Why was the shot school girl operated on in the UK?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I thought the family had said they don't want asylum , but to go back to Pakistan?

Or did I dream that?
    stoatie wrote: »
    I have no idea. If people are moaning about the possibility when it's something that's not even been asked for, then that's even more mean-spirited.

The girls father was given a diplomatic job by the Pakistani government. This allows him and his family to legally stay here for the duration of that post. 3 or maybe 5 years. It was reported that al financing for the families stay is being met by their home country, Pakistan. Which sort of puts paid to the silly immigrant stories being bandied about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/03/malala-yousafzai-father-given-diplomatic-role-uk
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Oh great more drain on our resources, sure give her treatment if need be, but don't see why we should keep on funding immigrants of corrupt governments.

there`s something really wrong with you if you begrudge that child, or any other in asimilar situation, help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh great more drain on our resources, sure give her treatment if need be, but don't see why we should keep on funding immigrants of corrupt governments.
    Muze wrote: »
    Thought it was quite amusing when on the news she only thanked those who prayed for her, never mind the NHS, charities, surgeons and well wishers etc :rolleyes:

Can't be that smart if she still thinks her 'God' is that great.

Only on DS will you find saving and protecting the life of an 15 year old who stands up to terrorists a "drain on resources." Followed up swiftly by mocking the intelligence of a girl who speaks eloquently and acts bravely in the face of serious threats on her life.

Would it have been nice if she thanked the NHS, surgeons etc? Yes. Will I insult her intelligence for having a religion?, No.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    Thought it was quite amusing when on the news she only thanked those who prayed for her, never mind the NHS, charities, surgeons and well wishers etc :rolleyes:

She sounded articulate and very smart to me. It's not surprising that her outlook will reflect her upbringing which has probably been very religious.

I'd like to hear more from her after she's spent a few years in this country. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good PR. She had written a BBC blog for a year or 2.

She was selected. The other 2 girls that were with her and also shot werent afforded the same privileges.

UK knows what its doing.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, so next time people are knocking the NHS just remember that this country does actually possess world-class medical talent and facilities. Malala could have been sent anywhere but she came to Britain for expert treatment.

Mind you, I saw an article in today's paper where she's thanking God and people's prayers for making her better. She really ought to be thanking the doctors and nurses who have saved her life. Still, she is just a child. With brain damage.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if her treatment is funded by the NHS?

I know that for a lot of cases of non-UK residents being treated at British hospitals, an operation/treatment is paid for either by charity or by that person's government.

Very often a surgeon will work pro bono in a case like this .
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Mind you, I saw an article in today's paper where she's thanking God and people's prayers for making her better. She really ought to be thanking the doctors and nurses who have saved her life. Still, she is just a child. With brain damage.
    According to the article the statement was released before the operation. I would've thought it'd be more appropriate to wait until after the operation to thank the doctors.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Good PR. She had written a BBC blog for a year or 2.

She was selected. The other 2 girls that were with her and also shot werent afforded the same privileges.

UK knows what its doing.
    I was beginning to think I was the only cynic. I'm glad she has been treated but I'm under no illusions than the powers that be orchestrated this for her benefit as opposed to a shrewd political move.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very often a surgeon will work pro bono in a case like this .

True, but it's not just the surgeon's fee is it? The cost of everything else would run to thousands. The surgeon's fee would probably not even make up 10% of the whole cost!

Still, my question has been answered - the Pakistani government is meeting the costs. I suspected as such but wasn't sure. Was interested is all.
  • richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to her I say. A truly inspirational girl and whether or not Pakistan had paid for her treatment etc I am glad that she could come over here for treatment. I'd rather have her in this country than the knuckle headed oafs that have been posting some rather obscene comments about her on certain social networking sites (and a few here by the looks of it!)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    Good luck to her I say. A truly inspirational girl and whether or not Pakistan had paid for her treatment etc I am glad that she could come over here for treatment. I'd rather have her in this country than the knuckle headed oafs that have been posting some rather obscene comments about her on certain social networking sites (and a few here by the looks of it!)

I'veen those comments to. Some people don't deserve the title of human being
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I'veen those comments to. Some people don't deserve the title of human being

I don't give them that respect anyway!
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. A small mention for the taxpayer would be nice. Then again, we already help pay for her country's nuclear and space programs...
    Forum Member
    Seaborn wrote: »
    Only on DS will you find saving and protecting the life of an 15 year old who stands up to terrorists a "drain on resources." Followed up swiftly by mocking the intelligence of a girl who speaks eloquently and acts bravely in the face of serious threats on her life.

Would it have been nice if she thanked the NHS, surgeons etc? Yes. Will I insult her intelligence for having a religion?, No.

it`s a fair bet that should the same people ever be in anything like that situation they`d do the best for their child too.
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    Indeed. A small mention for the taxpayer would be nice. Then again, we already help pay for her country's nuclear and space programs...
    The Pakistani government has been paying for the "treatment and maintenance" of Malala's family since she arrived in the UK.

hope this helps.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/03/malala-yousafzai-father-given-diplomatic-role-uk
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good she has been treated here and it's very good the Pakistan goverment has been so supportive. That's important.

But, she needs to go home eventually.
    Nothing to do with immigration, but if a girl like this can be forced to leave her country by terror, then ultimately the terrorists have won.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't know the meaning of "mean-spirited," just read some of these posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the posts here beggar belief! We have some posters on DS that constantly bang on about how Muslims don't stand up to the Taliban etc yet when one does and gets seriously injured they begrudge her the treatment she needs and whinge on about people being bumped down the waiting list.

My step mother was due to go into hospital the other day but the operation was postponed because someone had been admitted with a broken back and needed treatment urgently. Did she moan because teh operation she really needs had been put back? No, she recognised that the other person was in more need and was happy to have to wait a bit longer even though she is in a lot of pain. I also know that if Malala had been the person that had needed her place in the operating theatre she would have been just as happy to give way, in fact would have been regardless of who that person was or where they came from.

Who is paying for the treatment and support that is being given to Malala or her family is not something that bothers me. If we (as in UK taxpayers) were picking up the bill I would say good as we can afford to help and it is our duty to help those that are in need.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Indeed. A small mention for the taxpayer would be nice.

What's she got to thank the taxpayer for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This girl is truly an inspiration and came across as very articulate and intelligent for a 15 year old and it is amazing that she will continue her fight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you mind answering the question I asked you in #52 please?

I doubt you'll get a decent response here. Some people seem so blinded by "she's a foreigner, she has a different colour skin, she is a Muslim" that they are unable to see the facts about her treatment.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    This.

Will she be sent back, however, is another question.
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Why should she be, so she can be shot again?

She's stated that she wishes to go back to continue her campaign for all girls to be given the same full education opportunities as boys. She's quite emphatic in her views on this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am Proud that Btitain's NHS was able to help this young hero.

took the words right out of my mouth. I was just going to say that. :)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The surgical expertise and specialty required was available in this country. Simple.

Yes, we have so many shooting injuries, here in the UK, our medical staff are second to none in performing surgery.

:rolleyes: