Delivering Mail To Wrong Address

We live in a street that has the same number and name as one around the corner (apart from the ending, we're 'road' and they are 'avenue') and we are both constantly getting the wrong mail delivered to each others doors.

The guy who lives there gave us some mail a few years back and told me that he is no longer prepared to give us mistakenly delivered mail. We could tell him that it's neither his fault or ours, but it didn't seem like he was the kind of person that could be reasoned with. Felt like smacking him in the mouth, due to his attitude, if the truth be told.

Recently, we've failed to receive bills and important letters either on time ,or completely, and I was wondering if his stance was legal? I think he's binning them whereas we shove his through his door.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We live in a street that has the same number and name as one around the corner (apart from the ending, we're 'road' and they are 'avenue') and we are both constantly getting the wrong mail delivered to each others doors.

The guy who lives there gave us some mail a few years back and told me that he is no longer prepared to give us mistakenly delivered mail. We could tell him that it's neither his fault or ours, but it didn't seem like he was the kind of person that could be reasoned with. Felt like smacking him in the mouth, due to his attitude, if the truth be told.

Recently, we've failed to receive bills and important letters either on time ,or completely, and I was wondering if his stance was legal? I think he's binning them whereas we shove his through his door.

Have you tried speaking to the post office?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where he stands legally, but I'd get onto Royal Mail and tell them to get their act together!

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump3?catId=400144&mediaId=15400369

If you contact them, then they'll sort it out apparantly.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    The exact same thing happens to me. The only similarity is the NUMBER not even the road! Although I live a short distance away.

I feel it's complete laziness on the posties fault because it continuously happens. And they are very distinct differences in the address.

It's frustrating but I wouldn't dare to complain in case its the same postie all the time and he would know it was me that complained and do WORSE with my post.

It's been happening over a year now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand why you drop the mail round, but to him he's just getting his post, so he's not going to think of reciprocating, & he's told you as much. He's not obliged to forward your mail to you, & he may well be throwing it away or putting it in the post box when he next goes out for it to be re-delivered. I can imagine he gets fed up when it keeps happening - I don't mind doing it for the occasional letter, but when it happened on a regular basis I took it up with the postman & pointed out the error. As it happens, the cheeky blighter told me I could just pass it on, to which I replied that when he's prepared to sit in my office & do my job, then I'll be prepared to do his, as I couldn't see why I should do it for free when he was getting paid for it. You should take it up with the Royal Mail in writing - tell them about the slight differences in the road names & explain the problems you're having. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried speaking to the post office?
    Joey_M wrote: »
    I'm not sure where he stands legally, but I'd get onto Royal Mail and tell them to get their act together!

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump3?catId=400144&mediaId=15400369

If you contact them, then they'll sort it out apparantly.

No, I haven't tried contacting them, primarily due to the fact that I know it's not a deliberate mistake and I don't want to get low-paid workers into trouble as such. Even if I did complain, I don't think it will do much to eradicate such errors. However, I do think this is the next logical step due to the inconvenience.
    meandi22 wrote: »
    The exact same thing happens to me. The only similarity is the NUMBER not even the road! Although I live a short distance away.

I feel it's complete laziness on the posties fault because it continuously happens. And they are very distinct differences in the address.

It's frustrating but I wouldn't dare to complain in case its the same postie all the time and he would know it was me that complained and do WORSE with my post.

It's been happening over a year now.

I know what you mean. Recently, I received junk mail that had a print of a £20 note visible on the window of the letter and it had been quite clearly opened before we got it :mad: I'm not having a go at posties, but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them. The problem in this area is that there seems to be a new postman every week from what I'm told.

I can understand why you drop the mail round, but to him he's just getting his post, so he's not going to think of reciprocating, & he's told you as much. He's not obliged to forward your mail to you, & he may well be throwing it away or putting it in the post box when he next goes out for it to be re-delivered. I can imagine he gets fed up when it keeps happening - I don't mind doing it for the occasional letter, but when it happened on a regular basis I took it up with the postman & pointed out the error. As it happens, the cheeky blighter told me I could just pass it on, to which I replied that when he's prepared to sit in my office & do my job, then I'll be prepared to do his, as I couldn't see why I should do it for free when he was getting paid for it. You should take it up with the Royal Mail in writing - tell them about the slight differences in the road names & explain the problems you're having. :)

As I've said previously, I think I've no option but to take this action. The problem is that there seem to be such a high turnover over of postmen around here that it will fall on deaf ears eventually. Sadly, I think this guy is within his rights and he knows it.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I haven't tried contacting them, primarily due to the fact that I know it's not a deliberate mistake and I don't want to get low-paid workers into trouble as such. Even if I did complain, I don't think it will do much to eradicate such errors. However, I do think this is the next logical step due to the inconvenience.

