A direct debit question.

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello :)

A direct debit is due to come out of my account on the 27th August.

This is Saturday.

When will the money come out.

Please dont tell me before the 26th :(

Have a nice day :)

Comments

• scn123scn123 Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first working day after that. :)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will come out on Saturday. :)
  • andyk481andyk481 Posts: 2,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    generally (though it depends on the company) the direct debit will be taken on the first working day after the weekend. certainly this has always happened with mine, so i expect you will be fine!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Standing Order would leave on the Saturday but a Direct Debit leaves the first banking day after a non-banking day. This would mean Monday 29th.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See what do I know. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    I think it will come out on Saturday. :)

No - Weekends don't count - It will come out on the Monday - Trust me.
  • lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the DD is applied for 3 days before the payment is due so be careful they don't charge you if you're thinking of withdrawing the amount needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It actually wont leave until Tuesday 30th as Monday 29th is the August Bank Holiday everywhere except Scotland. :o
  • midsguymidsguy Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Natwest and always have this problem. My DD will always come out on the Fri/Sat prior to Bank Holiday.

I'd check with the bank but mine NEVER come out after the Bank Holiday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cifpower wrote:
    It actually wont leave until Tuesday 30th as Monday 29th is the August Bank Holiday everywhere except Scotland. :o

The banks don't work up here either. Everyone else does :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    midsguy wrote:
    I'm with Natwest and always have this problem. My DD will always come out on the Fri/Sat prior to Bank Holiday.

I'd check with the bank but mine NEVER come out after the Bank Holiday.

HSBC (the listening bank :) )take it after the holiday.
  • andyk481andyk481 Posts: 2,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does the op want to borrow some cash just in case? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyk481 wrote:
    does the op want to borrow some cash just in case? :p

Shall we have a whip round? :)
  • 20something20something Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    If i have a direct debit due to to come out on a saturday sunday or monday it will usually come out on the saturday but comes up as a transaction in course till the tuesday.Meaning it could still be reversed and if you didn't have money in your account to cover it you could still put it in on a monday morning with no charge as it hasn't properly came off your account.

Well thats what happens with my bank anyway :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL - I will go overdrawn a bit and I dont want to givve the bank anymore of my hard earned cash!!

Grr to them!! He He!!

Thanks for the info all!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thats what happens with my bank anyway :)

Natwest by any chance?
  • 20something20something Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    midsguy wrote:
    Natwest by any chance?

royal bank of scotland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    royal bank of scotland

who bought NatWest a year or two ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    royal bank of scotland

Same company - their systems must be the same
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The direct debit goes out when the collecting bank applies for it. It always seems on my account that payments that should go in when the date falls on the weekend always go in afterwards and the payments that should be going out, always go out before.
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    potatolegs wrote:
    LOL - I will go overdrawn a bit and I dont want to givve the bank anymore of my hard earned cash!!

Grr to them!! He He!!

Thanks for the info all!!

Should get an overdraft facility, most banks offer them for free, stops you worrying about going overdrawn then. I haven't had to use my overdraft facility for many many years, but it's there just in case.
  • Shelley FabaresShelley Fabares Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    royal bank of scotland

Same company - their systems must be the same

who bought NatWest a year or two ago

When I went into an RBS to withdraw money over the counter in cash from a Nat West account I was told they couldn't do it over the counter as it was two separate systems.
    I could however use a Nat West cashcard in the RBS cash machine outside the door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Should get an overdraft facility, most banks offer them for free, stops you worrying about going overdrawn then. I haven't had to use my overdraft facility for many many years, but it's there just in case.

I have got one but they charge 15% interest, and I dont want them to have ANY of my money lol!!

Im just being mega tight lately. :D
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    potatolegs wrote:
    I have got one but they charge 15% interest, and I dont want them to have ANY of my money lol!!

Im just being mega tight lately. :D

15% for a couple of days is going to be pennies, better than £20+ . 15% is a little high though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    okay i worked for natwest (before i quit a few weeks ago) and their system is the exact same as RBS. they run seperately but are exactly the same.

With regards to the d/d this is how the system works. If the direct debit is due out the day after a weekend whether it be a monday or in your case tuesday due to the bank holiday then the money will be debited from your available funds, meaning it will show as whatever money you have in your account before the d/d goes out, but you won't be able to withdraw the money. it'll be easier if i explain via example.

balance = 50
    d/d is for 30
    available funds = 20

so you can withdraw 20 from a cash machine but it will show you have 50. This system is in place to make sure you don't go overdrawn and can't pay the d/d. you still earn interest for the balance of 50 till the day the d/d shows on your a/c