No Epg download again (merged)

Comments

• IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I've got a Thomson DHD4000 and noted that I have not had an overnight update for the past couple of nights. At the moment my EPG listings only go upto Wednesday 7th July (inclusive).

Sounds like a Midlands thing.
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    At a friend's at the moment - FVRT100 with 200 software - Sutton Coldfield transmitter - EPG up to and including 7th July!

I will check my own boxes when I am home tomorrow and see what state they are in - Winter Hill transmitter. I'll try to remember to check my friend's FVRT before I leave tomorrow.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Sounds like a Midlands thing.
    No, it seems to be nationwide. Note the sports changes are not included, see http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1285097
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    At a friend's at the moment - FVRT100 with 200 software - Sutton Coldfield transmitter - EPG up to and including 7th July!

I will check my own boxes when I am home tomorrow and see what state they are in - Winter Hill transmitter. I'll try to remember to check my friend's FVRT before I leave tomorrow.

Still not updated past 7th July on the Sutton Coldfield box.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I have emailed Inview with the problem. They are usually quite good at picking up the errors and sorting them out. I will probaby give them a ring from work tomorrow as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    I have emailed Inview with the problem. They are usually quite good at picking up the errors and sorting them out. I will probaby give them a ring from work tomorrow as well.
    So that is at least two emails they will get in the morning. I sent one at 7.45.
    Forum Member
    Still not updated past 7th July on the Sutton Coldfield box.

... and now that I am home I see that the EPG on one of my Winter Hill boxes is the same. The other box I have, also on Winter Hill, only goes up to the 5th, but that box sometimes misses an update due to, I think, a signal/aerial distribution problem which I will look into, sometime.

Thanks for alerting InView, chaps, I'll do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had a very unfortunate reply from inview:
    Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we are discontinuing the service as we are no longer able to have access to the delivery method that has been available until now.

I know that this is not good news for you so I can only deeply apologise for your loss of service in advance. Your box should otherwise operate normally and have the now and next option
    I have no idea whether there is any way getting this changed.
  • slimgymslimgym Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really should have been working on getting the code to read the freeview EPG in the last however many years so it wouldn't come to this. They managed to stuff adverts into every programme description some time back, the very least they could have done would be to have sent a "message" warning of this impending doom.

There may be a sale of goods act liability against the retailer, though in my case they've gone bust :(

What to do now? I bought a Topfield and love it, but I don't think my dad would be able to cope with its odd quirks.

How does the Humax range look? They seem to have sorted their slow EPG problem with a download.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    I have had a very unfortunate reply from inview:
    Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we are discontinuing the service as we are no longer able to have access to the delivery method that has been available until now.

I know that this is not good news for you so I can only deeply apologise for your loss of service in advance. Your box should otherwise operate normally and have the now and next option
    I have no idea whether there is any way getting this changed.

:eek: Oh dear. That news probably deserves a thread of its own. If true, this is basically the end for the Digifusion.

slimgym, the adverts were added to the EPG by InView and were nothing to do with Digifusion/Beko and the box firmware.

It's understandable that there's been no updates from Digifusion, but I wonder about Thomson and Sony who use the same EPG on a couple of their boxes? Maybe they're old enough that they can just ignore them.

Sad news, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoog wrote: »
    It's understandable that there's been no updates from Digifusion, but I wonder about Thomson and Sony who use the same EPG on a couple of their boxes? Maybe they're old enough that they can just ignore them.
    Yes, it at least affects the Thomson DHD4000 (which I use), but I don't know anything about Sony, I didn't even know they used that EPG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony SVR-S500 uses it, though only 8 days (in common with other Sony boxes).

I guess the firmware for these boxes was written by the same company (4TV ?) who are no longer in business. Any support contracts Sony or Thomson would have had will have been terminated/expired a few years ago. I believe Beko own the IP (ie source code).

Only hope is likely to be a good will gesture from one of these companies to pursue the creation of a firmware upgrade. Sadly, more likely to just ignore this and presume it will go away.

EDIT: Inverto IDL-7000 boxes use the EPG too, but I think they're also out of business :(
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I have had a very unfortunate reply from inview:I have no idea whether there is any way getting this changed.

Oh dear. That doesn't sound good at all. I asked the following on this thread a while back and got no reply from Inview:
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your continued support. We've all invested money and effort into hardware which would be rendered 99% useless if we couldn't rely on your listings service.

