New Star Wars film story

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So what will the story be in Star Wars 7? I have heard that the Empire is taken over byTesco ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be a tragic story of Mickey Mouse raping Luke Skywalker - and my childhood - for 90 minutes.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    It is revealed that Darth Vader also built the Millennium Falcon
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    satman17 wrote: »
    So what will the story be in Star Wars 7? I have heard that the Empire is taken over byTesco ?

Actually, you're not far off.

A lot of the Elstree studios (where IV->VI were made) was sold off and is now a Tesco superstore.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I've no idea where they should go with it really, there's so many possible directions. But they should definitely avoid rewriting or ignoring the expanded universe. I'm not that into the post-Jedi stuff myself, but an awful lot of fans would be mighty pissed off if the expanded universe was no longer canon.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I've no idea where they should go with it really, there's so many possible directions. But they should definitely avoid rewriting or ignoring the expanded universe. I'm not that into the post-Jedi stuff myself, but an awful lot of fans would be mighty pissed off if the expanded universe was no longer canon.

I'm a big fan of the books but they are not and never have been canon.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    dadioflex wrote: »

The official stance is that they're all "blessed" by Lucas, and as long as they don't contradict anything else they're basically as canon as they can be.
  • terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe we need some insight into darth vader's grandad -- see how it all really started

or maybe a bit on yoda's dad, see how yoda started off

bore
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people who remember episodes 4, 5 and 6 want to see the connection like where does Han Solo and chewy go maybe they have a gay thing going on and Disney princess Leah does the turkey Baster bit
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    I think people who remember episodes 4, 5 and 6 want to see the connection like where does Han Solo and chewy go maybe they have a gay thing going on and Disney princess Leah does the turkey Baster bit

I hope Chewie's in it
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The years Han spent in college learning to understand - but not speak - wookie, while a teenage Chewbacca sits in his treehouse listening to his Linguaphone english course, but having no lips is cursed with the inability to vocalise any of it.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Episode VII should be an intergalactic blaxploitation homage with Billy Dee Williams as principal cast member.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »
    The official stance is that they're all "blessed" by Lucas, and as long as they don't contradict anything else they're basically as canon as they can be.

This is going to be Disney's big quandry. Lucas has put so much effort into making sure that the expanded universe, especially the post Jedi literature, is consistent and does nothing to contradict the nascent plot for Eps 7-9. However the expanded universe has grown to such an extent that it gives Disney very little room to manouver in terms of the next 3 films. They will essentially have to be what Lucas has envisaged, something which fills me with dredd. The alternative is they ignore everything that's been written and start a fresh. That will alienate a lot of SW fans who have grown as familiar with the literary characters in the post Jedi SW universe as they are with Luke, Han & Leia. Sure some of them will be kept but their roles could be totally different.

IMO Disney's best bet is to jump forward 30 years from Jedi and do their best to move things along in a new direction without negating what has already been written. TBH apart form Timothy Zahn's books and a few of Kevin J Anderson's earlier stuff I've not really kept up with how far into the 'future' after Jedi things have got...
    ... although I am aware that Chewbacca dies at some point...

so for all I know there are books dealing with the SW universe 100 years after Jedi!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tokenting wrote: »
    maybe we need some insight into darth vader's grandad -- see how it all really started

That story was told in the book Darth Plagueis (which was confirmed as canon)
    Plagueis and his young apprentice Palpatine manipulated the Force to create Anakin.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member

I think they should ignore it completely, to be honest. If I were a script writer I wouldn't want my hands tied or my creative input restricted because of some spin-off novels. As annoyed as certain fans would surely be, I suspect that the percentage of the total target audience (e.g. just about everything with a pulse and a wallet) that actually pays much attention to the Star Wars Expanded Universe is really pretty small, so Disney is unlikely to take their feelings into account. I don't personally like anything about the Zahn trilogy, the Dark Empire series or the New Jedi Order series, so I'll be quite glad when it's all dismissed as non-canonical.
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    That story was told in the book Darth Plagueis (which was confirmed as canon)

Not the same level of canon as the film trilogies, surely? Eww. Making up backstories for characters who didn't originally have any is always a bad idea in my opinion, and what they did with Palpatine sounds particularly cheesy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the same level of canon as the film trilogies, surely? Eww. Making up backstories for characters who didn't originally have any is always a bad idea in my opinion, and what they did with Palpatine sounds particularly cheesy.

