Bluray Remote Drains the Battery in 24 Hours!

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Logik LBD2000 Bluray player that I use in my bedrroom. I bought the player a couple of years ago second hand. Whilst the player itself works just fine, I have always had issues with the remote. Weirdly, it seems to drain batteries stupidly fast, in that I can open a brand new set of AAA batteries, pop two in, initially it works fine but 24 hours later they are completely dead. :eek: I have put them on a battery tester and tried them in another remote, completely dead.

I can make the batteries last a bit better if I remember to take them out as soon as I finish using the remote but this is hardly convenient and it is very easy to forget and then it wastes another set of batteries. :mad:

The obvious answer is another remote but as they can be quite pricey I am reluctant to buy one in case it has the same issue i.e. could it be some kind of manufacturing error in Logik Bluray remotes?

Is there a cheap (less than £10) multifunction remote that is known to work the Logik LBD2000?

Actually what could cause a remote to drain batteries this badly? I've never had any other remote do this before, and I've used plenty.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's faulty. Even if you tapped all the buttons down so that it is permanently emitting signals it should not drain the battery that fast. And if a button were trapped down then I would not expect the remote to work that well.

I've actually had the equivalent of a remote with a load of buttons stuck down happen to me. I had a remote get hidden under a book that was pressing down several buttons on it. The resulting flood of infra red was stopping the other remotes working properly. This went on for a couple of days before I twigged what was going on. The batteries in the affected remote were perfectly fine despite operating continuously for well over 24 hours. And continue to be OK many weeks later.

So based on that I would suggest your remote is faulty as it should go on for months if not years on one set of batteries.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Any Logitech Harmony remote will work -- and the 200 is sometimes available for around £10.

(and yes, I do know it will work -- I have an LBD2000 and am controlling it with a Harmony 525 -- all the harmony remotes have the same database to pull codes from).
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would expect any of the cheap remotes to work.

This one comes highly recommended.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Crap-Universal-Remote-Control-Buy-Your-Own-Risk-Want-Rid-These-/260887524656
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I would expect any of the cheap remotes to work.

This one comes highly recommended.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Crap-Universal-Remote-Control-Buy-Your-Own-Risk-Want-Rid-These-/260887524656

That is pretty funny, even with that description I was tempted to take a punt, £2.99 with shipping seems like a no brainer but it looks like it is only for TVs from the picture and I doubt he would refund me if it didn't work the Bluray.... :p
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    That is pretty funny, even with that description I was tempted to take a punt, £2.99 with shipping seems like a no brainer but it looks like it is only for TVs from the picture and I doubt he would refund me if it didn't work the Bluray.... :p

Almost all cheap remotes are variations on the same base URC22 design.

I have a few of these, and none of them work with the Logik.

That said, the manufacturers do update the firmware regularly, so while you can't update these very cheap remotes yourself, it's possible that a current URC22 would work.

Don't waste your money spending 3 or 4 quid on one of these though -- either go the whole tenner and buy an internet-supported remote like the Logitech, or buy a cheap URC22 from a pound shop.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Any Logitech Harmony remote will work -- and the 200 is sometimes available for around £10.

(and yes, I do know it will work -- I have an LBD2000 and am controlling it with a Harmony 525 -- all the harmony remotes have the same database to pull codes from).

I have found the 200 here for £10: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Harmony-200-Universal-Remote-Control-All-in-one-TV-DVD-Sky-Freeview-/290810230440?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item43b5a3f6a8&_uhb=1 It says it's a refurb but it would do, they seem to be nearer £20 in the shops and I'm not paying that as the player was only a bit more than that to begin with! :D

Can it do everything you need for DVD/Bluray playback i.e. access the (disc) menu and the normal playback control. If so I definitely think I'll get one, might even be able to get it to do the TV too (37" Techwood circa around 2007).
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    I have found the 200 here for £10: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Harmony-200-Universal-Remote-Control-All-in-one-TV-DVD-Sky-Freeview-/290810230440?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_RemoteControls&hash=item43b5a3f6a8&_uhb=1 It says it's a refurb but it would do, they seem to be nearer £20 in the shops and I'm not paying that as the player was only a bit more than that to begin with! :D

Can it do everything you need for DVD/Bluray playback i.e. access the (disc) menu and the normal playback control. If so I definitely think I'll get one, might even be able to get it to do the TV too (37" Techwood circa around 2007).

It *will* control *everything*, and you can reprogram individual buttons to do anything in the database. (These are programmed over the internet, and the database is mahoosive).

Any buttons that may be missing can be easily learned from the original remote also.

They even often have the codes for the 'special' remotes that unlock DVD/BluRay players' factory menus (allowing you to make them region-free etc).
  • g jonesg jones Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently purchased this one for all for £4.99 in Home Bargains.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-For-All-Energy-Saver-URC-8350-Universal-remote-control-Infrared-/181024285222?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2a25e36226
    It has a learning feature so as long as your old remote is usable as it appears to be in your original post it will do the job and also control your tv.
    As a bonus you could also turn off your bedroom lamps whilst still under the sheets :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It's faulty. Even if you tapped all the buttons down so that it is permanently emitting signals it should not drain the battery that fast.

Yes it would - 24 hours continuous use sounds about right for battery life.

But as everyone has said, his remote is simply faulty.

First off is to strip it down and see if anything has been spilt in it (VERY common), this could leave it permanently ON, or just drain the battery across the corrosion.

As for an actual 'fault', most likely candidate would be the large electrolytic directly across the battery, I've known these go leaky or S/C - and it's quite tricky to find one small enough to fit in (but it's a VERY important part of the remote).
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Use the camera on your phone to see if it`s permanently emitting signals

http://youtu.be/DLx4zBKTSiM