.MOV Files for Windows Movie Maker Problem.

Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
Forum Member
✭✭
Good afternoon people.

I am hoping that one of you very excellent people can help me with a problem I have importing .MOV files into Windows Movie Maker.

First of all, let me point out that when it comes to techie stuff, I am worse than useless, almost everything just right over my head. So I apologise if I ask, what may seem, stupid questions and that I ask you to explain things in simpler terms. :)

As I understand it, Movie Maker does not recognise .MOV files (I presume it is down to Microsoft vs Apple rivalry). I have bought a new dashboard camera for my car (A Mobius Action Cam, brilliant piece of hardware if you are considering recording car journeys), but, because it records using .MOV files, I cannot edit it in Windows Movie Maker. Is there a safe way to either convert it to a compatible file type or can anyone suggest an easy to use and free movie maker software I can use.

Thank you. :D

Comments

• JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Converting is easy,

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

I can't advise on a free editor as I use a paid one.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Jules, I'll check it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried the Freemake Converter, but it took seven minutes to convert a relatively small file of about 250mb, is that what I should expect?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I tried the Freemake Converter, but it took seven minutes to convert a relatively small file of about 250mb, is that what I should expect?

Yes and no.

Transcoding video takes a long time. It depends on your rig but for HD stuff I would expect it to transcode in basically real time. That order. It is also a lossy process.

But there is probably no need to transcode. The audio and video streams are probably fine. It's just the mov container that is the issue. They just need remuxing in to an mp4 container.
    Forum Member

I think conversion rate will depend on your hardware (and possibly what you're converting it to - at a guess).

I just converted a 180MB file which took a little under 2 minutes on a laptop with 8GB RAM and an i7 processor running W8.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Video conversion can be quite a hardware intensive action but things like GPU's with CUDA etc can help if the software can take advantage of it
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yes and no.

Transcoding video takes a long time. It depends on your rig but for HD stuff I would expect it to transcode in basically real time. That order. It is also a lossy process.

But there is probably no need to transcode. The audio and video streams are probably fine. It's just the mov container that is the issue. They just need remuxing in to an mp4 container.

Thanks for the tip - I converted a .mov file to a .mp4 file using VLC and it worked just fine and took about 2 seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip - I converted a .mov file to a .mp4 file using VLC and it worked just fine and took about 2 seconds.

I run VLC for these files. How do I do that?
    Forum Member
    I run VLC for these files. How do I do that?

Click on Media>Convert/Save
    then add the file you want to convert, say xyz.mov

then select Convert/save and enter the name and path of the destination file, say xyz.mp4 (you need to type the file extension)

then under settings and profile you'll see Video- H.264, next to that select Edit Profile icon. In the form box make sure that mp4/mov is selected under Encapsulation and under Video check Keep Original Video, do the same for the audio and click Save. That will take you back to the Convert part, click Start and that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay...I followed your instructions, but I get the following error:

The file C:\Users\Public\Videos\808 #16\mobius.mp4 cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

What do you think?

ETA:

It won't play either, in VLC or WMP.
    Forum Member
    I think you don't have the codec. ;)

Maybe try this?

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-75862970.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So.....does VLC not convert the file as you mentioned earlier?
    Forum Member
    So.....does VLC not convert the file as you mentioned earlier?

Yes it does - as I said in reply to flagpole's post - I changed a .mov file to a .mp4 file which can be played by VLC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Jules, I wasn't being ungrateful, :o I did say all this stuff just goes over my head. ;)

I just thought that I must be doing something wrong. Did you have to download the VLC Codec Pack as well, or did it work for you without it?
    Forum Member
    Sorry Jules, I wasn't being ungrateful, :o I did say all this stuff just goes over my head. ;)

I just thought that I must be doing something wrong. Did you have to download the VLC Codec Pack as well, or did it work for you without it?

No worries most of it is over my head too and if it hadn't been for the suggestion about changing containers I wouldn't have thought of it.. I don't recall downloading codecs for VLC. Do you have the latest version and did you try downloading and installing the codec pack?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    ETA:

It won't play either, in VLC or WMP.

It is very unusual for a video file not to play in VLC.

It's almost unheard of in fact. they pride themselves on it.

i would be interested in seeing the mediainfo for that file.