.....I'm not having a go at posties, but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them. The problem in this area is that there seems to be a new postman every week from what I'm told

.....As I've said previously, I think I've no option but to take this action. The problem is that there seem to be such a high turnover over of postmen around here that it will fall on deaf ears eventually. Sadly, I think this guy is within his rights and he knows it.
    The level of pay is no excuse for not doing the job properly. :) The mail's supposed to be checked & sorted properly before the postmen go out on their rounds, so whether it's the postman's fault or someone else's, you should report it so that it can be dealt with. Also, by taking it up with Royal Mail rather than the individual you happen to see on the street, there's less opportunity for one-to-one irritation - you're just an address, rather than the person who approached them on the street. People pay postage costs for your mail to be delivered to you, not to your less helpful neighbour. :)
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    This happens to us sometimes, four roads here have the same name..

Crescent (us)
    Avenue
    Court
    Close

Postie has been doing these roads for years, still gets it wrong sometimes. :rolleyes: What worries me though, is that despite all of the mail which we receive for other people on the other roads (and always go and post to) we have NEVER been given any by the others!

Thankfully I'll be moving to a road with a unique name soon! :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I get letters for a different road entirely. It is up to the post man to deliver the letters correctly. If the letters are not being delivered properly then complain to the Royal Mail.

It is illegal for the person in the other street not to pass the mail on if he knows where you live as it is "preventing mail to be safely delivered".
  • bilijojimbobbilijojimbob Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I get letters for a different road entirely. It is up to the post man to deliver the letters correctly. If the letters are not being delivered properly then complain to the Royal Mail.

It is illegal for the person in the other street not to pass the mail on if he knows where you live as it is "preventing mail to be safely delivered".

Surely if he receives mail not addressed to him , he is well within his rights to 'return to sender' regardless of whether he knows the proper recipient or not?

Sometimes I get other peoples mail .. They only get it back if I like them .. If I dont , it gets 'not at this address' and pushed back through the postbox.
    Forum Member
    Surely if he receives mail not addressed to him , he is well within his rights to 'return to sender' regardless of whether he knows the proper recipient or not?

Sometimes I get other peoples mail .. They only get it back if I like them .. If I dont , it gets 'not at this address' and pushed back through the postbox.

That be a criminal offence too. "Delaying or tampering with mail is a criminal offence".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That be a criminal offence too. "Delaying or tampering with mail is a criminal offence".

*puts awkward head on* :D

I would have thought that the postman was to blame in the first instance , after all it is the Postman who has delayed the mail by delivering it to the wrong address in the first place . I would argue that it wasn't my fault I received someone elses letter , and certainly not my responsibility to make sure that wrongly delivered letter reached it's destination.

If I see the postman out and about in my street and I ask him if he has mail for me , he isn't supposed to hand it over as I could be anyone , he has to post it through the door it's addressed to .

I'll admit Im a bit shitty with post at times .. I wont even sign a recorded delivery till I see the envelope :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it? I thought it was illegal to tamper with someone else's mail, such as open, steal, keep or destroy it. It's perfectly acceptable to mark it 'return to sender - not known at this address' or just 'return to sender'. The Royal Mail website says as much:
    • There may have been a previous occupant at the address who has not redirected their mail or changed their address. By law we have to deliver the mail to the stated address [/B](not the named person). You can, however, mark the item ‘Return to sender’ and put it into a postbox
    • If mail is not addressed to your property but is being delivered to you, and if it is convenient, please help us by popping it in the correct letterbox. If this happens frequently, please let us know and we will try to resolve it
    • Alternatively, you can re-post the item in a post box, or give it to your postman
    • If you are a business, we can send out a postman to collect wrongly delivered bags of mail.
    and
    Your mail is correctly addressed, but sent to the wrong address

If your mail is correctly addressed but is being delivered to one of your neighbours instead, please let us know and we will ensure your local delivery office is told about the problem.

Wouldn't it say so if you had a legal obligation to pass mail on that came to you in error, or if it was illegal not to pass on mail if you know where the person lives? Can you tell me where you heard that? I'm not having a go at you - I'm genuinely interested. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was the OP, I'd bundle all the mail for someone else up and take it to the local sorting office. Make your complaint there to start with as they are the ones that sort the mail for the posties in the first place. Not sure about other places, but our mail is dropped at sites throughout the postwoman's round, so that she isn't carrying all the mail in one go.
    Forum Member
    Is it? I thought it was illegal to tamper with someone else's mail, such as open, steal, keep or destroy it. It's perfectly acceptable to mark it 'return to sender - not known at this address' or just 'return to sender'. The Royal Mail website says as much:
    • There may have been a previous occupant at the address who has not redirected their mail or changed their address. By law we have to deliver the mail to the stated address [/b](not the named person). You can, however, mark the item ‘Return to sender’ and put it into a postbox
    • If mail is not addressed to your property but is being delivered to you, and if it is convenient, please help us by popping it in the correct letterbox. If this happens frequently, please let us know and we will try to resolve it
    • Alternatively, you can re-post the item in a post box, or give it to your postman
    • If you are a business, we can send out a postman to collect wrongly delivered bags of mail.
    and
    Your mail is correctly addressed, but sent to the wrong address

If your mail is correctly addressed but is being delivered to one of your neighbours instead, please let us know and we will ensure your local delivery office is told about the problem.

