Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked.

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Hurrah.

He'll probably be delighted. After all, following his reprehensible comments about striking public sector workers in 2011 ("they should be lead outside and shot") he'll be glad he no-longer has to collect a pay cheque from a publicly funded broadcaster.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Haha could be true but until its announced by the BBC I won't belive it, And I for one will no longer watch it and I think the real top gear fans will do the same.

Anyone who takes over will fail as the ratings will plummet and will no doubt be pulled
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose there are 800 threads on every aspect of this "story" so the final chapter clearly deserved one of it's own :)

Anyway, in any other walk of life, punching a co-worker would be a sackable offence anyway so the idiot has only got himself to blame.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. Overrated tosspot.
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Anyway, in any other walk of life, punching a co-worker would be a sackable offence anyway so the idiot has only got himself to blame.

No! Don't you get it? The BBC is all to blame according to the blessed Saint Clarkson! *Rolleyes*

But in all seriousness whilst that knob Clarkson has no one to blame but himself, the BBC haven't helped by constantly letting him get away with all crap he's pulled and now as a result, they've created a monster with an ego so big the Sun in the solar system is jealous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting aside my own feelings towards the man, if anyone else behaved like he did at their workplace they would be sacked too so the BBC have made the correct decision no matter what any disappointed fans think. As a public service broadcaster they do have an example to set, in my humble opinion, and I'm glad they've done the right thing in this case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red-Eye wrote: »

But in all seriousness whilst that knob Clarkson has no one to blame but himself, the BBC haven't helped by constantly letting him get away with all crap he's pulled and now as a result, they've created a monster with an ego so big the Sun in the solar system is jealous.

Totally agree with this. The BBC are far from saintly themselves and I am reguarly aghast at what they get away with (the Cliff Richard police raid coverage being one example).
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »

Oh yeah, I forgot that they had Chris Evans.
    Shit.

I can't believe the results of that poll on their site.
    It asks whether you agree that Clarkson should be sacked, after the article reports that it was concluded that Clarkson launched a 20 minute verbal attack on a junior producer, and then actually did launch a 30 second physical attack on him as well.....yet 74% of people disagree that he should be sacked.

What's going on with the world? If you or I did what Clarkson did, obviously we're as good as fired. And if you were physically attacked by a work colleague, naturally you would expect the company to protect you from that kind of thing in the workplace.

I don't hate Clarkson or celebrate that he's to be sacked, but surely people have a reasonable grasp of what's right or wrong don't they?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate Clarkson or celebrate that he's to be sacked, but surely people have a reasonable grasp of what's right or wrong don't they?

No sadly no.
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    It asks whether you agree that Clarkson should be sacked, after the article reports that it was concluded that Clarkson launched a 20 minute verbal attack on a junior producer, and then actually did launch a 30 second physical attack on him as well.....yet 74% of people disagree that he should be sacked.

What's going on with the world? If you or I did what Clarkson did, obviously we're as good as fired. And if you were physically attacked by a work colleague, naturally you would expect the company to protect you from that kind of thing in the workplace.

Tragic and incredibly frustrating isn't it? Nasty, ignorant "telling it like it is" attitudes have become such a common place on earth I now sometimes feel I'm the only sane person left on it! :(

I'd like to say I'm shocked by the 74% Poll but sadly I'm not, nothing involving Saint Clarkson and his loyal fandom surprises me anymore and it's reasons like this why I'm no longer a fan of Top Gear.

Seriously, the whole "Save Clarkson and Top Gear" malarky is such an undeserving First World Problem it would be hilarious if it wasn't so hair pulling frustrating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sadly no.

Agreed. :(

This incident has proved that the vast majority of people (including our own Prime Minister) think you should be able to do whatever you like and get away with it. It's very disheartening.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »

This incident has proved that the vast majority of people (including our own Prime Minister) think you should be able to do whatever you like and get away with it. It's very disheartening.

As long as the 'you' in question is a white male, went to the right school/is mates with those who went to the right school and has lots of money.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »

Not everybody, only chosen ones. And it's nothing new. Does some composer's music outweighs them being a dick? Clarkson has a big appeal to his viewers, that's not something everybody has. Is that enough for him to make a life hell to his coworkers and get away with it?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If video footage of the verbal/physical assault was available I think it would change peoples minds strongly.

