How do you save apps to SD card on Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7"?

Rebel StimsonRebel Stimson Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
My daughter has a 32gb memory card in her Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7" but is unable to save any of her apps to it. How does she save apps to it?

Comments

• rockin_plumberrockin_plumber Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I would have thought that you would need the apps on the device, and use the SD card for music, pictures and movies.

Only what I found out when I was considering one.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Setting’s > Storage > Default storage location, you can select SD card here, well you can on some ICS devices but not sure if you can on all.

Try App2SD if the above does not work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I have been searching around about this over the weekend and from what I can see, it isn't possible, certainly with the version of the operating system installed.

And although the Samsung has 8GB of internal storage, getting on for 4GB of that is used up before we get our hands on it.

It would seem that the SD card is for photos, movies, etc. and the internal storage for downloaded apps. Once that is used up then it's a matter of deleting apps to make way for new ones. My son is devastated he can't install the Asphalt 7 racing game (getting on for 2GB) as he already has another racing game on there that takes up over a Gig and so there just isn't the room.

I'd love to be proved wrong!
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    juststeve wrote: »
    My son is devastated he can't install the Asphalt 7 racing game

Tell him its not the end of the world and to get over his devistation of not being able to install the game.
    Forum Member
    I shall pass the message on - thanks for your useful advice, most helpful. :rolleyes:
  • Rebel StimsonRebel Stimson Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded app2sd and I still can't save apps to the 32gb memory card.
    Forum Member
    On posing the question to Samsung support, this was the response I received:

Moving apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices.

The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space for apps on their own.

Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or storing apps on the external memory.

Any extra data (media, etc.) can be stored on your microSD, so you can store all apps and data to the internal memory, and anything else onto your external storage.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

That reminds me of that old Karl Marx quote: History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce :D
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    In Setting’s > Storage > Default storage location, you can select SD card here, well you can on some ICS devices but not sure if you can on all.

Try App2SD if the above does not work.

I thought that only worked on a rooted device?
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Install " super tool box " app, then every app install it will give the option to transfer to the SD card
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moving apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices.

The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space for apps on their own.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or storing apps on the external memory.

Any extra data (media, etc.) can be stored on your microSD, so you can store all apps and data to the internal memory, and anything else onto your external storage.

Seems like a backward step for no reason.

Thought Google would have better software developers than that.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssr wrote: »
    Install " super tool box " app, then every app install it will give the option to transfer to the SD card
    And in games the majority of the app is data so it should really install the majority of the 2GB on the SD card automatically.

And remove that other game which sounds to be currently 100% internal. It should be backed up at Play anyway.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, seeing as my SE Xperia Arc S is running 4.0.4 and happily runs apps off the SD card.

That said, the phone starts with a pitiful amount of on-board storage anyway, of which 350Mb or so is available for apps, and there are apps that can't be moved to SD, meaning that eventually spare memory gets used up.

I have only a handful of what I would term 'essential' apps and already I'm down to 43Mb spare, and some apps (eg FB, Dropbox) simply won't update unless I free up space, which means deleting essential stuff.

Annoying, to say the least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    ssr wrote: »

This doesn't work on an un-Rooted Galaxy Tab 2.0, there simply is no option to move to SDCard using App2SD in Super Tool Box on the Tab 2.0.
    Is the only solution to Root it? I'd rather not, as it is far more risky and long-winded than Jailbreakig an iOS device.

Shame really as my son loves NOVA 3 on his 8GB Tab 2.0 and it uses up so much storage (nearly a quarter of it!). He has a 32GB SD card with a few movies and mp3s on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsw wrote: »
    ... long-winded than Jailbreakig an iOS device.

Why, can you actually do anything about extra memory for an iDevice?

apps I use actually manage their own data. This means I can simply specify SD card for the often very large data files.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Why, can you actually do anything about extra memory for an iDevice?

apps I use actually manage their own data. This means I can simply specify SD card for the often very large data files.

None of the most popular game apps (NOVA, Rayman, Minecraft, Bad Piggies, Arcane Legends, etc) that my son plays on his Tab 2.0 allow for this.
    I tried rooted his Tab 2.0 back in December. When trying to update the OS I managed to brick it. Thank god Tesco exchanged it for a new one and didn't refer me to Samsung.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too small or lazy to give the option?
    At 40 MB or so each that would only allows for 100 games on a low of 4GB available memory

I get the impression that some developers are ignoring the needs of heavy users.
    I just shove all my open source maps on the SD card so its certainly down to developers what is done/allowed.
    Forum Member
    It's provably down to Samsung wanting to be like Apple and charge extortionate amounts for devices with higher capacity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it doesn't help that even if Apple brought out a new tablet or phone with 4GB, you would still get user after user telling us that 4GB is all they need.

The cloud is slow and often inconvenient.
    Forum Member
    I really don't get why people have to have a sly dig at other users... Why not embrace all technology? I love my iPhone and my Galaxy Tab... Both have some major negatives, but both have equally great positives.
    @ or Android users are ******" in turn are ######.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when was stating a fact about memory sly?
    And Nexus buyers happen to be persuading themselves of the same thing.

FYI your 'easier jailbreaking' is quite different to rooting.
    Android does not ban 3rd party apps so rooting is for deep OS access.

I'm not going to call bringing the IOS jailbreak into an sd card subject sly,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Methinks sly would better apply to much of the media ignoring the GPS that comes standard with both the Wifi Nexus and the Galaxy Tab tablets.

I think they would serve their readers better by not giving only selective info.
  • HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    wsw wrote: »
    This doesn't work on an un-Rooted Galaxy Tab 2.0, there simply is no option to move to SDCard using App2SD in Super Tool Box on the Tab 2.0.
    Is the only solution to Root it? I'd rather not, as it is far more risky and long-winded than Jailbreakig an iOS device.

Shame really as my son loves NOVA 3 on his 8GB Tab 2.0 and it uses up so much storage (nearly a quarter of it!). He has a 32GB SD card with a few movies and mp3s on it.

The new update allows moving apps to SDCard so NOVA 3 is good to go. Why Samsung didn't implement this earlier, I do not know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Which new update is that? An Android update or an update to App2SD? A friend is having this issue with a new Tab3 which I think has the latest OS.
    Forum Member
    Android update will allow this again. The facility to move apps to SD used to be available but disappeared for a while. The latest Android version, which appeared out of the blue on my tablet, allows you to move apps to SD again.