Wouldn't it say so if you had a legal obligation to pass mail on that came to you in error? Can you tell me where you heard that? I'm not having a go at you - I'm genuinely interested. :)

I was told that you were not allowed to knowingly delay,open or tamper with the safe delivery of the Royal Mail.

I was also told not to stick the Queen's Head upside down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told that you were not allowed to knowingly delay,open or tamper with the safe delivery of the Royal Mail.

I was also told not to stick the Queen's Head upside down.
    That's not quite the same as it being illegal not to pass the mail on though, is it? Someone not taking mail round to someone else's home because they're fed up with doing it, forget or simply can't be bothered isn't unreasonably delaying or tampering with the mail that's already been delivered to the incorrect address, if they decide instead to give it to the postman, or remember to put it in the post box next time they go past one. Even the Royal Mail say "if it is convenient, please help us by popping it in the correct letterbox", so there's no obligation to do it or do it with any kind of alacrity. It doesn't happen so much now I've moved, but at my old address I'd often get other people's mail - sometimes I'd take it round, sometimes I'd post it & sometimes I'd forget about it for weeks on end before finally getting round to it. It's not intentional or deliberate, just the way life goes when you've got other things to think about. As for sticking the stamp the correct way up, that's just a matter of common sense, since doing it the correct way makes it easier for the eye or a machine to ascertain that the correct postage has been paid. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was the OP, I'd bundle all the mail for someone else up and take it to the local sorting office. Make your complaint there to start with as they are the ones that sort the mail for the posties in the first place. Not sure about other places, but our mail is dropped at sites throughout the postwoman's round, so that she isn't carrying all the mail in one go.

Aye, that's right , it's put into those grey metal boxes, when the postie has finished on area, they just pick up the new bag and carry on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think technically you can still get intro trouble for sticking the Queens Head stamps upside down , but with things the way they are these days , no-one really cares anymore :(

I always stick my stamps on properly anyway ..

who saves unfranked stamps and gets the pritt stick out to re-use them? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who saves unfranked stamps and gets the pritt stick out to re-use them? :D
    I do, or pass them on to charities. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about other places, but our mail is dropped at sites throughout the postwoman's round, so that she isn't carrying all the mail in one go.

Yes, due to posties having to deliver around 6 or 7 bags of mail per day their bags are dropped off for them at strategic points on their round by the postal van. Most of the time their bags are put in those box things for them. However any person can nominate their house or garden shed or greenhouse or whatever as a drop off point for mail so the posties can pick it up on their way round.

I believe you receive around £25 per year for offering this service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f@ithful wrote: »
    Yes, due to posties having to deliver around 6 or 7 bags of mail per day their bags are dropped off for them at strategic points on their round by the postal van. Most of the time their bags are put in those box things for them. However any person can nominate their house or garden shed or greenhouse or whatever as a drop off point for mail so the posties can pick it up on their way round.

I believe you receive around £25 per year for offering this service.

£25 :eek:

thats stingy.

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    £25 :eek:

thats stingy.

:p

I actally think it is paid in stamps as well (not sure). Corner shops sometimes act as drop off points.

Years ago I used to pick up one of my bags from this old lady's garden shed (I had my own key) and when it was raining I used to have 10 mins in there to have a ciggy and she sometimes left me a sandwich or some biscuits.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    This has started happening to us a lot lately (after some new houses were built next to us), we were better off before we got house numbers, (we're on a country lane, and only got numbers 20yrs ago!) so I still give out our house name to everyone. Hopefully this stops our mail going astray.

If you can think of a house name then I'd put that on your address (The Old Rectory :D:D like Jack& Vera!), make sure the bank, utilities, etc all have it. Because it's the first line of your address it may help the postie reduce his errors. I order stuff from Play, Amazon etc and worry about it going to the wrong place, so I make sure our house name is always on the top line. Touch wood it always arrives safely. But my neighbour with the same house number (slightly different name road) has had her parcels sent to us.

Sometimes I send the misdelivered post back to the sender, sometimes I take it to the other house myself. Quite often I call Royal Mail and complain. I make sure i get the reference numbers and so on.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One point here I'm not sure that has been answered. Whether or not someone reposts, delivers etc misdirected post is one thing but what if, as the OP suggests, the incorrect recipient is just binning the mail?

If I get someone's else's post do I ave an obligation to do something with it or can I bin it? I wouldn't but the OP suggests the party in this case may be doing so, so is that an offence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    One point here I'm not sure that has been answered. Whether or not someone reposts, delivers etc misdirected post is one thing but what if, as the OP suggests, the incorrect recipient is just binning the mail?

If I get someone's else's post do I ave an obligation to do something with it or can I bin it? I wouldn't but the OP suggests the party in this case may be doing so, so is that an offence?

The correct procedure is to put it straight back in the system.

ie: Write across the front, "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS or DELIVERED TO WRONG ADDRESS" and put it back into a postbox. Or give it back to the postie.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f@ithful wrote: »
    The correct procedure is to put it straight back in the system.

ie: Write across the front, "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS" and put it back into a postbox. Or give it back to the postie.

I know and do this myself regularly but is it an actual obligation to do so? Is the person binning it committing any offence?