Saturday Night TV worth watching.... recommendations?

PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any recommendations for a Splash! free evening. Looking for some live TV to watch.

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    I recommend Borgen on BBC4 or Romanzo Criminale on Sky Arts both at 9pm, but depends on whether you don't mind reading subtitles :) There's nothing else I'd watch tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come round mine and we can play tiddlewinks instead, there isn't anything on I want to watch tonight.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Get a DVD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come round mine and we can play tiddlewinks instead, there isn't anything on I want to watch tonight.

Could we make that Scrabble please :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fried egg butty and re-runs of Buffy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    Could we make that Scrabble please :)

I'm pap at it and my family always complain I take too long when its my go but sure I'm game.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends like these-8pm challenge
    I said no- film 9pm E4
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QVC or Ideal World?
  • chimp123chimp123 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I would recommend Britain's Brightest hosted by Claire Balding.

BBC 1 6.45 - 8.00 pm tonight
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am watching winter watch 1963 the big freeze , it's quite interesting tbh
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

Me too. I was 9 years old that winter and had not idea the impact it had had.:o My memories are just of slides in the playground and snowball fights.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Me too. I was 9 years old that winter and had not idea the impact it had had.:o My memories are just of slides in the playground and snowball fights.

I think they coped better back then we do today with the few flakes we get lol
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    There's a number of good movies on this evening. Obviously Saving Private Ryan on Channel 4 at 10pm would be a very solid choice. Meanwhile Doubt on BBC2 at the same time comes very highly rated. I haven't seen it myself yet though. Also look at Con Air (9.45pm, BBC3), Gladiator (11.15pm, ITV2) and The Expendables (9pm, 5USA) depending on what you fancy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Muggsy wrote: »

We are watching it, I was 11. My school was never closed :mad: I used to walk to school on the river Lee
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a Splash! free evening. Looking for some live TV to watch.

The Simpsons Movie is on Channel 4 at 7.15pm.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Hammonds Secret Service
    Splash!
    Take Me Out
    Celebrity Big Brother

It's all there, a televisual feast! Join me on the moon in my moon-shed where we shall eat fish heads and chipped monkey brains!

(I'm crazy, this is what a crazy person would watch. I'm watching Shakespeare in the original Latin with Spanish sub-titles)
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame Saturday Night TV is in the state it is. Whatever happened to brilliant family viewing like You Bet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash.

Just kidding hehehehehe. Any of my box sets, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Grand Hotel, or whatever I can find to watch on YouTube. I make my own Saturday night tv if I'm in, there's nothing but chewing gum for the brain on otherwise.

I might watch Utopia. Got that on the Sky box waiting to be watched.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Netflix do a free trial if you haven't used them before. Worth checking out as the TV catalogue in particular is superb:

www.netflix.co.uk

You're welcome. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Don't forget Netflix do a free trial if you haven't used them before. Worth checking out as the TV catalogue in particular is superb:

www.netflix.co.uk

You're welcome. ;)

What about YouTube. That's free and there are whole episodes of TV shows on there. For example, recommended for me because I watched the video for Whispering Grass is the New Year's Eve 1974 edition of Wheeltappers And Shunters Social Club and a search on sitcoms throws up a whole episode of Mind Your Language.

Other (better) programmes are also available.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    What about YouTube. That's free and there are whole episodes of TV shows on there. For example, recommended for me because I watched the video for Whispering Grass is the New Year's Eve 1974 edition of Wheeltappers And Shunters Social Club and a search on sitcoms throws up a whole episode of Mind Your Language.

Other (better) programmes are also available.

Youtube also has some lovely audio books to listen to.

I was listening to Roald Dahl's "The Witches" last night. Such a wonderful book and wasted on children.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Celebrity Big Brother
    - 2 films online, I plan to watch Fight Club and The Aristocats.

Massive differences!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youtube also has some lovely audio books to listen to.

I was listening to Roald Dahl's "The Witches" last night. Such a wonderful book and wasted on children.

Just had a check on YouTube (just to see) and discovered it also has some complete episodes of Radio 4's topical comedy series Week Ending (so presumably other radio comedies are there as well. Who needs television with YouTube around?)

I used to love Week Ending in the 1980s as a teenager listening to it in bed on Friday nights. The standard of comedy was exceptional. But at some point it lost something. Still funny, but no longer the highlight of my entertanment week. I remember there was little fuss when Radio 4 cancelled it.

I imagine as it was topical there will be few editions in the BBC archive, if any. These episodes may have been posted by someone who had their own personal copies. There all from the 90s, probably after the standard fell.

Archive radio - another fine alternative to tonight's weedy TV line-up. (Classic radio also available on the BBC iPlayer - as broadcast on Radio 4 extra)
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SNOOKER! Watch the snooker.

Ken
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching episodes 7 and 8 of the first Series of Borgen (from box set, of course), to be followed by Match of the Day.