Films you won't watch on principle?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Internship ticked every box I can imagine.

As if two actors I can't stand in the lead wasn't bad enough, there were the aggressive YouTube and poster campaigns (etc) headed by dual idiots and sell-outs Vaughan and Wilson, and that was before the subject matter.

Comments

• 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only type of film i won't watch on principle is a snuff film. Anything else, i'm open to based on my interests and how it looks.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    The only type of film i won't watch on principle is a snuff film. Anything else, i'm open to based on my interests and how it looks.

Pretty much this, and despite me absolutely loathing both Wilson & Vaughn i am actually interested in seeing The Internship.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Rom-Coms. Or films with Steven Segal. Most other films which hopefully are only pretend (in extreme cases.) I will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    The Internship ticked every box I can imagine.

As if two actors I can't stand in the lead wasn't bad enough, there were the aggressive YouTube and poster campaigns (etc) headed by dual idiots and sell-outs Vaughan and Wilson, and that was before the subject matter.
    American Rom-Coms. Or films with Steven Segal. Most other films which hopefully are only pretend (in extreme cases.) I will.

How are principles involved in these examples? They're just films you don't like the look of.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Any gangster film.I have zero interest in films where every single character is a lowlife.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    What I call blood and snot films...war or serial killer types.

Also anything that is advertised over and over and over again on the telly or in the newspapers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any of the Scary Movie sequals, trash cinema is an epidemic these days, so so many bad films being made.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Any of the Scary Movie sequals, trash cinema is an epidemic these days, so so many bad films being made.

I was just about to post "Anything starring one of the Wayans brothers"
  • halstationhalstation Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How about an American Rom-Com staring Steven Segal? You have to admit it would be interesting to see how it would turn out.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Transformers films or anything of their ilk. They are poison to proper film-making and the fact that some films are now clearly trying to ape the style and turn it into a genre of its own (thankfully unsuccessfully) is even worse.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powder, Clownhouse, Jeepers Creepers 1&2 - basically anything directed by Victor Salva.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0759207/?ref_=sr_1
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Serbian film is probably the only film I can think of that I wouldn't watch due to some of its content.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanic. I don't care if it's one of the most successful films, I refuse to ever watch it.

I've gotten a few 'Omg how can you have never seen Titanic?!' moments, which somehow put me off it even more.

I also don't watch any Horror films.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty much this. There are plenty of films I probably wouldn't watch because they look crap. That's not quite the same as avoiding a film on principle. If it showed real rape, torture, murder or something along those lines, then I'd only entertain it on the basis that I might get the seller arrested for their efforts. But I certainly wouldn't watch it.

Anything else, I don't really assign "principles," to fictional film.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Well, considering that not a single one has ever been found, I'd say you're on pretty safe ground.

Not out of principle but rather that they're desperately unfunny from the few I've seen, I don't watch Hollywood comedies. Also, largely because it's become such a lazy genre, I don't watch horror films.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a film that I've seen but would not watch again.

A lot of people will disagree but 'American History X'.

The murder scene is just too much for me and spoils a film that I may have otherwise enjoyed.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Not so much a principle - more like 'why waste the cash?' - but I'll give a wide berth to:

Richard Curtis/Hugh Grant/Aniston etc - twee romcom pigswill.

Sub-Guy Ritchie/Winstone/Vinnie Jones/Dyer (inevitably) etc - subnormal, knuckle-dragging, mockney 'Hardman' crap.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless remakes of classic films. Michael Caine movies seem to be especially vulnerable to this: Alfie, Get Carter, Sleuth etc.

The next Terminator film I will be giving a wide berth to considering how the franchise has deteriorated so far.

I agree with previous post on Richard Curtis films. Sloppy, puke-inducing, sentimental, posh, stereotyped and totally unbelievable bollocks.

Adaptations of Jane Austen novels - usually starring a posh girl like Kate Winslet or Keira Knightley - see Richard Curtis films for same reason.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Delete)
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chick Flicks - love stories, rom-Coms, etc - because I'm a bloke! A single bloke if that. Everyone and their dog keeps telling me to watch Love Actually. But refuse and will never see it not even until the sun burns out and my bones are dust!

Also will not watch any more of The Amazing Spidarman films, as I hated the first film so much. And that's quite unlike me!! As I watch anything and enjoy super hero movies. But that recent movie was just so boring and just don't like the characters created.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that Tarrantino is involved in. Pretentious, pointless garbage to me and yes, I've seen a couple like Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. Awful.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never watch Mama Mia, or Brokeback Mountain.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mama Mia and the harry potter franchies......
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chick Flicks - love stories, rom-Coms, etc - because I'm a bloke! A single bloke if that. Everyone and their dog keeps telling me to watch Love Actually. But refuse and will never see it not even until the sun burns out and my bones are dust!

Also will not watch any more of The Amazing Spidarman films, as I hated the first film so much. And that's quite unlike me!! As I watch anything and enjoy super hero movies. But that recent movie was just so boring and just don't like the characters created.

I get somewhat miffed when I hear some say they won't watch something because or arbotery rules.

You shouldn't not watch chick flicks just because your a fella. To everything an open mind........
  • mark27bmark27b Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    An increasing number of franchise films at the cinema originally for adults with later films targeted at 12 or 13 year olds to maximise box office returns with the DVD/Blu-Ray then issued as a 'harder cut' for adults e.g.

Taken 2 at the cinema due to the child friendly 12A rating.

A Good Day to Die Hard (Die Hard 5) at the cinema due to the child friendly 12A rating.

The upcoming RoboCop remake at the cinema due to the child friendly PG-13/12A rating it's meant to be aiming for.

The later Terminator films.

I also try to avoid the J. J. Abrams Star Trek movies as the timeline reboot / destruction of Vulcan etc... wiped out everything that happen post that event in the original Kirk tv series, TNG, DS9, Voyager and the previous cinema movies with the exception of Enterprise.