Wireless HDMI

Has anyone had any positive experience of Wireless HDMI products like the ATEN VE809, I'm considering getting something, but I'm a little concerned with all the asterisks in the instructions regarding wall thickness etc.?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    how is your signal from your router to each room ?

have you got a 300 + wireless speeds ?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I've not looked at them for a couple of years but I have never seen them work well. even in within line of sight.
  • pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how is your signal from your router to each room ?

have you got a 300 + wireless speeds ?

Never checked the speed of the wireless, but I do know that the internet connection to the Sky box that I want to connect to, is via Netgear homeplugs at 200Mbps max!
    Forum Member
    Another thread diverted by the home plug spammers.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Another thread diverted by the home plug spammers.

Not 'spammers' plural, only the usual one posting his normal incorrect information - who still has never admitted to his agenda on his unwarranted attacks of Homeplugs?.

Interesting he's now given up posting links to official sites (OFCOM and such), as they all proved him wrong (presumably he had never read them,? and hoped others wouldn't either), and instead posts to a suitably anti-Homeplug private site full of the misinformation he loves so much :D
    Forum Member
    Physicist here.

I get no interference from my 200Mb home plugs because nothing else operates in that frequency range. so i doubt my neighbours do.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The info on Homeplugs is quite correct. Why would anyone be against Homeplugs (and similar tech) for no good reason?
    I've had two instances of first-hand experience with these damned things and they are real radio-killers.
    A neighbour just along the road got a pair of these things for Christmas a few years ago. I only learned about it when I went into my radio room and started listening around as usual. To my horror, the HF bands above about 4MHz and all the way up to 50 MHz were badly affected. In some bands, the screeching noise was so strong that nothing else was audible. This went on for days until I tracked it down, luckily to a house where I know the chap and I invited him into my house to hear what his devices were doing to my hobby. He was horrified and stopped using them.
    Second case is still ongoing, luckily they only plug them in when they wish to use them.

Ramming high levels of digital info along unscreened, unbalanced cables that were never intended for anything except 50Hz was always going to cause trouble.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had any positive experience of Wireless HDMI products like the ATEN VE809, I'm considering getting something, but I'm a little concerned with all the asterisks in the instructions regarding wall thickness etc.?

It's a shame this thread has become so derailed as I too would really like to hear peoples opinions on these devices (HDMI video senders NOT homeplugs). I know early examples were intended only for use in the same room, which surely defeats the object :confused: as if it's in the same room one can easily run cable anyway.

But the devices do seem to have evolved with devices like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390659464991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661 that actually look just like a modern video sender but finally with HDMI connectivity. They do attract a premium though, even on eBay that can fetch £70+ :eek: but would be really great to be able to watch my VM Tivo in a second location with no loss in quality...

So anyone actually used a HD videosender?
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    It's a shame this thread has become so derailed as I too would really like to hear peoples opinions on these devices (HDMI video senders NOT homeplugs). I know early examples were intended only for use in the same room, which surely defeats the object :confused: as if it's in the same room one can easily run cable anyway.

But the devices do seem to have evolved with devices like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390659464991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661 that actually look just like a modern video sender but finally with HDMI connectivity. They do attract a premium though, even on eBay that can fetch £70+ :eek: but would be really great to be able to watch my VM Tivo in a second location with no loss in quality...

So anyone actually used a HD videosender?

Well the same room thing is for people with say wall mounted tvs that have a plug on the wall but no easy way of running an hdmi.

the only thing i can say is i tried one a couple of years ago and it didn't work at any distance.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    There are plenty of things in that frequency range, 2 to 30MHz. Maybe you are not using them, your neighbours may well be (trying) to however.

like what?
    Forum Member
    like what?

Like radio amateurs :p

As the official links that Winston has posted before confirm there have been only a tiny number of complaints, all (as far as the sites show) from radio amateurs.

It's a far cry from Winston's claims that it produces widespread interference to all your neighbours.
    Forum Member
    Like radio amateurs :p

As the official links that Winston has posted before confirm there have been only a tiny number of complaints, all (as far as the sites show) from radio amateurs.

It's a far cry from Winston's claims that it produces widespread interference to all your neighbours.

Ahh my neighbours don't use ham radio because it's 2013 and they have the internet instead.
    Forum Member
    Ahh my neighbours don't use ham radio because it's 2013 and they have the internet instead.

Ouch!! :p
    Forum Member
    i have no wish to mock someone's hobby. i'm very much live and let live. but i do think the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

it can not be that amateur radio can expect to have that bandwidth forever. it is a finite resource and has to be portioned where it will be of the most use.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Trans Atlantic air traffic control, marine communications, broadcasting, emergency frequencies, and yes some amateur radio. However home plug manufacturers notch out amateur frequencies because they know their products cause interference and they also know radio amateurs, with the notable exception of G8MMV, understand the issues and would be the first to complain.

Also read Andy2 post no 10.

Perhaps you noticed he's a radio amateur?, so one of the small number of such who have suffered interference.

Perhaps you also might have noticed (but presumably completely ignored as usual) that none of your other supposed 'sufferers' are listed as suffering from any such problems.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    there have been only a tiny number of complaints, all (as far as the sites show) from radio amateurs.
    Which is consistent with the hypothesis that many non-hams may be suffering interference but do not have the technical knowledge or equipment to confirm or even suspect these devices are the problem and may be pursuing feral waterfowl instead.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Which is consistent with the hypothesis that many non-hams may be suffering interference but do not have the technical knowledge or equipment to confirm or even suspect these devices are the problem and may be pursuing feral waterfowl instead.

That people are not reporting interference is consistent with there being interference. As would be them reporting interference.

You could use that logic to rationalize anything. Aliens maybe.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    But there is the rub. People *are* reporting problems which may be considered symptiomatic of interference. Only they a reporting them by asking around on forums such as here rather than going through the formal procedure (which has recently been removed in any case).

As it stands we have no real way of knowing for sure. But we know the authorities would rather stick their finger in their ears than listen to what concerns are being expressed and to gather evidence one way or another.