Who is going to be the next Mayor of London?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
Forum Member
I had an interesting discussion with someone yesterday evening about what would happen if Boris were no longer the Mayor of the capital.

Boris might try for a third term as Mayor in 2016 but then again, he might not. If he doesn't, who would you like to see as Conservative candidate for Mayor of London if Boris were not standing?

Who do you think would make a good Labour candidate for the London Mayoralty? Someone (not a Labour supporter) suggested to me that Alan Johnson MP (born in London) could be a good choice as Labour candidate in the next London Mayoral Election.

If you have any ideas on who the different political parties might consider picking as London Mayoral candidates (if their candidates who stood last week do not seek re-election) perhaps you could post your views on this (if you have any) here?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    David Milliband's a Londoner isn't he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    David Milliband's a Londoner isn't he?

Yes - but wouldn't being London Mayor preclude him as a candidate for the Labour Party leadership? I am not suggesting that he will stand again for that post, but some in the press are not ruling out the possibility.

I would add (just for anyone who does not know) that one does not have to be born in London to be a candidate for the London Mayoralty. Boris (Johnson) was born in New York according to the Wikipedia page about him.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    My money is on Nadine Dorris - she won't have a seat in parliament post 2015 so she will have plenty of time to run for Mayor.:D;)
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Blair, John Prescott, Jeremy Hunt, Sir Ian Blair or Sir Alan Sugar?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    My money is on Nadine Dorris - she won't have a seat in parliament post 2015 so she will have plenty of time to run for Mayor.:D;)

Good thinking.:D
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Tony Blair, John Prescott, Jeremy Hunt, Sir Ian Blair or Sir Alan Sugar?

Alan Sugar has already ruled himself out.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Dizzee Rascal should run for it.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    It is my prediction Gog and Magog will return for a joint mayoralty.

They can knock a few heads together! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Bercow or his Wife Sally?:D
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    The turnout for the London Mayoral election was quite low - 38%. Based on that stat, I think the next Mayor of London should be

"Nobody cares!"

He's a great candidate is Nobody Cares. He's a bit anonymous but I'm sure he can work on raising his profile. ;)
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As our politics seems to be veering the American way.
    ie: celebrity over politcal party, I believe that someone who is popular in the public eye would stand a good chance. Obviously who will be popular in 4 years is impossible to guess.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    As our politics seems to be veering the American way.
    ie: celebrity over politcal party, I believe that someone who is popular in the public eye would stand a good chance. Obviously who will be popular in 4 years is impossible to guess.

Katie Price...
  • DM AndyDM Andy Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Boris didn't go for it in 2016, possibly Justine Greening for the Tories? David Lammy for Labour and Caroline Pidgeon for Lib Dems
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM Andy wrote: »
    If Boris didn't go for it in 2016, possibly Justine Greening for the Tories? David Lammy for Labour and Caroline Pidgeon for Lib Dems

I did hear it suggested that, had David Lammy been the Labour candidate, he could have won. Justine defeated a Labour MP in Putney even before the Tories regained office, giving Putney its first opposition MP for many years. As she is clearly quite a formidable campaigner she could become the Tory candidate at least.

Sarah Teather could be the LibDem candidate. She is also a formidable campaigner to have wom ex-safe Brent East in the 2003 by-election and then achieved an 11% swing in Brent Central. I think she knows how to communicate to a diversity of voters. Besides, she may need a new job after 2015!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the Murdoch's - cut out the middleman :D
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Danny Dyer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did hear it suggested that, had David Lammy been the Labour candidate, he could have won. Justine defeated a Labour MP in Putney even before the Tories regained office, giving Putney its first opposition MP for many years. As she is clearly quite a formidable campaigner she could become the Tory candidate at least.

Sarah Teather could be the LibDem candidate. She is also a formidable campaigner to have wom ex-safe Brent East in the 2003 by-election and then achieved an 11% swing in Brent Central. I think she knows how to communicate to a diversity of voters. Besides, she may need a new job after 2015!
    I didn't think about Sarah Teather, but it's a good idea. One thing about Justine Greening that would go against her standing is I thought her seat was getting cut up under the boundary changes but it's Jane Ellison that loses her seat (Battersea and Vauxhall looks tough to win) and the new Putney is a safer Tory seat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see Boris even having a chance at Number 10. Cameron maybe out by then if he doesn't turn his party around. It's a challenge we will have to wait. Now Boris needs to convince Londoners a lot especially the aftermath of the Olympics and the selling of the site.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Vince Cable standing for Lib Dems if they are out of power after the next election. Vince is a London MP and would have the experience of being Business Secretary.

Wonder if Jo Johnson MP (brother of Boris) might stand for the tories

David Lammy for Labour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Vince Cable standing for Lib Dems if they are out of power after the next election. Vince is a London MP and would have the experience of being Business Secretary.

Wonder if Jo Johnson MP (brother of Boris) might stand for the tories

David Lammy for Labour
    Vince would also be days away from his 73rd birthday come the next mayoral election, easier to imagine him in the unreformed House of Lords than City Hall.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    The turnout for the London Mayoral election was quite low - 38%. Based on that stat, I think the next Mayor of London should be
    "Nobody cares!"
    It was a very ugly affair compared to one's past.

Quite easy to guess why most voted with distaste to 'having their own Boris'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Alan Sugar has already ruled himself out.

Good not sure his style would get him very far.

How about this guy Brian Paddick he is available and is only awaiting enough votes.:D:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an outside bet, Seb Coe.

If the Olympics go well and if by 2016 there is a feeling of a positive legacy then he'll have a hell of a CV.

Justine Greening is an interesting suggestion but I think she'll have her eye on higher government office. Transport Sec is a transient job for those on their way up or down - and she's certainly on the way up. I can see her being Britain's first female Chancellor.

For Labour, I'd like to see David Lammy put his name forward. He got a lot of credit from all sides about how he handled the riots last year - calling for calm rather than antagonising the situation and blaming other people. Unlike Ken, he doesn't seem to have any political enemies.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    George Galloway

Would be a lively campaign
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    George Galloway

Would be a lively campaign

Never say no.