Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I see there's an upcoming TV special honouring Cilla Black. Considering the posts and links in this thread to stories about her, it'll be amusing to see all the D-listers sucking up to her!

I thought exactly the same, like she needs her ego boosted anymore :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Harriet Harman is extremely patronising and uncomfortable around the hoi polloi.
    Many years ago I worked with her (in a menial role) and must admit she was not exactly warm and friendly to the juniors.
    realwales wrote: »
    Gordon Brown is a nasty piece of work behind the scenes. A VERY shady character as well, totally unsuitable to be Prime Minister. .

My sister works at the Treasury and says the opposite: that he was invariably friendly and rather charming to the staff, often turning up with his little boys and chatting to everyone. I know that he has a reputation for being stressed out and moody, but I thought people should know of that side of him as well.

Both my father and my daughter have had dealings with Rowan Williams at very different stages in his career, and they both agree that he really was (and presumably is) a very, very nice man.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's Harriet Harman's hubby Jack Dromey like?
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is absolutely brilliant :D

Full of bitterness but yet addictive!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Nice: Micheal Caine, very down to earth and took time to chat to everyone.

Not nice: Kaye Burley - totally up her own arse.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full of bitterness but yet addictive!

To be fair, compared to many threads on DS, at lists there's some positivity here, the nice bit:)
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,562
    Forum Member
    To be fair, compared to many threads on DS, at lists there's some positivity here, the nice bit:)

And on the subject of Politicians - here's one. John Major, such a lovely guy, very helpful and Norma is too. I have had many dealing with him, and his assistant (can't remember his name) was so insanely funny he had me crying with laughter. I was so sad that he was labelled 'grey', just because the press couldn't find anything to pin on him - they should have waited a few years and the label might have been '50 shades of........' ;) (I was dead shocked, I can tell you, I mean Edwina!!! yuk yuk yuk)
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I worked with her (in a menial role) and must admit she was not exactly warm and friendly to the juniors.

My sister works at the Treasury and says the opposite: that he was invariably friendly and rather charming to the staff, often turning up with his little boys and chatting to everyone. I know that he has a reputation for being stressed out and moody, but I thought people should know of that side of him as well.

Both my father and my daughter have had dealings with Rowan Williams at very different stages in his career, and they both agree that he really was (and presumably is) a very, very nice man.

I agree about Dr Rowan Williams. I met him around a decade ago. Really nice man.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I agree with this, Harr. The fact that they mention this in their autobiography and think it's a bit of a 'laff' shows how immature they still are, not to mention disrespectful. Don't worry- the boot could very easily be on the other foot. It's not like it's never happened to them at an inappropriate time, 'cause I'd bet my last 20p it has.

Mcfly have an autobiography? What the hell is in it at their age?
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Bit off topic I know - but as she's a regular feature of this thread - can I ask if anyone will be buying the new Cilla album?
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I see there's an upcoming TV special honouring Cilla Black. Considering the posts and links in this thread to stories about her, it'll be amusing to see all the D-listers sucking up to her!

D-list ? I watched Tom Hanks on The Jonathon Ross Show
    treating "Our Cilla" like she was a national treasure last night. She, of course was lapping it up.;)
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Valerian wrote: »
    D-list ? I watched Tom Hanks on The Jonathon Ross Show
    treating "Our Cilla" like she was a national treasure last night. She, of course was lapping it up.;)

Tom Hanks is so nice though - he wouldn't want to offend anyone. He has no idea who she is either!
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Tom Hanks is so nice though - he wouldn't want to offend anyone. He has no idea who she is either!

About Cilla, I have naught to say.

Tom Hanks went to a friend's restaurant a few years ago, when he was filming in the UK. She says that he was absolutely delightful.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reader123 wrote: »
    A mate of ours knew one of the security men years ago that checked on parking permits near offices. Jennifer Ellison parked in a place and the security man told her she could not park there. She said to him that there was no where else to park, he apologised but said she had to move. She then said. "do you know who I am", so he promptly got on his walky talky and said "Jimmy, can you phone an ambulance, I have a lady here who does not know who she is", she then drove off, lol.

Boss. :D
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Mcfly have an autobiography? What the hell is in it at their age?

