windows7 Unable to open any websites

primrosegirlprimrosegirl Posts: 1,369
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I am writing this on my tablet which is connected via my BT modem. But I can't open any websites on my desktop PC at all. It just whirrs round and round, I've tried cleaning out any unneccessary files, but no luck. It was working once it had been rebooted a couple of times but now it doesn'nt want to know......any ideas guys?

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Hi, I am writing this on my tablet which is connected via my BT modem. But I can't open any websites on my desktop PC at all. It just whirrs round and round, I've tried cleaning out any unneccessary files, but no luck. It was working once it had been rebooted a couple of times but now it doesn'nt want to know......any ideas guys?

Does Windows load correctly? (any error messages)

Which browser are you using and have you tried any others if you have them on your PC?

Do other internet services work, like say email?

Have you installed any software recently?

Take a look at your virus checker or firewall to see if you've got internet access disabled for some reason.

Is the PC connected to the router by cable or wifi? It might be worth doing a reset of the router anyway, there will probably be a reset button on it somewhere or just unplug the power and restart it.

In your network settings what does it tell you regarding your ethernet or wifi link?
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried re-booting the modem router instead?
  • longzhenglongzheng Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Try resetting your web browser's settings to see if that helps.
  • primrosegirlprimrosegirl Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Windows load correctly? (any error messages)

Which browser are you using and have you tried any o
    thers if you have them on your PC?

Do other internet services work, like say email?

Have you installed any software recently?

Take a look at your virus checker or firewall to see if you've got internet access disabled for some reason.

Is the PC connected to the router by cable or wifi? It might be worth doing a reset of the router anyway, there will probably be a reset button on it somewhere or just unplug the power and restart it.

In your network settings what does it tell you regarding your ethernet or wifi link?
    Hi Rodney,
    Windows loads no problem no errors.
    Using IE but also have Chrome and Modzilla, no luck there.
    Have unplugged at the wall, same.
    Had a look at network settings, not sure what I'm looking at but nothing jumps out.
    McAfee antivirus has all green ticks, so looks OK
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest what happens if you type Google's IP address into the address bar of your browser?

http://74.125.224.72/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Out of interest what happens if you type Google's IP address into the address bar of your browser?

http://74.125.224.72/

Still the same, just whirrs round and round! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Have you tried re-booting the modem router instead?
    Yup, tried that too. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well guys, after resetting the modem, I then restarted the PC and it opened! So I thank you all, but I don't know, but it looks like it just needed a kick up the b@&!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    well guys, after resetting the modem, I then restarted the PC and it opened! So I thank you all, but I don't know, but it looks like it just needed a kick up the b@&!

Good, well done. I sometimes find one of my PC's will refuse to access the internet but another computer will. I usually find resetting the router cures it.
  • longzhenglongzheng Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you've got the problem sorted, well done! ;)