What equipment do I need to receive German RTL in the UK?

After today's devastating news about F1 coverage in the UK, I'm looking at viable alternatives to obtaining an FTA feed of next season's F1.

Looking on the wiki page for F1 broadcasting rights, I notice RTL (currently) have a HD FTA feed.

Is is possible to receive RTL in the UK, and if so, what size dish and receiver should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I currently have Freesat HD (not the sky offering)

Comments

• jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can get one, the old round 60cm dish with universal LNB pointing to Astra 1 series at 19.2degrees east. If not try getting a Zone 2 Sky dish which should come with the Universal LNB, The Zone 1 should work but you might get picture break up in bad weather.
    Depending on your make of Freesat HD Box you own, The Humax Foxsat HD has the option of non freesat mode which should allow you to, tune in to RTL's SD channel on Astra 1 and that is FTA. RTL's HD channel is encrypted I think. If you do not own the Humax, you can get a stand alone FTA receiver which is available at various prices from all good satellite retailers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Many thanks.

I do have the Humax HDR with a standard minidish.

My thoughts after your answer is to buy another larger minidish, and a Humax HD.

I'll probably seek a local installer to do it for me, as the cost will still be cheaper than paying for sky. I know I might not get hd or English audio, but I can mute the sound and listen to the 5 live radio feed.

Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTL HD is encrypted in "HD+". The German commercial HD channels are trying to moniterise their HD content (sounds familiar....)

Basically its a pay HD service. The SD feed is free in digitral and analogue (analogue until 30/4/12)
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,142
    Forum Member
    You won't need a Zone 2. If a Zone 1 works for you for Freesat then it will work for the Astra 1 satellites carrying the German channels; those satellites are just as strong - so you'll be able to use just another Zone 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TF! HD at 9 east shows the races, but no practice and no quali
  • remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    TF! HD at 9 east shows the races, but no practice and no quali

TF1 is only SD on 9e.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    bryhhh wrote: »
    My thoughts after your answer is to buy another larger minidish, and a Humax HD.

You do not need to buy another dish. I have a zone 1 dish aimed at 28 E, with a twin Inverto LNB for 19.2 E cable tied to the right side of the existing Zinwell quad LNB as you look from the front of the dish. The feeds from the LNBs go to 2 diseqc switches feeding a Foxsat HD and a Foxsat HDR. In non freesat mode, changing from an Astra 2 to an Astra 1 channel is as easy as normal channel changing.

The signal strength and quality for Astra 1 are as good as Astra 2. I was very surprised that I had to mount the additional LNB so close to the original.
  • SchnuffiSchnuffi Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    deejay wrote: »
    You do not need to buy another dish. I have a zone 1 dish aimed at 28 E, with a twin Inverto LNB for 19.2 E cable tied to the right side of the existing Zinwell quad LNB as you look from the front of the dish. The feeds from the LNBs go to 2 diseqc switches feeding a Foxsat HD and a Foxsat HDR. In non freesat mode, changing from an Astra 2 to an Astra 1 channel is as easy as normal channel changing.

The signal strength and quality for Astra 1 are as good as Astra 2. I was very surprised that I had to mount the additional LNB so close to the original.
    You had to tie it so close because your dish is very small.
    It is roughly 10° the larger the dish the longer the arm so on a very large the lnb´s don´t touch at all.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    English commentary should be available on all races via Radio 5 Live and the last time I tried it was almost in synch with the RTL broadcasts.

Note for those wanting RTL in HD - you only need a HD+ receiver from Germany which comes complete with the required card (which I believe lasts at least a year) from around 130 Euros see here for product range - http://www.hd-plus.de/#/wie-empfange-ich-hd-plus/hd-plus-receiver/produkt-finder.

Note also that the HD+ card also gives the following HD channels
    Comedy Central HD
    kabel eins HD
    N24 HD
    Nickelodeon HD
    ProSieben HD
    RTL Television HD
    RTL 2 HD
    Sat.1 HD
    sixx HD
    SPORT1 HD
    Vox HD
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remlap wrote: »
    TF1 is only SD on 9e.

Does TF1 carry adverts during the race? If not that might be a better option for me (from 5W) as it looks like trees are right in the way of Astra 1 - although Hotbird should be clear (going to need to mount at ground level unfortunately) - but apparently RTL Switzerland carried on Hotbird can be encrypted. 5W is just in line with the rear of houses though, if Dish pointer is accurate should just be clear enough.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,142
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    Does TF1 carry adverts during the race? If not that might be a better option for me (from 5W) as it looks like trees are right in the way of Astra 1 - although Hotbird should be clear (going to need to mount at ground level unfortunately) - but apparently RTL Switzerland carried on Hotbird can be encrypted. 5W is just in line with the rear of houses though, if Dish pointer is accurate should just be clear enough.

You'll want 9°E for TF1. (Plus a DVB-S2 capable receiver). The analogue version on 5°W will close down at the end of November this year.

As for adverts during the race, I'm not sure. In general the French commercial channels tend to take longer, less frequent breaks anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam792 wrote: »
    You'll want 9°E for TF1. (Plus a DVB-S2 capable receiver). The analogue version on 5°W will close down at the end of November this year.