Tons of PUDD - hopefully. :D:cool::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    reader123 wrote: »
    A mate of ours knew one of the security men years ago that checked on parking permits near offices. Jennifer Ellison parked in a place and the security man told her she could not park there. She said to him that there was no where else to park, he apologised but said she had to move. She then said. "do you know who I am", so he promptly got on his walky talky and said "Jimmy, can you phone an ambulance, I have a lady here who does not know who she is", she then drove off, lol.

I once knew a security guard who had a similar encounter with Clare Balding. When she came out with the infamous "don't you know who I am" line he replied, "Yes Clare, I know who you are. And you're still not parking here!":D
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Margaret_M wrote: »
    I once knew a security guard who had a similar encounter with Clare Balding. When she came out with the infamous "don't you know who I am" line he replied, "Yes Clare, I know who you are. And you're still not parking here!":D

A mate who was in the police once caught a local footballer driving like a lunatic. When the he walked up to the car, the footballer looked at him with a smug grin on his face and said "Do you know who I am?"

My mate replied "Yes I do. Which means I won't have any problems identifying you in court."
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Yes, it's always worth remembering the way she ripped off an Australian children's charity as well.

It's interesting to hear other people's stories of Gordon Brown, none of which surprise me. You've all barely scratched the surface with him though.

She is a true vile piece of scum to rip off a children's charity, as for GB I have another tale that alleges that him and his chief bully were planning on using the image of Cameron's deceased son in a poster campaign to attack Tory benefit policies, I do not share Cameron's politics but if true that is truly sickening that anyone would dare use the image of the deceased son of a political opponent to score political points.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a true vile piece of scum to rip off a children's charity, as for GB I have another tale that alleges that him and his chief bully were planning on using the image of Cameron's deceased son in a poster campaign to attack Tory benefit policies, I do not share Cameron's politics but if true that is truly sickening that anyone would dare use the image of the deceased son of a political opponent to score political points.

While I can believe from what I've read about him Gordon Brown does have his "not nice" moments I'm not sure if I believe that particular rumour. He himself lost a daughter and was unhappy that details of his son's cystic fibrosis was published.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I met Alicia Keys backstage @ the o2 Arena in 2008 and in May this year.

This was all completely free! unlike some stars that make their fans pay £1000+ to meet them.

When I met her in 2008, she let a load of us watch her rehearse for around 20 mins in the arena. After that she met us in small groups, gave everyone hugs, chatted and signed stuff for people and had a picture taken with us. She was so down to earth and lovely.

I also got to meet her this year in May during her tour. This time time I was given an extra ticket for a friend to meet her with me, tickets closer to the stage for the show, a free bar, poster (which I wasn't really fussed about but still nice) and we got to meet her and have a picture. She was just as nice as the first time I met her, she's absolutely stunning in person and just a warm person. I know some other singers have meet and greets that look very uncomfortable like Britney Spears
    http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/britney-spears-awkward__oPt.jpg :D

Alicia's not scared to touch her fans though http://www.flickr.com/photos/aliciakeysmeetandgreet/8616943130/in/set-72157633256651084

The sad thing is, I never got my picture the second time because I forgot to give my email :(. I still have my first one though, so it's not too bad.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheridan Smith & Will Mellor both very generous with their time, talking to folk and posing for photos with anyone who wanted to at an event in our town at the weekend. Sheridan in particular came down to the audience area and was dancing around with the crowd.

Made a lacklustre event very enjoyable - and Will Mellor was hilarious on stage. It was a singing gig but his set was punctuated with familiar Mellorisms :)
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Just watched Dennis Skinner in PMQ's asking Cameron a question about ATOS and a constituent of his a Farmer who was told by ATOS he was fit to work and died a few months later "as his cancer eat him away". Ive met Dennis a few occassions at the Commons and always found him charming and approachable, even when he found out I was from Belfast and we had a laugh about NI Politics . So it was so sad to see him today getting very emotional at PMQ's and this Farmer who died ...sums Dennis to a T a very genuine and hard working MP who cares ...dare I say a complete one off.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cameron at a Conservative party party.

He was nice, very charming. You could sense the power in the room as soon as he walked in.

I'm not a Conservative party supporter but I was sucked in. :D
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were rumours about Gordon Brown bullying staff at Number 10. I can well believe that. His wife seems so lovely though?

A friend to a family member of mine claims to have been in the building - but not the same room, when an item was 'launched' in anger. Small dent in wall, v. lucky not to have small dent in somone's head...
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilla alert now talking on radio 2. :eek: