McCoy, Baker and McGann want back

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They all said they want back and everyone around the world want them back except the producers. It's awfully sad really as this might just be Tom bakers last chance for a return and they don't want him

Comments

• Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I'd only want to see McGann back, the others look much older than they did when they originally left the show.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    They all said they want back and everyone around the world want them back except the producers. It's awfully sad really as this might just be Tom bakers last chance for a return and they don't want him

Has this actually been confirmed?
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    They could use old footage / CGI with a newly recorded voiceover for Tom if he wants to do it, it'd be great. Doesn't have to be a major part of the story, but even a brief cameo for the oldest living, and for a lot of people definitive, Doctor would be a brilliant gesture for an episode which is supposed to be celebrating 50 years of the series - not just a w***fest for the post 2005 era.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Actually, RT wrote an article about this based an an old interview they gave for the Australian media. The baker in question was Colin, not Tom.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    They could use old footage / CGI with a newly recorded voiceover for Tom if he wants to do it, it'd be great. Doesn't have to be a major part of the story, but even a brief cameo for the oldest living, and for a lot of people definitive, Doctor would be a brilliant gesture for an episode which is supposed to be celebrating 50 years of the series - not just a w***fest for the post 2005 era.

What would be the point of exchanging a w***fest for the post-2005 era in favour of a w***fest for the pre-2005 era? How would that be in any way a celebration? Why not skip the w***fest completely and just have a great story worthy of the whole 50 years?
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, RT wrote an article about this based an an old interview they gave for the Australian media. The baker in question was Colin, not Tom.

Yes I know it was Colin I'm just pointing out that this might be Tom's last chance to return
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

If by old you mean from earlier this week.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If by old you mean from earlier this week.

It was yesterday
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Yes I know it was Colin I'm just pointing out that this might be Tom's last chance to return

Ah okay :) Just you didn't mention Colin so it seemed like the "Baker" you were referring to in the title was Tom ;)
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    What would be the point of exchanging a w***fest for the post-2005 era in favour of a w***fest for the pre-2005 era? How would that be in any way a celebration? Why not skip the w***fest completely and just have a great story worthy of the whole 50 years?

It's being billed as a 50th anniversary special, not just an extra episode, which is a celebration of those 50 years not just the last 8. A brief cameo from a classic Doctor would be a "fanboy pleaser" rather than a w***fest - presumably Tennant will play a not insignificant role in the story, so why not also have a quick salute to one or more of the elder statesmen. I'd rather see that than see Rose Tyler coming back. Again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:May i say look aat the sscript before prromising a miracle
    ax thiss series zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, yes i aaaam the elephant in the tardis but howwver kool is tto bringg baack whats their names , it be better to have th sscrrippt pperfected like lassst year than dissjointed this year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I think it's a right shame that they are all being ignored and Billie Piper is coming back. do we really need to see her stupid face again in Dr Who? what tragic wasted oppertunity.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    It was yesterday

It was 2 or 3 days ago, the fan sites picked up on it yesterday, regardless it's not an old interview.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    A brief cameo from a classic Doctor would be a "fanboy pleaser" rather than a w***fest - presumably Tennant will play a not insignificant role in the story, so why not also have a quick salute to one or more of the elder statesmen.

We've had brief cameos before. They worked well. The problem is that there is no way to please the fanboys. Any cameo becomes a huge deal, any news of filming becomes huge expectation, which will never be satisfied by just a fleeting glimpse.

We saw the same thing in Asylum of the Daleks. The news came out that they were calling for as many Dalek models as they could get, the hype started to circulate that the episode would feature every Dalek ever, the Beeb made full use of the over-excitement, and when the episode showed people felt cheated that the old Daleks only got a couple of minutes of background work.

In short, it's almost impossible to do it without the expectation overshadowing the results. I would like for them to pull it off, but would rather they didn't try than try and disappoint.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Here's the link to video:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a472138/doctor-whos-sylvester-mccoy-producers-dont-want-old-doctors-back.html

Colin Baker says rather pragmatically, as McCoy is starting to get rather animated about it all that, apart from McGann they just don't look the part anymore.

