stories you didn't like first time but loved on rewatching...

allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For me-

The snowmen

Planet of the ood

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy's Choice and The Girl Who Waited
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor's Wife
    First time I watched it, I thought it was average (nothing special), but now after rewatching, I think it's great.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The doctor the widow and the wardrobe gets better every viewing. 42 gets worse awful episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bells of Saint John. I was indifferent first time - thought it was almost too slick - but it's really grown on me with repeat viewings.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The End of the World

The Shakespeare Code

Boom Town

Doesn't quite apply to the thread title question in that I enjoyed them enough on first viewing but they became real favourites the more and more I watched them.

For instance Boom Town sort of passed me by on first viewing. Admittedly I watched it while getting ready to go out and didn't give it full attention but it screamed filler while we waited for the big finale. It was only going back and watching again that I appreciated it for what it was and found alot to love. Now one of my favourites and certainly a high point of Ecclestones doctor.

I cant think of any episodes I thought were really poor that I've changed my mind about if I'm honest. If anything the ones I disliked the most only got worse upon rewatching.

I could more easily mention those that I loved to begin with and then fell out of love with on rewatching.

In fact I am gonna make a companion thread to this. Hope Allen Who doesn't mind!
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. A lot of season 2 didn't work for me, and this story was originally a big culprit for that. When I had the chance to see it again, it suddenly clicked for me! I rate this story now second to only The Girl in the Fireplace from that season. I still loathe Fear Her, Love & Monsters, New Earth etc... :D
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    For me The Unicorn and the Wasp, just passed me by first time and then watched again recently and found it much more enjoyable.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Unicorn and the Wasp for me too. I think I wasn't paying attention much the first time, but subsequent viewings I really enjoyed it.

Another was The Angels Take Manhattan. That is now one of my favourites, considering I'm not too much of a fan of Amy and Rory (or Smith's Doctor who really doesn't click for me), I think it's a great story.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I found most of series 5 to be a dull, soulless mess on first viewing but since giving it another go I have enjoyed it more. I wouldn't go as far to say I loved it though, it's still one of my least favourite (if not my least favourite) series of Nu-Who, but from repeat viewings I have found it's not as bad as I first thought.

Likewise with the first half of series 6.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna go for a real weird choice here and actually say The Twin Dilemma! :D

To be fair, I don't really love the story, compared to the story that immediately preceded it, well, there is no comparison really!

However, when I first watched this story back in '84, I really did hate it for obvious reasons. Davison had gone, to be replaced by this apparently violent successor and I hated every single minute of it.

When I watched it again many years on video, it still wasn't that great. I still had unhappy memories of Colin Baker at this time and had yet to see him again in later stories.

Now that I have watched the Sixth Doctor's Era right through, there is a lot more to appreciate in the story. You can see in very small segments his eventual interpretation coming through. Maurice Denham is great as Azmael and his death scene is quite touching.

And because there are even worse stories later on, i.e in Season 24, this story isn't as bad as I first thought, and in comparison to those.

Yes there's all the usual faults like the costume, the script, the Doctor's poor behaviour and the dodgy acting skills from the twins. There's nothing there to make me absolutely love it but I always look forward to watching it now. Somehow it's seeing all those faults that makes it watchable!

:D
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    All IMO here:

I didn't rate Boom Town much the first time I saw it, possibly because I saw it after the finale to Series 1, and it struck me as being too uneventful after the wonderful pyrotechnics of the ending - then I saw it again and realised it was a brilliant episode. Quiet, but powerful.

I still don't much like Series 5, but on rewatching I've been very impressed by Amy's Choice - again, a quietly-great episode. Rory's constant dying in the series grated on me, but Arthur Darvill's performance is very moving here. Amy isn't my favourite character, but I feel genuinely upset for her in this episode. And Matt gives one of his best performances here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horror Of Fang Rock
    The Kings Demons
    Caves Of Androzani
    The Two Doctors
    Delta And The Bannermen
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Delta And The Bannermen -- The first time I watched it, I didn't know enough about old-time BBC radio to get all the references and in-jokes. But now it's one of my favourite guilty pleasures.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet of the Ood definitely. didn't dislike it but thought it was ordinary at first.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Boom Town - I really liked it the first time, and now I realise I appreciate it even more.

42 - another story I quite liked, and now like even more. In fact the only episode I really like from Chibnall.

The Unicorn and the Wasp - great the first time, now one of my many favourites.

The Beast Below - hated this one the first time. How wrong I was, now one of my favourites from Smith's tenure, oddly enough.

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood - rewatched recently and nowhere near as bad as I remembered, but still among the weakest on offer from Series 5 onwards. I can't say I like this one much.

The God Complex - wasn't much bothered by this the first time, but it's great. Don't know what I was thinking!