Homemade Hamburgers

BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
Forum Member
✭✭
How do I make the perfect hamburger? Any recipe ideas?

Comments

• indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask your butcher for some mince with about 20% fat.Alternatively buy supermarket mince.
    Not the ultra lean stuff (NO FAT NO FLAVOUR) or your burgers will be dry.
    Shape gently into a patty shape.If you want some extra flavour you can finely chop some onion and fry in a little olive oil or butter.Make sure you let the onion cool before adding to the burger mix.
    Heat a ridged griddle pan until very hot.Rub a little olive oil on each side of your burger and sprinkle both sides with some sea salt and black pepper.Place in the pan and leave it for about 3 or 4 minutes.DON’T prod and press while it’s cooking! I know it’s tempting but you will only lose valuable juices.Turn over and do the other side,only flip your burgers once.You will find a good extractor fan comes in handy but if you haven’t got one make sure you open a window.If there is a lot of smoke turn the heat down a bit.The initial high heat is just so you can get a nice crust.
    Right,take your burgers out when done as you like them,put on a warm plate and let them rest for 5 minutes.While they are resting place 2 bun halves,cut side down in the hot griddle pan until slightly charred at the edges.I like my burgers medium,don’t think pink in the middle= you’re gonna die! Remember it’s just like a steak (only more tender).You can obviously top your burgers with anything you like. I make up a simple relish with equal parts Light Mayo, Ketchup and Dijon Mustard. I like it spicy so add a pinch of Chilli flakes to it as well.I then spread some on both cut sides of the bun,put the burger on and top it with a thick slice of beef tomato.As I’ve said before,once you make these(and it couldn’t be easier) you’ll wonder why you ever bothered with Maccy D or Burger King. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mince Beef, grated onion and seasoning (s&)

Mix together well, and shape into burgers, I have a burger press which makes them perfectly!

Then place in the fridge for a while and they are ready to grill
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AArgggh damn it.. I only have lean steak mince. I nearly picked up regular mince until I saw how many more calories it had in it per 100g LOL

Anyway will have to try the regular mince next time, thanks for your recipe tips folks.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can vouch for the lean mince being crap for burgers! I tried to be clever once and used it in a burger recipe. The taste and texture was weird and unpleasant.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any time I make these they all crumble and fall apart?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put some mince in a large bowl, add grated onion, salt and pepper, a pinch of mixed herbs and a good dollop of tomato ketchup then throw in an egg to keep it from falling apart during cooking. Mix thoroughly with your fingers or a fork then shape in to pattys and fry or BBQ. Viola!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard this egg binding it together, but dont like it so i dont use it. But i've never had the burger falling apart anyway, so i dont know what i do differently.
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    My recipe for spicy burgers:

450g minced beef
    1 crushed garlic cloves
    1 tsp tomato ketchup
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 red chilli, finely chopped
    1 small onion, finely diced
    basil leaves, chopped

Method:
    1. Mix together the mince, garlic, tomato ketchup, cayenne, egg, oil, chilli and onion.
    2. Use your hands to mix until well blended.
    3. Add the basil to the mixture and divide into four patties.
    4. Chill for a couple of hours in the fridge.
    5. Grill for about 5-6 minutes each side.
    6. Serve with burger buns, mayo, cheese and salad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else cook homemade burgers in the oven rather than grill/fry them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    THe way I stop my burgers falling apart is to put them in the fridge for at least a half an hour or into the freezer for 10mins if you're stuck for time. This helps keep them together and you cook them straight from the fridge.

My basic recipe is minced lamb (its got bit more fat and flavour), S & P, pinch of mixed herbs, splash of tomato sauce, splash of HP sauce (or similar brown sauce, Chef Sauce is lovely if you can get it) or a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Sometimes I'll add a tbsp or two of very finely chopped onion. Its very delish. They freeze well too.
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    I ONLY use lean mince, I cant stand the fatty taste of full fat mince BLUERGH.
    mix salt, pepper, onion and 1 egg into a bowl with the beef mince

Shape into Patties on a Floured chopping board.

Place into fridge for around 30 mins before cooking.

We done these last week, well my 10 year old did, and Hubby said they were the best he'd ever tasted (homemade), he never comments on cooking ever;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Take the best quality mince you can buy, add a twist of black pepper, and shape into patties. Rub some oil on them and chuck in a hot pan. Simple. :D

A splash of worcestershire sauce or a dash of smoked paprika make a nice addition if you want more than just a plain burger...
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the cheap mince at Morrison’s or my local butchers. It's fatty but fat is flavour and it renders out during frying.

A little bit of finely chopped onion, salt & pepper is all that's needed. You gotta be firm with it, mix and squeeze tightly.

What I then do is form a patty slightly larger than the final size burger I want cause the thing will shrink some during cooking.
    The easiest way to stop it falling apart during cooking is to really compress it when forming the burger and use the spatula to press it down in the frying pan, absolutely no need to bind it with eggs.
    As for pink burgers, Personally I wouldn't unless I'd minced the beef myself. It's a lot of surface area exposed to bacteria sitting around and I just woulnd't take the risk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is lush, and I usually substitute the pork for beef.

500g/1lb 2oz minced pork
    ½ onion, grated
    ½ tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted, crushed
    40g/1½oz fresh white breadcrumbs
    1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    To serve
    hamburger buns
    rocket leaves
    roasted red pepper
    1 red onion, thinly sliced

Method
    1. Put the pork, onion, fennel, breadcrumbs, egg and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and then use your hands to mix everything together thoroughly.
    2. Shape the mixture into four patties with your hands, then cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
    3. Heat a frying pan or grill pan over a high heat. Add the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until they are browned and cooked through.
    4. To serve, place the patties in hamburger buns and top with rocket leaves, roasted pepper and a few slices of red onion.

© Bill Granger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    i use a metal ring ( for fried eggs ) to shape them , really squash the mix in and mine have never fallen apart :)