IPod classic 160GB

welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
Forum Member
Would anyone be kind enough to give me pros and cons for this please? How good is the picture quality playing videos in the form of movies and TV shows? And is the screen big enough for such in your opinion? Sorry to sound like such a novice - I kind of am!

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's got a small screen and isn't suitable for watching anything on it really.
    there are watches with bigger screens these days.

you'll be wanting an ipod touch (or similar) if it's video viewing you are interested in.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Ah many thanks chenks :) Any cons to the touch?
  • Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a tool for carrying music it is unbeatable in my opinion. Hidden into the car and connected to the audio system..it just plays away on shuffle all the time.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Ah many thanks chenks :) Any cons to the touch?

Only the lack of memory compared to an Ipod Classic unless you've got deep pockets.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Only the lack of memory compared to an Ipod Classic unless you've got deep pockets.

I think you will find the larger memory iPod touch fits in shallow pockets too *giggle*

PJ
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a 64gb iPod touch for Xmas. I've got all my music on there, about 80 music videos, 2 movies and 10 TV episodes and all my apps and games. I still have about 25 gb left.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a 64gb iPod touch for Xmas. I've got all my music on there, about 80 music videos, 2 movies and 10 TV episodes and all my apps and games. I still have about 25 gb left.

You must not have much music then as my moderately sized collection is around 60GB (8000 song) at 256 kbps AAC. I would guess lots of people are way over that.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You must not have much music then as my moderately sized collection is around 60GB at 256 kbps AAC. I would guess lots of people are way over that.

most likely the majority of people don't really need (or want) to carry about their entire music collection though, and only take what they are currently listening to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    most likely the majority of people don't really need (or want) to carry about their entire music collection though, and only take what they are currently listening to.

My issue is I can never decide what I will want to listen to so that wouldn't be possible for me.

Although I have my whole collection on both iTunes Match and Google Music so I just tend to stream it or download as required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

I agree I only take a small portion of my music collection around with me at anytime. I don't see the point of carrying it all about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree I only take a small portion of my music collection around with me at anytime. I don't see the point of carrying it all about.

One minute you carry all your music collection about with you with space to spare and the next you only take a small portion as you don't see the point in carrying it all... which is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    One minute you carry all your music collection about with you with space to spare and the next you only take a small portion as you don't see the point in carrying it all... which is it?

When I said all my music I didn't literally mean all the music I own. I meant all the music I need, all that is important to me. Sorry if I wasn't clear;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I said all my music I didn't literally mean all the music I own. I meant all the music I need, all that is important to me. Sorry if I wasn't clear;)

Ahh you can see why i though that with what you said though :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly suited to video.
    You could just buy a 5" Galaxy Player and add a 64GB card. Being a 'swiss army knife of functions' it is more suited as is many a cheap big phone.

And the Archos 5 250GB is on Amazon at £99.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My iPod Classic 160GB has only one function - to carry my library of audio books. I got a new one for Christmas to replace my ancient iPod. I'm so used to falling asleep at night listening to audiobooks, I'm an insomniac without it ! Battery life is very good, and tiny screen less likely to crack if slept on :D
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can connect an iPod classic (or other iPods) to a TV and display the video. The result is not great but it is more than watchable.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    64gb iPod touch should be fine, have a look on the Apple referb store for a 4th Gen touch

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC547BT/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-64gb-black

£195 at the Moment
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    My iPod Classic 160GB has only one function - to carry my library of audio books. I got a new one for Christmas to replace my ancient iPod. I'm so used to falling asleep at night listening to audiobooks, I'm an insomniac without it ! Battery life is very good, and tiny screen less likely to crack if slept on :D

My old 30gig iPod has a virtually dead battery, but then it pretty much lives in the car (Alpine IDA-X100 head unit, better interface than the iPod for car use).
    You can connect an iPod classic (or other iPods) to a TV and display the video. The result is not great but it is more than watchable.

Used to use mine a fair bit for video, resolution wasn't great as you suggested - iirc VGA resolution was the highest it could handle. Watching on the built in screen was a chore ....
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Thanks all :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who owns a classic I've read a lot of reviews on amazon from people saying that the volume is too low, do you find this as well?
    I want a classic for the storage but i like to listen to music pretty loud! anyone? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 68GB is OK for you consider the Sansa Zip.

The Classic does not seem to have the volume booster that you have with this.
    They were also trying to get Rockbox to run on the classic which would fix that too.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an iPod Classic 160GB and it is excellent for my music collection. I have only 23gb left of it and I just use it as back up for my music in case anything happens with the external that I have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it should be. well my music on the laptop is 152gb :eek: but a lot of that i never listen to! currently my walkman is 16gb [14.7] and it's just not enough, i'm always having to delete and put new stuff on...
    the sansa looks pretty good i've noticed this one though...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-Android-Gingerbread-Player-Screen/dp/B007S6KI38/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365864018&sr=8-3&keywords=cowon

really great reviews but again the memory is a little low ideally wanting 64gb+ :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is rockbox too by the way, do you reckon that will happen or? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 'unstable' Rockbox ports available for some Classics.

But if you don't mind some bulk there are always Android devices.

2nd hand 500GB Archos 48's and maybe the 5s too go for as little as £65 on ebay.