As for adverts during the race, I'm not sure. In general the French commercial channels tend to take longer, less frequent breaks anyway.

Damn, thought I'd filtered the analogue channels out when looking at the list!

Hmm, 9E for TF1 + 13E for RTL Schweiz and skipping the ads - now to find a cheap DVB-S2 with SCART output on all channels.
  • the_viasat_guythe_viasat_guy Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »

RTL CH is now FTA and will remain FTA for soldiers in Afganistan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Getting TF 1 digital from 5W is quite easy. Day trip to Calais and buy a Fransat receiver in LeRoy Merlin. Comes with a card.

£65 and 4 hours each way to get to a supermarket just to buy a receiver, hmm - might give that a miss!
  • borisd0borisd0 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I'm confused, not difficult.

When the dust has settled in this thread can someone summarise where F1 will be available next season FTA and what orbital position?
    Thanks.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    borisd0 wrote: »
    I'm confused, not difficult.

When the dust has settled in this thread can someone summarise where F1 will be available next season FTA and what orbital position?
    Thanks.

Completely FTA on RTL on 19.2 E and on RTL CH on 13 E.and on TF1 Suisse on 9E.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And don't forget the DAB radio, Freeview receiver or another satellite receiver, if you want English commentary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    So I need 28.2E 19.2E and 9E

May be able to squish them tight on my 65cm dish
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Completely FTA on RTL on 19.2 E and on RTL CH on 13 E.and on TF1 Suisse on 9E.

Fingers crossed the adverts won't be on at the same time. I got into satellites a few years back when ITV showed F1 to skip the ads but occasionally the ads were on at the same time on RTL and ITV.

Still looking for a channel that shows the F1 in HD with no adverts, but not having much luck. Will have a research of Polsat and see if it has adverts.
  • MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently I have a Foxsat HDR on a standard mini-dish with quad LNB. I will be adding an 80cm dish with single LNB for 19.2E and adding a diseqc switch on input 1 of the Foxsat.

Now, from what I understand is that will let me switch to either 19E or 28E in non-freesat mode and that is what I am after, but I have just found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330449823955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT which has a single output monoblock LNB for 19.2E and 13E which is more appealing to me.

What I would like to know is if this is workable in the configuration I am considering above, ie, will the single output monoblock which I assume has its own diseqc switch built-in work with another diseqc switch so I can share with my 28E dish? Hope that made sense.

I would prefer this option rather than mounting 2 LNB's and running either a second cable or replacing it with shotgun cable and having multiple switches etc, my idea is to keep it simple and as cheap as possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I've been considering my options and like yourself, I'm leaning towards getting a foxsat-hdr and feeding the different satellite feeds into lnb1 on the foxsat to maintain the dual recording. It looks like 28.2E, 19.2E, 13E and 9E fed into a four way diseqc switch is the way to go.
    AFAIK, you can't can't stack diseqc switches, I can see some twin 6 degree monoblocks on systemsat, but I don't know if they feed out the satellites separately or not.
  • borisd0borisd0 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Question from a novice.

Is 9E deg to 28.2E deg possible and satisfactory on a 80cm dish and LNB bracket?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, these look interesting http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?prod=Smart-Zappix-with-HDplus-Card&id=2813&catid=10&subcat=8 because the cam and card cost £99, and this box includes it, it means the box only effectively costs £39!

I don't want to pay anything really, but £139 and the £50 a year after the first year is up doesn't seem too bad for f1 in hd. Decisions :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thinking as my house mates are interested in the idea..

As I'm in a shared house I'm going to have to set up the dish at ground level and weight it down with some flagstones (using an aerial loft mount bracket screwed into a block of wood (probably a pallet)) and from there I should be able to get a cable to my room just fine (via a flat cable going though the bathroom's UPVC window then through a gap in the floor where the pipes go), but for the lounge I can't see a way of getting the cable into the house at all (the windows are rubbish aluminium sash windows that you can't even squeeze a sheet of A4 between)...

So what I was thinking was the lounge could use an old Sky Digibox I have kicking around (which hasn't seen the Astra 2 satellite since 2004) manually tuned to RTL through Add Channels and I would connect the cable to this via an open window before every qualifying session and the race and hope it's not too cold outside (but some cushions could fill the gap anyway)... Is this likely to work or is the Dodgybox going to throw a wobbly every time I need it?

I was then going to leave a proper FTA receiver connected upstairs in my room so I can check a couple of days before everything is okay.

Now obviously this would need a twin output LNB, but I have noticed that Monoblock LNBs with twin outputs and 6 degree separation are not much more expensive so what I was wondering is would a Dodgybox (presumably 19.2 would need to be the LNB with primary focus as the Dodgybox doesn't do Diseq) cope with that?

Final question, are Freesat boxes any good in FTA mode for coping with multiple satellites, and are they all equal or some better than others? Might be able to get a Freesat box of a friend quite cheap seeing as he's replaced it with Sky.

Lost track of all the satellite stuff, I think last time I knew anything SESAT would just about to be launched - typically that's the only one that carries Motors TV FTA :(