Orange/EE BB - Slow + Incorrect post code location

Hi All,

1st time poster so I hope I don’t do anything wrong!

I have a friend who lives in the same new build estate as me who discovered that what ever postcode system they use to allocate broadband speeds, has our postcodes in the wrong place. He is with Talk Talk and on their user forums he posted some info from his router and his attenuation and they rectified the problem. His BB went from around 2MB to 4MB. I have tried speaking to Orange on the phone and also sent an email which hasn’t been responded to and was looking to try and get some help.

If I remember rightly my friend used this calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php and said my downstream
attenuation was 41.3 and I should get between 6MB and 8MB. Which is a massive difference to the 1.5/2.0MB we struggle to get at the moment?

Any help/advice/suggestions/next steps would be appreciated - Andrew

Comments

• EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ADSL broadband speeds aren't allocated by postcode.

The speed depends on the length of cable between you and your local exchange.

If you post the details from your router's stats page back here then we may be able to see if your connection is capable of a higher connection speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi Earake, thanks for replying

I hope I this is what you are after its all new to me :)

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    WAN PPPoA 658227 705576 0 217 2786 82:18:07
    LAN 10M/100M 63742 2355 0 45 0 98:08:44
    WLAN 54M/65M/150M 1018177 966190 0 3393 337 94:13:22

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 2270 Kbps 1132 Kbps
    Line Attenuation 41.4 dB 24.6 dB
    Noise Margin 10.3 dB 5.5 dB

Earake wrote: »
    ADSL broadband speeds aren't allocated by postcode.

The speed depends on the length of cable between you and your local exchange.

If you post the details from your router's stats page back here then we may be able to see if your connection is capable of a higher connection speed.
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an1dr2ew3 wrote: »
    Noise Margin 10.3 dB 5.5 dB

Looks like a noisy line. With an attenuation of 41.4dB the router should be syncing at at least 8000kbps.

If you have an NTE5 main BT socket like this :

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

then remove the lower half and plug just the filter and router into the test socket inside the wall box, wait for at least an hour then check the stats again and post them back here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks Earake, I do have an NTE5 main BT socket I will post back tonight when I get back from work.