Acts highly rated by the judges that you think aren't all that

mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At times watching the X Factor - this weekend in particular - I'm wondering if I'm hearing the right audio track. So many acts who, at best, are marginally above average are getting standing ovations from the judges and over the top simpering praise.

To name a few

Joseph Wheelan (yes he's good looking and has a kid but vocally he's on a par with an average pub singer)

Code 4 (great dancers but their harmonies sounded like cats being strangled)

The bin lorry repair man who's a little on the chubby side (with the "I'm shy" 'sob' story).

Comments

• Tiggeraspi123Tiggeraspi123 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Yeah get what mean, personally I agree with the examples you listed but in my opinion Giles isn't ready yet and personally I don't find Melanie that good.
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acts highly rated by the judges that you think aren't all that

The Female Prison Officer. I can't remember her name:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah Berrett,Sam Callahan, Giles Potter, Kingsland, Sam Bailey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Like...most of them.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicholas McDonald.

Utterly, utterly average.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year....Deffo Hannah Barrett!
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Nicholas McDonald.

Utterly, utterly average.

This and Paul McAkister...very average and ordinary. Sound like every other singer in the charts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one who was in the Daisy Chains and then went solo, was her name Hannah? She can sing but she's nothing special IMO. Can't see her making it through judge's houses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    mark e a wrote: »
    At times watching the X Factor - this weekend in particular - I'm wondering if I'm hearing the right audio track. So many acts who, at best, are marginally above average are getting standing ovations from the judges and over the top simpering praise.

To name a few

Joseph Wheelan (yes he's good looking and has a kid but vocally he's on a par with an average pub singer)

Code 4 (great dancers but their harmonies sounded like cats being strangled)

The bin lorry repair man who's a little on the chubby side (with the "I'm shy" 'sob' story).

so many but i can't remember names! and i agreed with all of yours too
  • themightypierrethemightypierre Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the lad who sand reet petite awfully at first and then forgot his lines. Why bother with auditions.

Oh and the bloke from Birmingham 'Who loves his little man to bits'. I'm from Brum and I find him nauseating, god knows what the rest of you think.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This and Paul McAkister...very average and ordinary. Sound like every other singer in the charts.

How does Paul sound like every other singer in the charts? :confused::confused::confused:

Mine would be Sam Callahan, Sam Bailey, Amy Mottram and Joseph Whelan.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the lad who sand reet petite awfully at first and then forgot his lines. Why bother with auditions.

Oh and the bloke from Birmingham 'Who loves his little man to bits'. I'm from Brum and I find him nauseating, god knows what the rest of you think.

He's from Wolverhampton....surely as a brummie you'd realise? Lol
  • themightypierrethemightypierre Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    He's from Wolverhampton....surely as a brummie you'd realise? Lol

I'm talking to a national audience who don't tend to make those distinctions.

Having said that I didn't pick up he was from Wolverhampton. I'm too busy shouting about what a sob story tosspot he is when he's on to notice.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    The more I think about it, the more people I think of. To be honest I'd say 'A good 90% of them' is an accurate statistic here. Plenty of decent singers, but very very few are remotely as good as the judges like to make out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most contestants year in year out tbh. there's normally the same overblown clichés thrown around willy nilly. this year the main one looks set to be melanie.

going the opposite route, someone who i think is far too highly rated on a lot of forums is jade richards. i've always found her boring and adele-lite. i wouldn't have put her through to the lives any year she's appeared.
  • iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Tamera. It's like we're not supposed to notice she's crap.

Actually, very few who are actually good this year.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie is by far and away the most overated contestant still in the show.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke Friend ,Sam Callahan, Giles Potter, Lydia Lucy, Hannah (from that group - not Hannah B), Joseph Whelan, Xyra, Kingsland, Abi
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joseph is dated and not relevant, Tamera just nothing inspiring - boring generic looks, Jade horrible 'image' needs to sort herself out
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joseph whelan and the female prison officer
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah B & Relly C, are both highly overrated.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be Melanie and Joseph for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that group of pensioners

the fact they got put through undermines the whole point of the show

they wernt good singers , they werent good entertainment , they got put through because they are old ...its not the old factor

i also feel that they are taking up a space in boot camp that could be filled with a serious act , that can actually have a chance of getting through
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    Tamera and Stephanie, especially Stephanie. I thought she was very average to be honest.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only singer who stood out for me on Sunday was
    Chrissie who was referred to as being the "wedding singer".
    Her voice left the rest standing but knowing XFactor she may not even get through to JH which will be a shame compared to some that will.

I noticed on Sunday night that some of the acts weren't great but the judges couldn't praise them enough.
    Was starting to wonder if they were listening to the same songs as we were because the girl group Xyra were nothing special. There was also a young guy who forgot the words but ended up getting through because of his audition.

I think Bootcamp will be very interesting this year.