New slot for UKTV

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    Or they could create a new channel and actually put some money in to it or is that just crazy thinking? I mean it really paid off with Dave.

Dave wasn't a new channel. It was a rebranding and relaunch of UKTV G2. They did change the line-up slightly, with The Catherine Tate Show (for example) no longer fitting the target market. No money at all was put into programmes at that stage - Dave only showed programmes from the BBC's and, I think, Thames TV's archives. Programmes like Argumental and the new series of Red Dwarf came much later.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKTV G2 was the test, that started to go outside it's target market and once they saw it was successful then they launched Dave basically just a new name and then proceed with re-branding the whole network.

What they seem to be doing at the moment is pay channels that are doing poorly are seeming to be getting revamped and launched on Freeview, I guess In order to boost viewers and revenues.

It just seems at the moment blighty does not fit into any real category of programming there are a few was they could and hope they do go with the channel!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope that whatever service replaces DJV it's worth watching with a mix of factual, comedy and drama.

I'm sure UKTV have the rights to a lot of programming they don't hammer to death and could filter that in to make a channel that has a fairly wide appeal.

Part of me would much prefer GOLD as it would appear we are about to loose that from TUTV unless we hear anything different in the next few days so bang goes another service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong but I would suggest that GOLD will be the new channel. My reasons for thinking this are...

No new listing on Top Up TV's 14 day EPG which suggests it will be leaving the platform and later this month the re-boot of Yes Minister starts and as with Red Dwarf, UKTV will want maximum viewing available.

The GOLD listing on TUTV end on the 15th of this month so it will be interesting to see what happens around that date.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit annoying that they've chosen to put the new series of Yes Prime Minister on GOLD, since there's no HD version. :(
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but I would suggest that GOLD will be the new channel.
    I'm beginning to think that as well, for the same reasons as you. I hope so, honestly can't think of a better option.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting also that Dave are showing four episodes of the original Yes Prime Minister tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Also the new Yes Prime Minister starts on the 15th... Lets hope there is a re-tune on the start of next week.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Also the new Yes Prime Minister starts on the 15th... Lets hope there is a re-tune on the start of next week.

If they were planning this all along, then why bother (re-)launching Dave ja vu on Freeview for two weeks?
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    If they were planning this all along, then why bother (re-)launching Dave ja vu on Freeview for two weeks?

It would possibly make sense if they were waiting for the contract with TUTV to expire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    It would possibly make sense if they were waiting for the contract with TUTV to expire.

It all comes back to Top Up TV!
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it been confirmed that GOLD,is leaving Topuptv? I don't think we should go by the EPG as it been wrong in the past and could be updated soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the showing of 'old' Yes Prime Minister on Dave is significant, although I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with any replanning of the UKTV portfolio in connection with this new Freeview slot. Although it's an all-time great in terms of comedy, it doesn't seem to quite fit in to the usual Dave remit. I reckon they're doing it firstly so they can give the new YPM a lot of promotion while it's on, and also perhaps beacuse they have plans to give the new series a showing on Dave after it has been run on Gold, so that Freeview viewers can see it.

I tend to agree with chrisy that it's too soon to expect any development on the permanent occupant of this new slot. I reckon we'll be waiting until the spring or summer for any further news on that.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »

It doesn't make any sense does it - you would just put a "coming soon" slide or Preview Channel up wouldn't you?
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    It doesn't make any sense does it - you would just put a "coming soon" slide or Preview Channel up wouldn't you?
    Well Dave ja vu never totally left Freeview did it - it was still on the EPG even though it only showed 1 hour of programming overnight.
    What would they put on a slide anyway if they are not able to mention Gold (due to the TUTV contract)?
    At least this way they can give their advertisers a bit of a freebie with extra exposure for a couple of weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Dave ja vu never totally left Freeview did it - it was still on the EPG even though it only showed 1 hour of programming overnight.
    What would they put on a slide anyway if they are not able to mention Gold (due to the TUTV contract)?
    At least this way they can give their advertisers a bit of a freebie with extra exposure for a couple of weeks.
    It showed 2 hours 2am-4am. It is interesting to see what's planned!

