PS3 overheating...and solution..for me anyway.

HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok. 3 times in the last month or so so my PS3 has decided to shut down without warning. This last time, googled it and flashing red light means....overheating. Checked it had plenty of ventilation, it did. Then, luckily, on a whim, felt the underside of the front panel. Found an air intake absolutly chocked up with cat hair!. It's probably the only place on the PS3 I've never dusted, as its underneath the front panel. (I've had the unit almost 4 years).
So, if your PS3 does this, and you have pets, check the air intake. :)

Comments

• ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Another thing to do is unplug then hold eject and plug the power back in. It'll turn the fans on at full speed and blast a crap load of dust out the back. One of our ps3's was overheating and doing that fixed it.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing to do is unplug then hold eject and plug the power back in. It'll turn the fans on at full speed and blast a crap load of dust out the back. One of our ps3's was overheating and doing that fixed it.

Isn't that only with the phat ps3s though?
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Nope we have slims here.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That fan trick doesn't work on the launch 60GB PS3. It should work on the 40GB and later models.

Another option is to use compressed air and a powerful vacuum cleaner to remove the dislodged dust. If you live with pets and/or smoke then you might need to do this more frequently especially during the Summer.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope we have slims here.

Cheers just done it on my slim :)