It's the one book that has been confirmed as canon. You're entilted to your opinion of course, the book itself has been received extremely well by those who have read it.

Making backstories may sound like a bad idea to you, it's not something that is going to appeal to everyone, but the EU has made Lucasfilm millions of dollars over the years. Not only has it been great business but it has kept the franchise alive and well, generally to the fans satisfaction.
    Forum Member
    It's the one book that has been confirmed as canon. You're entilted to your opinion of course, the book itself has been received extremely well by those who have read it.

Has it really. Well, I don't personally care for the implied message from film-makers that if I want to know more about the storylines of their films, I need to shell out extra money for a book on top of what I've already paid for the cinema tickets or DVDs. If a character's origins aren't explained in the story of the film itself, as far as I'm concerned they aren't explained at all.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Cracked.com took a dim view of the idea of "Star Wars" sequels:
    If only they'd made sequels instead, dammit! But here's the thing: they did. The story was continued in novels and comics and video games. Oh, and they were so terrible they actually do more damage to the source material than Jar Jar Binks could have ever hoped to.

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/#ixzz2AyTRMeeS

They make some good points- it's not like the loss of the
    Death Star, Vader and Palpatine would cause the Empire
    to disappear.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I suppose on a meta level there's a lot of opportunity here.

Being post-Jedi, everything that happened is history to the (presumably) new characters in the same way SW (esp. the orig. trilogy) is film history to the audience.

But old evil has a way of returning....*vadersmiley*
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I think a Wrong Turn/Cabin Fever/Hills Have Eyes style would make for an entertaining first film.

Teenage jedi students, at spring break, rent a cabin on a remote corner of Tattooine and get terrorized by the inbred cannibalistic offpsring of Luke and Leia

I'll get me coat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it really. Well, I don't personally care for the implied message from film-makers that if I want to know more about the storylines of their films, I need to shell out extra money for a book on top of what I've already paid for the cinema tickets or DVDs. If a character's origins aren't explained in the story of the film itself, as far as I'm concerned they aren't explained at all.

Well that's one way of looking at it. It's neither a right way or a wrong way. As technology moves on I don't see why a franchise should be limited to one mediun. Given the choice I would still prefer the EU to be out there. That way it can be embraced or ignored at one's own discrection. But importantly, the choice is there.
    Forum Member
    Well that's one way of looking at it. It's neither a right way or a wrong way. As technology moves on I don't see why a franchise should be limited to one mediun. Given the choice I would still prefer the EU to be out there. That way it can be embraced or ignored at one's own discrection. But importantly, the choice is there.

That has always been an option up until now, as I'm not sure if many people ever seriously believed that episodes VII-IX would get made. Now Disney have to decide whether to embrace or ignore it, and if George Lucas is involved as a creative consultant and still has the same views about the EU as before, I suspect it's going to be ignored:
    "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one."

Articles like this one also incline me to suspect that the EU is destined to be over-written: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a434680/star-wars-sequel-not-based-on-timothy-zahn-novels.html
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they continue where Return of the Jedi left off i will be happy. I don't want them going too far into the future, that will really do my head in.

There is a Star Wars game called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, that for me would be the perfect follow on story.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    As long as they continue where Return of the Jedi left off i will be happy. I don't want them going too far into the future, that will really do my head in.
    There is a Star Wars game called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, that for me would be the perfect follow on story.
    Do you really want to see a story that has already been told?
    Surely something new would be a lot better?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the big themes in SW is the relationship between the son and the father , and the 'good father' and 'bad father' aspect (Vader and Ben) , Lucas indicated in an old interview that the 'good/bad mother' issue was yet to come .

So I wouldn't mind if the main character was a girl this time , after all Luke was a girl for a while in the early scripts .

the whole galactic war thing is just a backdrop , SW should have this family / battle between children and parents theme , that gives it the mythological clout .