Kojak and Magnum on ITV4

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
These two classic American detective shows are being repeated on ITV4 from Monday

Kojak 3pm
Magnum 4pm

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    These two classic American detective shows are being repeated on ITV4 from Monday

Kojak 3pm
    Magnum 4pm

Great, thanks for this, love Kojak, used to record it before when it was on Itv 1 at about 3 in the morning, and havn't seen Magnum for yonks, will record both :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Great, thanks for this, love Kojak, used to record it before when it was on Itv 1 at about 3 in the morning, and havn't seen Magnum for yonks, will record both :D

I don't think Magnum has been shown in British tv for donkey's years
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great news, love Magnum PI. I remember it last being on Channel 5 in a mid morning slot about 11 years ago.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magnum was being shown on DMAX not too long ago. Used to be weekend breakfast TV for me.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just came here to post this news! :)

Unlikely to watch many but Kojak is a bit of classic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I don't think Magnum has been shown in British tv for donkey's years

Its been a a good while since ive seen it, still a good'un though, Higgins and his 2x dogs, and his mate with the chopper :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harvey Keitel is playing a thug in today's episode of Kojak
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't that initial magnum story really DARK!!!!!
    thankfully they got rid of the narration :D

also WHO LUVS YU BABYYYYYYY ..... anyone notice NO TITLES at the start?

oh yeah, if you're watching on a widescreen tv, zoom it in!
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought i'd give both these programmes a try yesterday.I had never seen an episode of Kojak before.I thought it was alright & i'll give todays episode a watch.It was nice to see the old movie cliche of the car that is being chased driving through a stack of empty cardboard boxes :D

I remember Magnum when I was younger but for some reason I couldn't get into it.I'll stick with it just now & see what happens.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Caught an episode of Magnum the other day. Loved it, I had forgotten how cheesy it was but had some quality dialogue and chemistry between the actors in it. And Tom Selleck is still the only man to look sexy in a tache!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its been a a good while since ive seen it, still a good'un though, Higgins and his 2x dogs, and his mate with the chopper :D

Ooer missus!!!
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magnum P.I. was one of the best american made series of the 80's and I'll more than happily watch it again. Now if some channel out there could secure the rights to show Hunter again, all 7 seasons, subsequent tv movies and the short-lived series return in 2003. I'd be very happy.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digressing.

Kojack, when the show on TV was very popular with my kids, was a useful aid I gave them to remember the names of Henry Vlll's wives, if it ever came up in a history lesson.

It was helped by the fact that he married the "A's and C/Ks" in alphabetical order of their surname.

Changing the word to "Cajack"

You got;

C atherine of Aragon
    A nne Boleyn
    J ane Seymour
    A nn of Cleves
    C atherine Howard
    K atherine Parr.

"Not a lot of people know that."
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Magnum was being shown on DMAX not too long ago. Used to be weekend breakfast TV for me.

They showed a limited series on Magnum, which must have been on a loop, so I hope they have the rights for the complete series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, can't watch Magnum today, picture froze end of Kojak, came back, Magnum was about to start, went to white screen with ITV 4 logo on it, when it came back, the first ad break was on, so missed the beginning!

Its on again in the morning, but seen as its a repeat of todays, it'll probably be the same. :(

Itv 3 froze a couple of times during Frost as well.
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too episode today which was made 1980 but when rick was reading about the girls he mentions Class of 1982. So is MPI set 2 years in the future ! ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prilicla wrote: »
    Watching Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too episode today which was made 1980 but when rick was reading about the girls he mentions Class of 1982. So is MPI set 2 years in the future ! ??

When "Class of Whatever Year" is mentioned the date refers to the year of graduation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kojak was buggered as well, as that had froze before the end, so id missed the end of that, and the first half of Magnum, but luckily, the repeats the following morning were fine :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kojak was buggered as well, as that had froze before the end, so id missed the end of that, and the first half of Magnum, but luckily, the repeats the following morning were fine :)

That's a relief I thought it was just my tv that was playing up
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magnum looks really good in HD, given it is 30 years old. :)

Be glad when we get the proper Magnum theme back next week instead of the one used for the first 9 episodes.

He could do with Zeus and Apollo on the streets of New York these days in Blue Bloods!
  • PHPPHP Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Magnum looks really good in HD, given it is 30 years old. :)

Kojak is amazing in HD, I don't know what it was originally filmed in, but I'm hoping the Rockford Files is as crisp.
    Most of our tv shows were recorded on video tape, so no hope for any improvements :cry:
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC showed early Avengers episodes a few years ago. These were made on film and even in SD looked stunning.

I expect an HD transmission of these would look as good as these US shows do 30 years on. Wonder why this has not occurred.

Given all the mentions of '5 0' on Magnum they could do a crossover episode with an aged Thomas and the modern day TV remake of 5 0. That would be nice. I guess Tom Selleck's association with Blue Bloods would scupper it for now.

Loving the scenery on Hawaii having been to 'Robin Masters' estate on Oahu. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given all the mentions of '5 0' on Magnum they could do a crossover episode with an aged Thomas and the modern day TV remake of 5 0. That would be nice. I guess Tom Selleck's association with Blue Bloods would scupper it for now.

Loving the scenery on Hawaii having been to 'Robin Masters' estate on Oahu. :)

According to Wikipedia, Magnum P.I. has been referenced on the 5-0 remake

The successor series to Hawaii Five-O, Hawaii Five-0, paid tribute to Magnum, P.I. when in the 2013 episode "Hoa Pili" the cast referenced the show Magnum, P.I. as they were flying over the island in a helicopter to the sound of the Magnum, P.I. theme

However from that it would appear that in the world of Five-O, Magnum is a fictional tv show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was absolutely pissing at the one where they went to rescue Higgins from Lazeronics, when he was carrying that dummy that was supposed to be Higgins, on his back up the steps, was bloody hilarious that! :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was absolutely pissing at the one where they went to rescue Higgins from Lazeronics, when he was carrying that dummy that was supposed to be Higgins, on his back up the steps, was bloody hilarious that! :D

I was too distracted by the fact that Erin Gray was in that episode. She was one of my 80s crushes.