Options

Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing on the Edge

Comments

• Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a naughty bit a while ago, I was quite shocked as it is the first time I have watched this programme.:o
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I'm dreading the last episode because it will end! I've loved every moment of it.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I cant wait either, it has been fantastic and I also hope all the loose ends will be tied up at the end.

What I do not like, is the critics panning the series and expecting the public to be swayed by their assessment of the programme. I am able to judge if I like it or not, I do not need someone who may be of a different age, lifestyle and gender telling me what I should or should not like watching and enjoying.

Critics may have their own agendas in why they choose not to like a programme which is totally different to me and why I do, why anyone takes any notice of these people is beyond me. I used to watch a film which was critiqued by someone before it was shown and the drivel from them made me wonder if they were watching the same film as I or wrote about it from memory.

Anyway, no critical assessment from me, as yet although I did miss Jessie last week and I hope it all ends significantly.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit flat so far imo......
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Story told well enough for me. Liked it.
  • Options
    squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missed two episodes out. Despite critics I would think there are some break out roles for many of the cast. I liked it. Just think it could have been done in less episodes.
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this series, was it just me or was it not made clear how Julian murdered Jessie? i mean i know we he wrote a suicide note saying it was him i think but not how he was able to have alibi's?
  • Options
    fergferg Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I thought the last part felt much more like a Poliakoff production with contrived scenes and forced dialogue. That's not a bad thing as I prefer that otherworldly feel than the standard BBC drama of the first four.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this series, was it just me or was it not made clear how Julian murdered Jessie? i mean i know we he wrote a suicide note saying it was him i think but not how he was able to have alibi's?

Flown out on Masterson's private plane and Masterson paid for his passport to be stamped as if he travelled by train.

Julian said all this in the cafe.
  • Options
    sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member

It was shown in the last episode that his 2 freemason friends supplied him with false alibis.
    He also mentioned in the cafe that the American guy was able to arrange for his passport to be fraudulently stamped with the wrong time.
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In his speech about how Masterton could arrange flights in his private plane and use his connections to get passports stamped just prior to him topping himself!
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was it not possible for Louis to tell the police that the two witnesses lied when they said they didn't know Julian ? If they were covering up a murder would they really just have gone up to the person who was suspected of that murder and introduced themselves ?

I don't think I missed the point of the series . It was inconsistent and unconvincing, but it looked gorgeous. I really wanted to like it but didn't in the end , although I watched it all !
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In his speech about how Masterton could arrange flights in his private plane and use his connections to get passports stamped just prior to him topping himself!
    sanfran1 wrote: »
    It was shown in the last episode that his 2 freemason friends supplied him with false alibis.
    He also mentioned in the cafe that the American guy was able to arrange for his passport to be fraudulently stamped with the wrong time.
    dome wrote: »
    Flown out on Masterson's private plane and Masterson paid for his passport to be stamped as if he travelled by train.

Julian said all this in the cafe.

Thanks, must not have paid too much attention when they were in the cafe lol
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it so much,I was engrossed as you had to be to piece it all together.

Loved it, John Goodman was really believable as the rest of the cast but still feel that Pamela was just not posh enough in her accent as they were in those days.

But I loved it.
  • Options
    Paul GraysonPaul Grayson Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still trying to work out as to how Masterson could have attempted to fly to the US by private aircraft in early 1934.

Nothing suitable for private use was capable of making a direct flight east to west back then. It may have been possible to cross the Atlantic via a series of hops, either going via Iceland and Greenland and on to Canada, or via Portugal or North Africa to the Azores and on to South America, but even then I doubt it.

Capable aircraft such as the Douglas DC-2 or Boeing 247 were still about a year away from operational service.
  • Options
    timetogetagriptimetogetagrip Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still trying to work out as to how Masterson could have attempted to fly to the US by private aircraft in early 1934.

Nothing suitable for private use was capable of making a direct flight east to west back then. It may have been possible to cross the Atlantic via a series of hops, either going via Iceland and Greenland and on to Canada, or via Portugal or North Africa to the Azores and on to South America, but even then I doubt it.

Capable aircraft such as the Douglas DC-2 or Boeing 247 were still about a year away from operational service.

They said they were flying to France and then taking a boat to New york- so he was not attempting to fly to the US just to France
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about the motiive for the killing- so Julian was the object of Masterson's desire which he indulged for the prestige but didn't enjoy. Why did Julian go along with the whole thing? Was it for money?His family seemed rich enough for him not to have to work.

He killed Jessie (who seemed to reciprocate his affection) because she struggled when he tried to show his love? And he just happened to have taken a knife with him when he lied to her about a Hollywood agent wanting to see her?Was that a lie, and if it was why did he lie when she had willingly gone out with him before? If he loved her why would he ruin her evening of singing for the Prince?Why did he have to show his love that night, or was he just mad?