I feel sad for the actors if they want to be involved as they have certainly given a lot to Doctor Who over the years but I do agree with Colin's view. I think it would be far more fitting if they can somehow utilise archive footage / CGI to bring classic doctors back and hopefully there are other things that the actors can be involved with.

And as for Tom, well he had his chance to come back in the Five Doctors and he blew it :) Let that be a warning to Eccleston :p
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that the two Baker's are morbidly obese (ironic) is the real impediment (IMO) to a return.

You can't really explain heavy weight gain with a handwave the same you can with ageing.
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    The fact that the two Baker's are morbidly obese (ironic) is the real impediment (IMO) to a return.

You can't really explain heavy weight gain with a handwave the same you can with ageing.

It looks like Colin has put back on the weight that he lost in the jungle unfortunately :(
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether they're overweight or too old-looking is irrelevant, they're contribution to the this iconic 50 year old show is as important as that made by Tennant and Piper, and should be recognised in the anniversary episode.

I regret to say that Classic Who fans will have to accept that the 50th Anniversary episode will predominantly be a celebration of New Who with a couple two token nods to the Classic series, i.e. the return of the Zygons and UNIT.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=John
    nyForget;65319458]Whether they're overweight or too old-looking is irrelevant, they're contribution to the this iconic 50 year old show is as important as that made by Tennant and Piper, and should be recognised in the anniversary episode. [/quote]

Who says? Fans with clear entitlement issues? Silver Nemesis didnt have any classic Doctors and it was an anniversary story. We don't need the classics back to have a good anniversary. Skyfall did perfectly well an anniversary flick without cameos from former Bonds (and the fact that was a rebooted continuity meant they could easily have afforded that, but they chose references instead and focused on a story that moved the current style forward)

Moffat's perfectly right. Let's not make this a fanfic for the old guard. It's time for new ideas and new stories...that is the best way to celebrate the show's enduring future. A show all about change must be about change.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Who says? Fans with clear entitlement issues? Silver Nemesis didnt have any classic Doctors and it was an anniversary story. We don't need the classics back to have a good anniversary. Skyfall did perfectly well an anniversary flick without cameos from former Bonds (and the fact that was a rebooted continuity meant they could easily have afforded that, but they chose references instead and focused on a story that moved the current style forward)

Moffat's perfectly right. Let's not make this a fanfic for the old guard. It's time for new ideas and new stories...that is the best way to celebrate the show's enduring future. A show all about change must be about change.

I'm all for new ideas and new stories and welcome them in the main Series, but the 50th Anniversary episode should be a very indulgent, nostalgic piece of cheese for Classic fans (in my opinion, of course).
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably reading too much into it but
    • Given that Davison has said that he and the others will do something for the Anniversary if they are not involved with the official episode.
    • Docs 5 - 8 are in Australia and New Zealand for a while
    • Peter Jackson has said he wants to direct an Episode of DW

Any chance they could end up filming something while they are there? ;)
    Forum Member
    I'm all for new ideas and new stories and welcome them in the main Series, but the 50th Anniversary episode should be a very indulgent, nostalgic piece of cheese for Classic fans (in my opinion, of course).

But if you're wanting to pay homage to the past then surely the whole point is that they don't look the part anymore? :)

I mean you only have to look at Colin Baker in the piccy at the top of that article and then see him being interviewed to see the difference and then of course there are all the actors that have passed away.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're going round in circles with these threads.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regret to say that Classic Who fans will have to accept that the 50th Anniversary episode will predominantly be a celebration of New Who with a couple two token nods to the Classic series, i.e. the return of the Zygons and UNIT.

You know this how?
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Silver Nemesis didnt have any classic Doctors and it was an anniversary story.

Ah yes, Silver Nemesis, that highly regarded anniversary story :D

You have 50 more years to celebrate "the future" and one chance to celebrate the history and legacy of this extraordinary show. It doesn't need every living actor who played the role of the Doctor or the part of companion but it does need some contribution from each era of the show in my opinion. Doctor Who didn't start in 2005, this is a celebration of 50 years since Totters Lane and that's what it should be about.