Mozilla Firefox sometimes closes down (after opening)

Over the past few days now, once I have opened Mozilla Firefox and it's in full use (e.g. composing an email), it suddenly cuts out/closes down - as if I haven't yet opened it! I haven't touched any unusual keys....sometimes it has done this when I haven't even been typing, e.g. just reading a site.

Occasionally, when I open it again, I have found that my post/email is restored....but not always!

What I want to know is:-

(a) why is this happening, i.e. whose fault - the browser? (do I need to tell them) or is it my laptop maybe going wrong?

(b) what, if anything, can be done about it.

I welcome feedback on this perplexing situation. Thanks.

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    why is this happening, i.e. whose fault - the browser?

Try using IE for a while and if it still does it then it could be the laptop at fault. Try plugging in a mouse to see does it make a difference.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    Yeah I always use a mouse.

Don't have the IE browser and am reluctant to install it - heard it's problematic and not compatible with a chat site I frequent.

So, sounds like it's not the browser's fault then, i.e. no-one else experiencing this problem?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    You will have IE if you are using Windows, its built in . Look in programs it should be there.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you got the most up to date version? go to Help>About Firefox to see

The last few versions did this for me, crashing randomly etc.. the current version seems better, although any firefox add ons you might have could cause problems too.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    new windows 8 p.c., had firefox crash few times this week ,opened up download's and still had another version installed which i was trying ,supposedly faster ,can't remember name but uninstalled that and working fine now .
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your posts. So it seems not to be my laptop then.

I have windows 7 - will look into seeing whether I have the latest IE. However I do have a firefox addon, i.e. visual design of homepage - will this be affected if I install the latest IE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no FF add-on's will be affected by IE ,your add-on on the other hand may just be the cause of firefox crashing (highly likely) ,i'd uninstall it then try firefox without it ,can always add latter if it's not the problem
    Forum Member
    REDBUS wrote: »
    no FF add-on's will be affected by IE ,your add-on on the other hand may just be the cause of firefox crashing (highly likely) ,i'd uninstall it then try firefox without it ,can always add latter if it's not the problem

I doubt it's the addon, i.e. visual display of home page since I installed this when I first downloaded the firefox browser (last year). Firefox cutting out has only recently started happening these past few weeks.

My IE is good till July this year...so, no need to download a new version? Won't I get a pop up telling me to install new edition anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    click help in firefox tab the 'restart with add-on's disabled' to see if add-on's are causing problems,there could have been updates needed/bug's with add-on or newer version could have beed updated ,won't do any harm

always better to download latest version of IE ,if firefox still crashes i'd try chrome then at least you can have add-blocker's/extensions ect.

if i was you i'd re-set firefox from help/troubleshoot problems run adobe flash uninstaller to make sure no older versions are on p.c. or leftovers of other versions then install fresh ,add-on's that change appearance of firefox can cause problems ,especially in older OS

older versions of IE will only cause problems ,especially security issues it really wont hurt to update to latest version ,if your IE and FF are using different versions of flash this will create problems ,only have one version running at any on time
    Forum Member
    Thanks Redbus - will try some of this. ;)