For some reason it's not "real" until there are pictures.

As things stand Clarkson has a future as a broadcaster, but if video did exist of the situation and was seen by the world then I think his time would be up.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true I am delighted
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shit.

Whilst the crimes themselves are in no way comparable, I can't help but compare it to Jimmy savile.

Imagine in 20 years people coming forward about a culture of fear and physical attacks. I imagine the same clinical morons saying he should stay would be saying they thought he was a thug.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I think Top Gear would be a better programme without Clarkson presenting. I've watched the show occasionally despite him rather than because of him and always thought he was the most annoying amongst them, passing off immaturity as every-man appeal whilst never missing an opportunity to have a not so subtle dig at someone. Fair to say, I'm not a fan.

However that's really irrelevant as this case seems to be a disciplinary matter for his personal behaviour rather than a critique of his presenting skills and personality. Not many people keep their jobs after lifting their hands to a fellow employee, especially not in a high profile position.

That Telegraph article shows just how often he's offended someone. You've got to ask, if you're offending people so often, could you possibly be just a bit out of line in your behaviour? I can't think of any other shows/people that manage to offend various countries on such a regular basis.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Shit.

The 74% are easily impressed with the power of celebrity.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    Good. Overrated tosspot.

I agree. He is. And if he gets the sack today, it should put him in his place, and that he is not untouchable.

I laugh when they call him a 'great talent'. Fair enough he has a lot of knowledge about cars, but so do many men...AND WOMEN.

Aside from that, what is his talent? Take away the insults and abuse (rather like Katie Hopkins) and what do you have? Nothing.

It's so easy for him to say, 'all the unemployed should be shot'. It puts him back in the news. He knows that. He's literally laughing all the way to the bank.

As regards Top Gear: yes, it is sold over the world, but please remember, many countries have their own presenters. These guys are just buying the rights to the show. Not Jeremy Clarkson.

A big, overgrown schoolboy just about sums him up. Never did a day's work in his life.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. He is. And if he gets the sack today, it should put him in his place, and that he is not untouchable.

I laugh when they call him a 'great talent'. Fair enough he has a lot of knowledge about cars, but so do many men...AND WOMEN.

Aside from that, what is his talent? Take away the insults and abuse (rather like Katie Hopkins) and what do you have? Nothing.

It's so easy for him to say, 'all the unemployed should be shot'. It puts him back in the news. He knows that. He's literally laughing all the way to the bank.

As regards Top Gear: yes, it is sold over the world, but please remember, many countries have their own presenters. These guys are just buying the rights to the show. Not Jeremy Clarkson.

A big, overgrown schoolboy just about sums him up. Never did a day's work in his life.
    Thats absolute nonsense.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Thats absolute nonsense.

Driving a fast car and writing drivel in the Sun each week is not work. ;)

Going down a coal mine. Slogging it out digging holes for the council. Working on a building site. That's work. :)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driving a fast car and writing drivel in the Sun each week is not work. ;)

Going down a coal mine. Slogging it out digging holes for the council. Working on a building site. That's work. :)
    Do you have an idea as to how long it takes to film Top Gear?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 74% are easily impressed with the power of celebrity.

If Clarkson did punch one of his co-workers, then the people out there defending him are likely the type who would defend their favourite footballer when it came to almost anything.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shit.

The excuses made for him are mind-boggling, even that it's the producer's job to take anything that Clarkson throws at him. But, mainly, 'we like him so don't spoil our fun, regardless of the morality of it'. That he is responsible for his own actions doesn't seem to come into it. It's as if it happened to him and the cause is some dark outside force plotting against him and as if white, middle class, heterosexual rich men were rarities in places of power and influence and that others ought to feel sorry for them.

Some of his apologists would mock anyone getting their knickers in a twist so disproportionately about a celebrity on a TV show, if it wasn't one they approved of. It's like some 'me, me, me, not you, me' cult. It's as they feel if their own sense of self is being attacked by Clarkson's downfall.