Sugar - Copper Blue

spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Listening to this brilliant album for the first time in years and it sounds as great as it always did! The songs still sound so strong and fresh, I love the whole sound and feel of it and those driving guitars.

Anyone else love this classic album from 1992?

Comments

• AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great album sadly lost out on the big time like Nevermind and Vs.

Bob is great song write and yeah Sugar underrated band same with Husker Du,if you like this album try out Zen arcade along with Beaster and Ny Loose with Year of the rat and D Generation Helpless.

Along with Foo Fighters Colours and shape and Fu Manchu's In search of.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Great album sadly lost out on the big time like Nevermind and Vs.

Bob is great song write and yeah Sugar underrated band same with Husker Du,if you like this album try out Zen arcade along with Beaster and Ny Loose with Year of the rat and D Generation Helpless.

Along with Foo Fighters Colours and shape and Fu Manchu's In search of.

Thanks for the tips. I have Sugar's other album. F.U.E.L and the Beaster EP. Foo Fighters The Colour And The Shape is still my favourite albums EVER. I have some of Husker Du's albums too. I'm not so familiar with NY Loose, Fu Manchu or D Generation but will check them out, thanks. :)
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I remember this being one of my favourite albums of the early 90s, not listened to it in ages but will have to dig it out - Bob Mould is a legend. Although I do think he was trying a bit too hard to sound like the Pixies on a few tracks on this album (but then in the early 90s so was everyone.)

I'm sure I remember seeing Sugar live in the early 90s as well, probably when they were touring to support this album although it's all a bit vague, it was a long time ago now. :D
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, cheers for pointing out it was 1992, I cry myself to sleep over my Creation Records (RIP) cover tonight.
    Its a great album. Hooverdam and Man on the Moon, oh stuff it, every song, is a belter.
    I've lost count of the number of people I've bought it for over the years for birthdays or Christmas.
    Mould had an album out last year that's well worth a punt. Quite similar in style to Copper Blue.
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Changes in particular is a favourite.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I have Sugar's other album. F.U.E.L and the Beaster EP. Foo Fighters The Colour And The Shape is still my favourite albums EVER. I have some of Husker Du's albums too. I'm not so familiar with NY Loose, Fu Manchu or D Generation but will check them out, thanks. :)

Another good 2 album that have Copper Blue is Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind and Huffy No High Five.

And another good British band worth seeking out Llama Farmers with Dead letter chorus.

I miss the old days of MTV 120 when it use to be good.
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Copper Blue is a great album, I have a few of their and Husker Du's albums might have a re-listen

Husker Du's albums I have is warehouse songs, and apple something which I've never really listened to
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Yeah Copper Blue is a great album, I have a few of their and Husker Du's albums might have a re-listen

Husker Du's albums I have is warehouse songs, and apple something which I've never really listened to

That'd be Candy Apple Grey - Probably my favourite Husker Du album, well worth a listen!
  • MalloCupMalloCup Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Listening to this brilliant album for the first time in years and it sounds as great as it always did! The songs still sound so strong and fresh, I love the whole sound and feel of it and those driving guitars.

Anyone else love this classic album from 1992?

One of the best pop punk LPs of all time. 'Helpless' gives me tingles every time I listen to it. They played that on the 'No Nirvana' BBC2 thing, loved seeing David Barbe rock out on bass with his whimsical backing vox.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Good Idea is a very very dark song. Add the awesome bass and you have the best song Bob ever did. :)

He held her head high in his hands
    He held her down deep in the stream
    He saw the bubbles and matted hair
    Mixed in with seaweed
    She started to scream
    Was it something I said
    Was it something I said
    And she said and she said
    And she said she said

Now that's a good idea she said she said
    To be alone with you she said she said
    I've been waiting for years
    And I'd rather be dead...

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the worst record I have listened to from that era. It didn't strike me at the time as being that original but had a few strong songs, more melodic than Husker Du. I listened to it again today after all these years and I still feel much the same. The singles were great. I have never listened to much else by Sugar.