Computer fan goes crazy while asleep

len112len112 Posts: 4,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Recently i've been putting my computer into sleep mode but in the morning I've been finding the fan going full tilt while still apparently asleep .When I touch the keyboard to wake the computer it stays asleep . I have to hold down the power button to get it to shut down then I can restart it again .How can I diagnose this fault ?

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the title I pictured a person that was very passionate about computers :o
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    From the title I pictured a person that was very passionate about computers :o

Maybe if i'd posted in the showbiz forum .
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make/model/OS would be a good start, but may be better to hibernate it rather than putting it to sleep
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deli inspiron 530 core 2 quad Windows 7
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enter Event Viewer into the Start menu Search box and select Event Viewer from the results.

Have a look in the various logs it compiles for any error messages during the time it should be asleep. That might give a clue as to what is happening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Sleep (and also hibernate) mode is prone to issues with many desktop motherboards. The simplest solution is to shutdown the computer, and give it two or three minutes to be ready after being turned back on. Certainly if you're only doing this overnight, that would be a good idea anyway so that Windows can get rid of any accumulated garbage.

I'm not going to recommend this unless you know what you are doing, and the risks involved, but these sorts of issues are normally only able to be addressed with a motherboard BIOS update, which might be available on the Dell website. I'm not going to recommend it though as if the update goes wrong for any reason, you could be left with an unusable computer.