Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• Phoenix86Phoenix86 Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I'm in. :)

Hopefully, posting on this thread will motivate me to stick to my regime as nothing else seems to! I started being 'good' on New Year's Day and weighed myself at the gym today: 10st 4Ib. Not good considering my (lack of) height.

I'm not really following a diet as such; just cutting down on junk food and actually exercising. That has worked before but I went back to my old ways so the aim is to maintain it this time.

My goal is to reach 8st. I used to weigh that much so it'll be nice to go back to it.

Good luck to everyone else!
  • BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in for the third year running. Christmas 2011 was 9 and a half stone. I managed to put half a stone on last year and am now just under 10 stone. My aim for this year is to lose a stone. Not in a great hurry but would like to be 9 stone ish by December this year.

Starting on Monday 7th and first weigh in of the year will be Saturday 12th!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    how is everybody finding the first few days ?
  • Stella100Stella100 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I weighed in for the first time on Wednesday as it was my first day back at work:

11 stone 4

Aim 9 to 9 st 4 so 2 stone to go.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to gain about 7 pounds over the last few weeks, even though I didn't go mad over xmas. So I aim to lose that and another 9 pounds which will bring me down to 10 stones.
    Fitness wise I will carry on with cycling and lots of walking until I can resume swimming in May (yippee!). I will also carry on working out with my dumbells and things like pushups and squats, just so that I look toned. No bingo wings here!
    Best of luck everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Back to the gym tomorrow and Saturday... dreading the weigh in more than the actual work at the gym but got holidays sorted out in work for Christmas 2013 (:eek:yes Im aware that its a bit soon to be thinking about it!!!) But heading to Florida for 3 week so thats some extra motivation to get this weight off. Having a look online for a plan to follow to monitor my eating... was using my fitness pal so was debating between that again or using WW or Slimming World without the meetings as I cant afford them and the gym membership.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ladyjo123A wrote: »

Will admit, it's never easy for me the first few days of a new healthy eating attempt... I just tend to crave all of the unhealthy junk that I am used to.

Have been nibbling at a small bar of dairy milk chocolate all week so that seems to be tiding me over, but I have a short day at work tomorrow and tend to excessively snack when i'm waiting for my shift. I am intending to start some new hobbies to try and fill in the time and keep me distracted... I've bought myself a latch hook kit and some knitting stuff as well.

When it comes down to it a lot of my eating happens when i'm bored, or miserable.... so I just need to be happy and occupied and I should hopefully lose weight!!
    Forum Member
    starting gym next week on the plus side can watch tv while working out so dont mind . for me the hardest part will be the healthy eatting which I am really going to struggle with .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First day for me went really well,did my walk to work in about an hour,had no naughty snacks ,but I always find the first day easy because I am full of determination,tomorrow will be a challenge because its chippy night in work,and once I fall off the wagon i fall spectacularly,so im determined I wont have anything I shouldnt,hope everyone is doing ok.
    Forum Member
    First day for me went really well,did my walk to work in about an hour,had no naughty snacks ,but I always find the first day easy because I am full of determination,tomorrow will be a challenge because its chippy night in work,and once I fall off the wagon i fall spectacularly,so im determined I wont have anything I shouldnt,hope everyone is doing ok.

chippy night yum good luck hun think you may need it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I join you please?
    I feel so out of shape at the moment!
    I'm going to ease myself into it gently to begin with - I'm planning on cutting out alcohol completely throughout January (so far so good!), a brisk 1 - 3 mile walk every evening, and keeping away from the sweets and chocolates still hanging around after Christmas.
    This thread might shame me into keeping those resolutions!
    Forum Member
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Can I join you please?
    I feel so out of shape at the moment!
    I'm going to ease myself into it gently to begin with - I'm planning on cutting out alcohol completely throughout January (so far so good!), a brisk 1 - 3 mile walk every evening, and keeping away from the sweets and chocolates still hanging around after Christmas.
    This thread might shame me into keeping those resolutions!
    welcome and good luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welcome and good luck

Thank you:)
  • ArcticJayHArcticJayH Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to all trying to accomplish their goals! :)

No pain no gain.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to lose around 1 stone :)
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I'm in!

I'm not starting until Monday as still wading through the holiday indulgences and am off work so I'm here to eat them!

:D

Oooh you sound just like me! :D I know it's pointless to start until I return to work next week, especially with the weekend coming up! I need to finish off my gorgeous bottle of Bailey I've been having in my Cappuccinos. :o

I'll do a big shop for low-carb, high-protein stuff (the one which works best for me) and up the exercise. I'd like to lose 2 stone by summer but need a lot of self-motivating!
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome along to all the new joiners to this thread and the very best of luck in reaching your goals.

Reading through the various posts it's great to see all the various approaches to their diets. High protein, low carbs, low fats.

Unfortunately statistics are against most of us as most people fall by the wayside or fall off the wagon as the pull of all the junk food they've been filling themselves with for years is too strong, or other pressures come into play.
    All I hope is that with regular posts and updates from everyone here that we keeping everyone determined to shed those pounds/stones to lose the weight and get on their way to a healthier lifestyle.