Lets assume top up closes down or GOLD and Home leave Top Up. Whatever the new channel is it will go on 20, then 2 other channels probably Dave Ja Vu back on 25 for a few hours a day and I Guess Yesterday+1 for a few hours a day on 26 just to keep the slots!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I do think the showing of 'old' Yes Prime Minister on Dave is significant, although I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with any replanning of the UKTV portfolio in connection with this new Freeview slot. Although it's an all-time great in terms of comedy, it doesn't seem to quite fit in to the usual Dave remit. I reckon they're doing it firstly so they can give the new YPM a lot of promotion while it's on, and also perhaps beacuse they have plans to give the new series a showing on Dave after it has been run on Gold, so that Freeview viewers can see it.

I tend to agree with chrisy that it's too soon to expect any development on the permanent occupant of this new slot. I reckon we'll be waiting until the spring or summer for any further news on that.

It might mean, for example, that UKTV could show a bit more Gold content on Dave but not actually launch the popular Gold itself on Freeview but just keep it as a profitable subscription channel. That, in turn, might indicate that one of the other UKTV channels, Home, Eden or Blighty, might be coming to Freeview at some future stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The general view seems to be Blighty will/could replace DJV due to it's poor broadcast numbers with a revamped layout of programmes.

I think, if I am being honest, that GOLD would just be wishful thinking as as far I am aware it still reasonable numbers compared to Blighty and Eden so based on previous form by UKTV Blighty would be the service to go free to air when they replace DJV.

On the other hand if they moved GOLD to free to air it could only help boost it's position increase advert revenue as there isn't a freeview comedy station just bits and bobs so it could equally be a viable idea depending on the companies long term thinking etc.

Anyone got a crystal ball?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    hello watch would be similar to itv3
    home would be different
    gold would be my choice could rival itv3 plus it shows good shows
    watch don't know much about that
    eden we have enough of those wildlife and those shows on bbc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    I don't know why anybody would even want GOLD. Dave is pretty much what UKTV Gold was like when it was any good. GOLD is now mostly rubbish. It just keeps clinging to its premium reputation some how.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOLD I think keeps it place out of a sense of nostalgia.

Yes there are lots of repeats but every so often then come up with something new that makes you take an interest again.

If it did go free to air it would, according to some views in other areas of the forum, match ITV3 or better it. Then of course if it went free to air Dave to change up it's broadcasting somewhat and maybe pick up some additional programmes etc.

But at the end of the the day until UKTV say what they plan to do we are all still guessing, isn't it fun.

Anyway I would like GOLD as I might finally get to see a few episodes of Sykes again, haven't seen them in years and boxsets just aren't the same, blame my age and how we use to look forward to the next show next week back in the 'good old days'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave seems to be aimed at a somewhat younger audience than many of Gold's programmes - which is why I thought Yes Prime Minister looked out of place on Dave the other night. Looking at Gold's schedule today they have As Time Goes By, The Liver Birds, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, Steptoe & Son, Open All Hours, Yes Minister (old) /Yes Prime Minister (new), Last of the Summer Wine (this last one admittedly also shown a lot on Yesterday)

All these programmes must appeal more to slightly older viewers who might be less likely to have Sky, so in a way it seems odd that Gold is the channel to be part of a Sky package, whilst Dave is available free to air via Freeview.

It doesn't really seem quite logical to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    All these programmes must appeal more to slightly older viewers who might be less likely to have Sky, so in a way it seems odd that Gold is the channel to be part of a Sky package, whilst Dave is available free to air via Freeview.

It doesn't really seem quite logical to me.
    Dave is more likely to support itself through advertising. It is aimed at the younger audience, the same audience that goes out, earns money, and buys things.

The more mature audience is less likely to go out and buy lots of shiny things, and more likely to hang on to the money they have to buy the essentials.

That is likely why GOLD is on Sky. It needs the added subscription income to support it, because it cannot be supported by its target audience alone.

TBH, I can't see GOLD on Freeview without a change in programming, at which point it will cease to be the channel that everybody so desperately wanted in the first place. :D

Still, we'll see.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Can't see it being GOLD - then again, i don't think i'd want it to be GOLD - i loved UK Gold when it started back in 1992, now it's the same old stuff day in, day out!
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    now it's the same old stuff day in, day out!
    Possibly because there is no new "old stuff" being made :)