Is Hannah a one trick pony?

Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't like the Skyfall song anyway. I think it's very one dimensional and I didn't understand all the fuss that was made about it at the time, but I'm beginning ot think that Hannah is a bit of a one dimensional singer too. Maybe in a few years she can offer more variation but right now she seems to have only one timbre, one volume, one style, one level of emotional intensity.

Your thoughts?

Is Hannah a bit boring? 137 votes

Yes she is.
59% 81 votes
No she's not.
40% 56 votes

Comments

• Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is fantastic but I can see what OP is saying but love Hannah
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is one of the issues facing programmes like the X Factor, people are relying on these big diva/belter type singers, who may only have one option to offer..

Anything different is weirdly seem as "limited," because that person can't belt out a song..

I think Hannah has a great range and is capable of tackling different types of song..

I do like Skyfall, but thought, if she were to go for a "Bond," songs then there would've been better options.

As it was, I thought it was an uneasy performance and weak in places..

Comments about her being the only person capable of tackling an "Adele," song were, wide of the mark.

I think the problem for Hannah will be trying to convince them that she could try something different..

Like with Sam Bailey, she seems to be on the ballad train and there's no getting off.

Rich.
    x
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think the great soul, jazz and blues divas to whom she wants to be compared had a lot more lightness of touch than she does. They knew when to hold it in and when to blast it out, they knew when to be light and playful and sweet and loving and tender and all the other moods humans are capable of.

Hannah only seems to be able to turn it up to 11, which she can do quite well, but she needs to be able to do more imo.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Hannah isn't perfect I would admit but the Skyfall song was really interesting. She hits the notes. Pitch-wise she's got it. But she's also got a real earthiness, gravel in her voice which she uses quite a lot. She can hold it in and then burst out in the last few lines like in her Beautiful performance. She does do it, but I guess she needs to do it more often to substantiate interest. We didn't have that in the Skyfall performance, so maybe that's why?
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her very much and I think she's super talented. Far more so than anyone else in the competition. However, her emotions can get in the way sometimes, but they are also what makes her special. When she really lets rip and goes for it she's amazing.

I thought the Skyfall performance was good, but she held back at the end. Maybe her voice is suffering and why she looked a bit miserable at the end. She knew she could do it better.

And i would never call her a one trick pony.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her vocals are strong but they lack light and shade. It's not a one-trick thing but without development, she can get very boring very quickly.

On another note, she needs to be more expressive with her eyes because the combination of the fire and her dead eyes this week made her look like a cold-blooded murderer instead of a 17-year old girl living her dream on a TV show.
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she keeps at it I can see her becoming much better in her 20s, but right now she still seems to be learning her trade. The closest thing I can think of to her style in recent years is Amy Winehouse but Amy had a whole lot of living under her belt and you can hear every minute of it when she sings something like Love Is A Losing Game. Hannah's got a lot of work to do on phrasing and timing and nuance and the X-Factor live shows is not the place to do that.

Give her 5 years and the right instincts and she could become really good but right now..... I'm not so sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes. all she does is breathily shout.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah can do upbeat or more soul she just needs to sing less boring ones Adele, Emeli Sande those artists songs are played over and over again I think some people are sick of hearing those songs tbh. She needs to sing more interesting soulful songs or some upbeat songs. She really needs a break from ballads for a week or two.

I reckon Hannah could sing Chaka Khan - I'm every woman for disco week this week a perfect song for her.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Hannah can do upbeat or more soul she just needs to sing less boring ones Adele, Emeli Sande those artists songs are played over and over again. She needs to sing more interesting soulful songs or some upbeat songs. She really needs a break from ballads for a week or two.

I reckon Hannah could sing Chaka Khan - I'm every woman for disco week this week a perfect song for her.

Excellent choice! It's empowering and upbeat.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, she's not remotely a one trick pony. I think that's much more true of others, say Luke or Abi, for example. It's all about song choice. Sharon has virtually cleaned out her category with dreadful, dated song choices from the Butlins back catalogue. The last thing Sam wants to sing is 20 year old Celine Dion lounge songs. Same with Hannah. Nicole needs to give her something contemporary or something from way back with a massive contemporary twist. Hannah has it in her to go all the way. I hope this hasn't dented her confidence.
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19 to each. Very interesting. I personally think she's actually quite versatile.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Hannah needs is to not be so damn forgettable.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll do any song justice. As long as she can shout it.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Exactly, she's completely forgettable and needs to learn to control her voice. My favourite performance of hers has to be Week 1. That song was perfect for her range. But these last two weeks she's been trying too hard to hit notes that are out of her range and I find it really uncomfortable to watch her. She's a great talent but there's still a lot of work to do. :)

It's interesting because there have been many allegations made against Tamera yet she seems to be doing well picking up votes. It just shows that people are really basing it on performance and not character.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they would let her show the fun side to her personality, she needs more upbeat songs, hopefully next week she'll get one.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no love for Bond movies or Adele, so hadn't heard more than fifteen seconds of Skyfall before, but decided to listen to the original version after hearing Hannah's, and found Hannah's the more engaging to put it mildly. It's nonsense to say that she's a mediocre singer of a kind that can easily be found - I've certainly heard nothing resembling her lower register on XF before, or from very many singers anywhere. Nobody shines in every genre, but I think she'll take Disco Week in her stride, which is at quite a remove from the old-school soul singers she was brought up on - I hope and expect she'll eventually gravitate toward a contemporary equivalent of their work, something that will showcase her vocal abilities. One-trick pony, never: I'm not sure there's a contestant this year who's less deserving of that label.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yea, she's boring
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    No.....end of!!

Stupid poll to try to rile up the Hannah fans, but I answered it anyway!!

She has done uptempo...would like to see more soul and rap ala Misha stylee!!! :D:D
  • twsstwss Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    She has a very limited range and uses volume to compensate.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I just wish she'd cheer up. She can really connect with the tear-jerkers and emotional songs (as long as she doesn't burst out crying before the end) but I'm beginning to find everything she does quite depressing.

I thought Sky Fall failed because it was too copycat. It sounded like exactly the same arrangement as the Adele version but wasn't as good as the Adele version (not that I'm a huge fan of the song anyway).

Mind you, Sam Bailey's stuff is often very like the original but it is so good you just don't mind for some reason :)

Edit: I didn't vote as I wanted a "Don't Know" option :D
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when has having a distinct style of performing been a bad thing in the music industry?

Did James Brown do ballads?
    Did Morrissey do thrash metal?
    Did Kurt Cobain do hip hop?
    Did Shane MacGowan do disco?

No........and thank goodness.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Hannah needs is to not be so damn forgettable.

Do you have to be so rude for no reason what so ever?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twss wrote: »
    She has a very limited range and uses volume to compensate.

Wlell you must have been watching a different singer to me then if you think that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Since when has having a distinct style of performing been a bad thing in the music industry?

Did James Brown do ballads?
    Did Morrissey do thrash metal?
    Did Kurt Cobain do hip hop?
    Did Shane MacGowan do disco?

No........and thank goodness.

So very true.