Samsung Galaxy S4 "Google Edition"

Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here is the article I read.

I wonder if this is true? I think it sounds too good to be true tbh.

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Certainly be popular in some quarters without doubt I may even be tempted as I was a little disappointed with the n4 but this is best of both worlds maybe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a terrible website. Cant read a bloody thing on mobile. Img and feats all over the plave.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I think it sounds too good to be true tbh.

yes, that was my conclusion. nice idea though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a terrible website. Cant read a bloody thing on mobile. Img and feats all over the plave.

here's android authority's report
    http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s4-google-edition-209440/
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yes, that was my conclusion. nice idea though!

Whats in it for Google, for doing this? It will kill off their Nexus line surely?

Or Samsung could just go this alone couldn't they? I can't see google playing an active hand in this at all.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a bad idea, actually. Touchwiz is awful imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Whats in it for Google, for doing this? It will kill off their Nexus line surely?

I would imagine Google would love it if all manufacturers offered vanilla Android. more consistency, speedier updates, more focus on Google services rather than manufacturer tie-ins.

If it meant that the (not-particularly profitable) Nexus line could be retired, I think they'd be ok with that.
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I put CM10 on my S3 now and again but I always go back to touchwiz. It looks and feels better, and has no bugs.

Buying an S4 with touchwiz and an easy option to change to aosp without bricking it would be better.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or Samsung could just go this alone couldn't they? I can't see google playing an active hand in this at all.

Why would this kill the Nexus line? Every Nexus phone is by definition a developers device, this new S4 would not be that although it would no doubt be popular with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    I put CM10 on my S3 now and again but I always go back to touchwiz. It looks and feels better, and has no bugs.

Buying an S4 with touchwiz and an easy option to change to aosp without bricking it would be better.

Each to their own but I don't think many power users like the way that TW makes Jelly Bean look like Gingerbread.

There is no reason why Samsung couldn't offer much of their crap as removable apps allowing the consumer choice. There is no excuse for spoiling the classy Holo look of Android with how they modify all the menus etc. And if they did that the updates would roll out much more quickly.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Can't see what Samsung would get out of this as they want you to use Touch Wiz as that is their selling point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Can't see what Samsung would get out of this as they want you to use Touch Wiz as that is their selling point.

not really any different to them making the Galaxy Nexus though is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then better to just make a nexus then! why have an S4 where they championed all these features, and then have another phone called an S4, which is no different from a nexus which is cheaper?? what is the point?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then better to just make a nexus then! why have an S4 where they championed all these features, and then have another phone called an S4, which is no different from a nexus which is cheaper?? what is the point?

maybe it won't be called the s4 ;)
  • AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    This is very interesting.

I have a Nexus S as a spare phone, made by Samsung, very good phone still.

Would like the S4 without all the guff...

I wonder how much this might cost ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unlocked AOSP LTE device is a very attractive idea. And many will appreciate the option of expandable storage as well. I bet an AOSP S4 would have slightly more usable storage compared to the bloaty TW version.

Sony has set the precedent here with putting the Xperia S (and now I believe the Z as well) in the AOSP fold. It would be interesting to see how this has worked out for anyone who has made the switch to pure Google. The advantage of the Sony way is that any supported device can just flash to AOSP. I wonder if Sammy will offer that option?

Come on HTC are you watching?
  • AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    If it does happen it will probably (?) get updates quicker (?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonymcQ wrote: »
    If it does happen it will probably (?) get updates quicker (?)

Yes updates will appear far quicker than on a skinned version of Android.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

And that's maybe one reason they don't make it now - -they have gone their own way.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

It's called choice!! :D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed by Google now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $649 unlocked from the US Play Store.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $649 unlocked from the US Play Store.

That's quite expensive.

I can't see why anyone would pick it over a Nexus 4 tbh.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    That's quite expensive.

Samsung won't give it to Google subsidised because they would rather people buy the touchwiz version but hopefully it's the start of manufactures offering vanilla versions because I think they is a big market of people that don't want android skins.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    That's quite expensive.

Thats very cheap based on conversion rate around £420 I would have that over the nexus easily