Motherboard and Processor

cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
Forum Member
Sorry poll is already up

[B]Which Motherboard should I go for? [/B] and [B]Which Processor should I choose?[/B 44 votes

Gigabyte
22% 10 votes
AsRock
25% 11 votes
Intel
22% 10 votes
AMD
29% 13 votes

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it makes very little difference what board you go for.

processor more so. but only you can know what your needs are.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past, I've just went for motherboards that have met the specifications of what I was after. Providing they were within my price range though.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    Sorry poll is already up

psst. You should have used a multiple choice poll :)
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    People say Gigabyte is troublesome
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    psst. You should have used a multiple choice poll :)

Yep OP has totally messed it up.

Why does the OP need a poll? :confused:
    Whats the question? :confused:
    Whats the OP aiming to achive from the results?:confused:

The OP will just get posts like

But ive never had any problems with anything Gigabyte.

Does the OP want to run Vista on it :D
    sorry couldnt resist ;)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd recommend a genuine XT board with a 8086 processor, with perhaps 2 360kb full height drives would be a good choice :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Not sure someone with your 'skills' should eve be aksing
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Not sure someone with your 'skills' should eve be aksing

Maybe its a test to see how much we know. ;)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Maybe its a test to see how much we know. ;)

Ah, think you could be on to something there :D
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Intel Core i5-4440 3.10GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail Intel Core i5-4440 3.10GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail

ASRock H87M-ITX Intel H87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ITX Motherboard ASRock H87M-ITX Intel H87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ITX Motherboard
    In-Win BM639 Mini ITX Case with 160W PSU - Black In-Win BM639 Mini ITX Case with 160W PSU - Black
    Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE Slimline 8x DVD±RW SATA Drive - OEM Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE Slimline 8x DVD±RW SATA Drive - OEM

OR

Gigabyte F2A85XN-WIFI AMD A85X Chipset (Socket FM2) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    The poll doesn't make any sense. If it had been the usual AMD vs Intel thing perhaps but its also being broken down into board manufacturers too?

Since you seem to be after an ITX board i'll throw mine in there for good measure - ASRock Z77E-ITX. Costs a fair bit but you get a lot for your money.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    I didn't care for the poll, I just evened out the graph so it looks pretty.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »

Wouldn't it be weird if we had a tie-break...............
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

lol I just evened it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    i'd recommend a genuine XT board with a 8086 processor, with perhaps 2 360kb full height drives would be a good choice :D

lol I like it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the OP I think Intel is better these days 10 years ago it wouldve been AMD. I cant comment on the boad as I havent looked at new boads for a long while.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have had two Gigabyte boards over the last 10 years and both of them I have had problems with, but a Mate of mine swears by them and I admit they have been good for him the computer he have got now is the second Gigabyte board based machine he have had.

I like asrock, they are a good price and they are reliable. i think they are owned by Asus still, it is Asus lower end market.

People are going to like different boards, I knew someone who liked Abit, now in my opinion they was a load of rubbish.

AMD don't make boards, i also think Intel have gone out of that market now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabyte and MSI are two brands I would buy.

There is a large community of hardcore users willing to root out issues and even issue BIOS mods, etc. Plus the boards have plenty of flavours to get the precise number or type of connectors you may want. Low end boards are seemingly as well-supported as the high-end stuff.

If you push me for a preference, Gigabyte.

ASUS seem only aimed at enthusiasts (hence ASRock), I did have an ABit I liked but they stopped making boards, likewise AOpen (Acer). There were many manufacturers I used when I was AMD powered, but nearly all those ended in tears (Jetway/Amptron/Biostar/Foxconn/ECS) there was a good Soltek I owned, which along with the Abit, sit in a pile somwhere!

For the few quid extra over ASRock, Biostar et al, go with Gigabyte or MSI.

The Haswell boards are very small, but the NUC stuff is amazing.
    noise747 wrote: »
    IAMD don't make boards, i also think Intel have gone out of that market now.

No, they still make boards that 3rd parties make better than they do with their own silicon. They usually produce reference designs.

Precisely 1 Z87 board - http://ark.intel.com/products/series/72195/Intel-Desktop-Boards-with-Intel-Z87-Chipset
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Gigabyte and MSI are two brands I would buy.

There is a large community of hardcore users willing to root out issues and even issue BIOS mods, etc. Plus the boards have plenty of flavours to get the precise number or type of connectors you may want. Low end boards are seemingly as well-supported as the high-end stuff.

If you push me for a preference, Gigabyte.

I used to like MSI, I built a few computers over the years with their boards, not for me mind you, but for other people and some of them like a old P4 is still working.

i think once bitten twice shy with gigabyte for me, It takes a lot for me to trust a brand again after I had problems with them, just like with Seagate drives, I can't see myself buying a Seagate again.

ASUS seem only aimed at enthusiasts (hence ASRock), I did have an ABit I liked but they stopped making boards, likewise AOpen (Acer). There were many manufacturers I used when I was AMD powered, but nearly all those ended in tears (Jetway/Amptron/Biostar/Foxconn/ECS) there was a good Soltek I owned, which along with the Abit, sit in a pile somwhere!

For the few quid extra over ASRock, Biostar et al, go with Gigabyte or MSI.

Not sure what you mean aimed at enthusiasts. Asrock do some good boards for the price, the one I am using now is a 970 Extreame 3, it was a good price for what it offered at the time, but I have also installed cheaper basic Asrock boards in computers over the last 3-4 years and they are all still going even the one that took a power surge from a PSU that went belly up. the sound have not worked since, but we solved that problem with a sound card.

Biostar is awful, someone I know decided to go against my advice and got one, we sent it back 3 times and got a replacement twice, and in the end i got them to get a Asrock.

I have had my fair share of naff boards over the years, PCchips, Jetway, ECS.

i will stick with Asrock now unless i have problems with them, not that I am planning to update the desktop for a while. If I did them I would go for something like the 990FX extreame 4
    No, they still make boards that 3rd parties make better than they do with their own silicon. They usually produce reference designs.

Precisely 1 Z87 board - http://ark.intel.com/products/series/72195/Intel-Desktop-Boards-with-Intel-Z87-Chipset

I see. I know AMd don't make the boards, they did stop producing chipsets as well, but now got back into it.
    I prefer AMD to intel to be honest, I know Intel makes some pretty good good processors, but there is somethig about AMD. Maybe it is because they are the smaller fish in the sea, I do seem to go for those sort of companies. It could be also I have always had AMD apart from my first PC, which was a cyrix and they have never let me down.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poll is worthless.

troll thread?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's very important on what board you go for.

Micro ATX or standard ATX, what are you planning to do OP?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    lotrjw wrote: »
    lol I just evened it out.

Just bumped Gigabyte up. 3-3-3 now :D

But somebodys messed it up with Intel :mad:
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Just bumped Gigabyte up. 3-3-3 now :D

But somebodys messed it up with Intel :mad:

Curses! We need 3 more voters, now!
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I wasn't quick enough and just put AMD ahead :o.
    In-Win BM639 Mini ITX Case with 160W PSU

I've never built a PC but 160W is not enough.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I wasn't quick enough and just put AMD ahead :o.

I've never built a PC but 160W is not enough.

For a 'normal' computer 160w can be plenty :)