If you're not allowed to respond to this I understand but I do have a few queries:
    • Does Inview have a contract with an organisation to maintain this service?
    • Is this organisation the Freeview consortium, a manufacturers association or some other?
    • How long do you expect we can rely on having a maintained listings service for our machines?
    • Are new machines still being manufactured which use your service?
    Any information you are able to give would be much appreciated and may save us collectively investing thyousands of pounds and hundreds of hours into customising and sstabilising what may become a redundant platform.

Thanks again.

I wonder which are the youngest boxes relying on the same service and whether their manufacturer has an obligation to extend the service to it's customers, somehow?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still reeling in shock about this news.

More than that, I'm appalled that we've discovered the discontinuance of the EPG with just 8 days to go. What does 'no access to the delivery method' mean, after all this time?

I would have hoped for at least 3 months' notice so alternative solutions could have been explored.

If the box does end up with no calendar in a week's time then I shall explore FreeSat (even FreeSat HD) with a receiver brand that won't go out of business any time soon.

Humax seem top of the list (that is, their boxes do everything the Digifusion box does with a standard 8-day calendar, plus series link), but I'm sure you guys have your own favourites?
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I have just read the email that I have received from Inview before coming to the Forum.

It really is sad news. The Fusion has been a fantastic machine over the years and I have loved every bit of it. I guess the Fusion will now move to the bedroom as it will still do what a freeview box does - just without an epg. I guess it was good whilst it lasted.

Very sad news :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm suprised Inview didn't let people know in advance, either via the press/blogs like mine or their own website. Especially as Inview created their DS user account last year and responded directly about some of the service outages last summer and in the run up to Christmas.

I had a conversation with Inview about an hour ago and apparantly the contract to playout these EPG services has come to an end. No company has stepped forward to renew, either because they no longer exist or they have chosen to not to.

About other PVRs available, there are some all new PVRs that are coming out in the second half of this year with the new DVB-T2 tuners capable of receiving the HD channels on Freeview. There are some HD PVRs already out now - ranging from unfit for sale to 'a few bugs here and there'. Perhaps its because each of them wanted to be announced as the first freeviewhd PVR on the market and available in time for the World Cup and in other words rushed. Here is a list of what is available with a comparison http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/resources/compare-freeviewhd-pvrs/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess the Fusion will now move to the bedroom as it will still do what a freeview box does - just without an epg.
    Which basically means the same as any £20 box from Argos, unless you are willing to muck about programming by hand, like with the old VCRs.
    Very sad news :(
    Very, very sad.

I think we deserve a better explanation about what has gone wrong, but I am not holding my breath. (Edit, Marc replied while I was typing with a bit of an explanation)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which basically means the same as any £20 box from Argos, unless you are willing to muck about programming by hand, like with the old VCRs.
    I'm hoping that the Digifusion will at least record the correct program title, even if it was scheduled by hand some days previously...
    Forum Member
    I have just read the email that I have received from Inview before coming to the Forum.

Yup - I got the same email. I wonder, do they still sell the Radio Times, it was 6d but I expect it has gone up over the years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup - I got the same email. I wonder, do they still sell the Radio Times, it was 6d but I expect it has gone up over the years?
    Yes, inflation has probably sent it over the 1/- mark by now.

Edit: Just in case anyone doesn't 'geddit' 1/- was old fogey speak for 1 shilling in the olde days!

Edit 2: Just in case... a shilling was quite a bit of money in them days. I earnt about 2 shillings for my paper round in days of yore...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RalphB wrote: »
    Yes, inflation has probably sent it over the 1/- mark by now.
    Yes, more like a Guinea now! :)
    Forum Member
    RalphB wrote: »
    Just in case... a shilling was quite a bit of money in them days. I earnt about 2 shillings for my paper round in days of yore...

I remember selling petrol at 6/8 per gallon - exactly three gallons for £1 !

(that was Esso Plus)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember selling petrol at 6/8 per gallon - exactly three gallons for £1 !

(that was Esso Plus)
    I remember buying it at 5 bob! (Oops, my age is showing!!)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the email for Inview please?

I am stunned and I'm on holiday next week, so there is no time to get a new box before then.

I note #242. Does anyone have any recommendations? One of my criteria is having the facility to see what is on one one channel from (say) 6-12pm . I really don't like those awful grids that other pvrs etc have. (The ones with 'Guess the Programme Title' from 6 Characters).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    OMG so what are our options now ?

reading the forums there are NO reliable pvr's out there and 145 has given 4 years of sterling service with only a couple of hic ups along the way........

Even worse my mrs has only just got it worked out how to use the box and now i'm going to have to buy a new one :eek:

ok guys what are the best alternatives to digifusion ?

bearing in mind that vestel boxes are struggling on the winter hill transmitter