The more I think about it the worse the programme seems.
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    The point is that Julian turned out to be a dark character capable of planning things (he was persuaded Jessie not to sing for the Prince that night) and tending to be violent with women. Thats why they showed the scene with him holding Rosies arm too tight, she was only saved by the hotel manager coming in.

He started out almost like a knight in shining armour and ended up a person who wasnt just violent to others but to his own person too when he shot himself.

I understand completely the title now, because the band (because they were not white) were literally on the edge the whole entire time; in this episode, when they were in the tunnel and the hotel manager was saying which club did they come from... I was thinking the police are going to turn up any second as they escaped from the club.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I didn't enjoy last week's episode as it was too slow and I nodded off! However, last night's episode made up for it. It was quite tense throughout and at one point I thought he was going to kill the little girls.:eek:

I thought from the start that Julian was a wrong-un, as Tom Hughes is very good at playing that sort of character - dark, mysterious and dangerous ... and rather sexy!:D
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    I will have to watch last nights again as I thought it was very flat.

It was obvious that it was Julian as the killer and not sure they said why he did it?

As it was Julian why did Louis have to still be on the run?

The weird looking people that kept being shown... there was no explaination for them?

All very confusing but admit I was trying to do 2 things at once for the first 15 mins :o
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been a great series which I've found a pleasure to watch. Odd at times (mostly in a good way), even flawed in some ways, but fabulous to look at, and the slow build up really gave you time to get interested in the characters. I don't like the current trend on TV towards fast plots and quick moving drama so this was a treat for me.

I enjoyed the finale a lot and thought that on the whole it did a good job of wrapping things up, but I still felt very sightly disappointed by it. I think it's because I'd built up in my head a more sinister explanation for Jessie's murder, which had more to do with racism and subterfuge rather than Julian's screwed up attempt at affection. However I did think Tom Hughes portrayed Julian's unravelling guilt and mental illness brilliantly - the scene in Donaldson's garden when he showed the little girls the gun was especially unnerving!

It did annoy me a bit how Louis got away with the hiding in plain sight thing. The scene at the bowls club for example, and the ballet class and on the train - are we really supposed to believe nobody would recognise him? It's almost like saying 'all black men look the same' - but perhaps in those days of limited media pictures, not many would have seen Louis' photograph and therefore he might have got away with it. I just found it a bit comical at times but i think there was a degree of dark humour in this episode so I can forgive it.

Poliakoff seems to be of the opinion that the viewer shouldn't have every single thing explained at the end of a drama, that we should use the information given to work out the finer points of people's motives for ourselves, which on the whole I like doing. The one character I couldn't work out for myself at the end, though, was Lady Cremone. I thought she would be more proactive in coming to Louis' aid but all she seemed to do for the whole episode was sit around looking stressed. I couldn't work out what her story was at the end - was she instrumental (pardon the pun) in ensuring the band were kept on at the Imperial, or what? It wasn't clear, or else I missed something, which is possible as I watched it very late at night..
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    Watched the series in full now. Thought it was reasonable-to-pretty good at times, but not great.

I sometimes feel Poliakoff gets a free ride due to the argument "that's just the way he does things". I still feel his back catalogue is full of woeful content and although he should be praised when a series of his manages to rise above it, I've yet to be fully blown away by anything he's made.

He's patchy at best and it doesn't matter how intentional his style of story-telling is, if it gets to the point where it detracts from a potentially better piece of television then there's nothing wrong in criticising it as such.

Dancing on the Edge was still alright though, despite its problems. One of his better ones. Frustrating though, because I can't help but feel there still could have been a superior show buried in there with better story-telling.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Not a great end to this Drama, but still better then anything I saw, tried to watch on the BEEB last year.

Found the Bowling Green and Ballet Lesson, just a bit Mad, and those two Girls.
    Liked the demise of Julian, after his Sausage & Mash.
    Thought it was funny seeing Stan back at the Old Office at the end too.

Louis's escape went on too long.....and by the end, he could come back.
    It was interesting how Sarah was made to tell the Police what she knew, because of her Russian Dad.....and a new camera too....she looked stunning at the end.

And the Hotel survived....
  • Options
    fergferg Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    I sometimes feel Poliakoff gets a free ride due to the argument "that's just the way he does things". I still feel his back catalogue is full of woeful content and although he should be praised when a series of his manages to rise above it, I've yet to be fully blown away by anything he's made.
    Why should everything strive to be the same kind of thing though, I can't think of any BBC or ITV dramas that you'd be able to guess who wrote or directed just by the way it feels, rather than it's subject matter.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    ferg wrote: »
    Why should everything strive to be the same kind of thing though, I can't think of any BBC or ITV dramas that you'd be able to guess who wrote or directed just by the way it feels, rather than it's subject matter.
    I never said everything should strive to be the same.

But if a deliberate style impacts on the potential quality of the story-telling, then it's still a negative against the show - regardless of whether it's intentional or not.

There are ways of having a certain style and still telling the story brilliantly - but with Poliakoff I feel he's never worked out how to do that. All in my opinion of course.