I'm a great believer that our bodies can heal themselves if given the right food to do it with, which is why I've been running on a 90% plant based diet since early December and 100% since Jan 1st.
    My goal is to obviously lose wight, but I'm also on a mission to prevent the various health problems that are associated with obesity, the main one being Diabetes.
    My other goal is to eliminate all processed foods from my diet, as it's these items that have high amounts of fat, sugar and salt in them which are consumed by us on a huge scale, which for most of us is where our weight problem is as we, as a nation consume far too many ready meals and other processed and convenience foods. I myself was guilty of this too!

My initial 60 day juice diet was hard, as I came from consuming too much junk food, which took hours to digest, made me feel lethargic all the time to consuming nothing but fruit and vegetable juices which are digested easily by the body and gave me unimaginable amounts of energy and made me feel on top of the world. This also led to cutting out caffeine, so the gallons of tea and coffee stopped also, but boy was that hard? I had to endure 3 days of chronic headaches and feeling real down in the dumps during my caffeine withdrawal and after that the fog lifted and I was on the other side fully detoxed from caffeine.
    Since then I've not touched tea/coffee or anything with caffeine in. So in the morning where I used to drink a pint of filter coffee full of sugar to wake me up and get me going, I now make a juice of 100g spinach, 1 cucumber, 3 sticks of celery and 2 small apples. This gives me the same energy boost the coffee used to, but instead of flagging after a couple of hours my high energy continues on throughout the day.
    To be honest though due to my plant based diet, I don't find it hard anymore to wake up in the morning, as I'm not stuffing myself full of carbs before going to bed the night before as part of my meal:)

Oops just seen the time and I've rambled on so much here I'm late for work lol
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day 1 (week 1)

Start Weight 10st 11oz / 151lbs

Goal weight: 8st / 112lbs
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I got the scales yesterday!

Last time when I lost the weight I weighed myself every Monday morning. But I find Sunbday is a bad day and a day when I'm more likely to eat too much rubbish, so this time Friday morning is going to be my weighing day.

I became deaf and still am but am having a cochlear implant which will give me my hearing back and I can get back working and get my life back, so I have something to aim for.

I'm aiming to eat healthier and walk 10,000 steps most days. I have a pedometer from Amazon.

Day 1. Week 1.

12 stone 8ibs

Goal - 10 stone 8ibs

So I hope to lose 2 stone in 4 months. - or more lol.

Good luck everyone! :D
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I would like to lose 9kg. Starting weight 89kg. Let's see if I can do anything about it.

Unfortunately there was a lot to eat over Christmas, both edible presents and big meals. So, I'm currently satisfied that I didn't gain any weight over the Christmas break. But I didn't lose any and now I need the weight to start edging down.
  • PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All

Another one for the weight loss program :)

I'm trying to lose a couple of stone and get my BMI down. I was quite shocked when I weighed myself and found I was 15 stone just prior to new year.

So far, I've exercised every day for a week and tried to limit calorie intake to 2000 a day. I've lost 4lbs so quite pleased.

Current weight = 14st10 (-4lbs)

Good luck to everyone :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member

It's going ok so far but I only started on the 2nd as I spent New Years Day recovering from a hangover. I've stuck to 3 meals a day and only had an apple as a snack plus I've been drinking about 800ml water a day. Did 20 mins exercise using a DVD yesterday & aim to do more today.

Big test will be the weekend though as going out for a meal and cocktails tomorrow with friends for our delayed Christmas meet up.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased a backpack today, and will start going for long walks up and across the mountain when it gets delivered.

Really feeling positive about doing this. :D
  • Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Have you tried Zumba

Yes I do it at my gym. Love it. I throughly enjoy shaking my booty. I'm joining a choir at the end of the month and unfortunately rehearsals are at the same time as Zumba. I need to find another class.

I weighed in this morning at 91.4kgs. Not good as it gives me a BMI of 31.6. My aim is to get down to 68kgs over however long it takes me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Good luck to everyone, and it sounds as if there are lots of good plans, and plenty of motivation out there.

But ... there is one thing I have never understood about starting dieting/weight loss in January. Surely it is the worst time of year for it? It's dark, cold and boring, often wet, sometimes freezing, at least in this hemishpere. And, most importantly, there's loads of Christmas food still hanging around. It seems wrong, and rude, not to eat the food that people have prepared for or given you. I have a cupboard full of chocolates and half a Christmas cake. I expect these to be around till February (though I may be deluding myself).

If you rush to eat all the Christmas food before 1 Jan, surely that's self-defeating.

It's almost as if the whole start your diet on 1 Jan stich was just setting people up to fail (a commerical conspiracy to sell weight loss products/programmes :confused:). Surely spring would be a better time - with light evenings and warmer weather and the prospect of holidays not too far away - or September, which sort-of feels like the start of the year.

Having said that I once took up running at Christmas and continued it through to the spring - thinking I had the bug - then just stopped. So I'm not immune to the urge/cycle. And the Christmas break is a good time as it is the only real 'downtime' in the year. When I started running (before NY) it was the main event/achievement of my day for a few days till work started up again, and that was how I managed to get going.

So gone from cynical to sort of getting it in the course of writing my post! But I am curious to know whether others think that another time of year might make more sense. I am not trying to divert anyone from all the positive stuff they are doing, which I am much impressed by.