Can you disable the beep sound in bios?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can you disable the beep sound in bios so when you start pc or a laptop you hear single beep sound can be disabled?.

The reason why I ask because when I turn on the computer early morning the beep sound so loud to me!!!.

Thank! :)

Comments

• hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never come across a BIOS setting but you should be able to remove the connector from the motherboard. It will have 2 wires and is probably labelled speaker - more usefully it will be linked to the speaker!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Uri Gellar wrote:
    Can you disable the beep sound in bios so when you start pc or a laptop you hear single beep sound can be disabled?.

The reason why I ask because when I turn on the computer early morning the beep sound so loud to me!!!.

There is a small internal speaker connected to the motherboard via a small cable. You will need to unhook this.

IMO you shouldn't do this, as the single beep is actually present as an indicator that the initial hardware checks have been successful, and the system is safe to boot. If the computer produces an internal fault, the computer will not boot and the speaker will emit a 'beep code', a series of beeps quite like morse code, which tells an engineer the problem.

All PCs have boot noises, x86 systems with BIOS beep codes, Apple Macs with boot noise/chimes of death etc. they are not really for any enjoyment, but an important tool for when a system goes critically wrong.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    All PCs have boot noises, x86 systems with BIOS beep codes, Apple Macs with boot noise/chimes of death etc. they are not really for any enjoyment, but an important tool for when a system goes critically wrong.

Chimes of death? It sounds like something out of the Exorcist. :D
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uri Gellar wrote:

It probably just sound sloud because it is early and quiet outside or you are not yet attuned to the sounds of the day. I find that sounds seem louder in the morning than later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    dslrocks wrote:
    Chimes of death? It sounds like something out of the Exorcist. :D

go to my page http://hollins1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk for a mac boot crash... oh and turn the spound up loud, as the mac always emits "chimes of death" at full volume on internal speakers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably just sound sloud because it is early and quiet outside or you are not yet attuned to the sounds of the day. I find that sounds seem louder in the morning than later.

What I find seems louder early in the morning with a beep every day!!. :o

Thanks for all the replys not worth the effect to unplug the lead then to me if you user every day have the rights to turn off any sound or beeps?!.

I hope microsoft at some stage will get rid of this beep sound have a button on the back of the machine for on or off!!!!. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Uri Gellar wrote:

Thanks for all the replys not worth the effect to unplug the lead then to me if you user every day have the rights to turn off any sound or beeps?!.

I hope microsoft at some stage will get rid of this beep sound have a button on the back of the machine for on or off!!!!. :)

The beep in in the motherboards bios, and has nothing to do with Microsoft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    why not stifle the speaker then , try covering it with a piece of tape or get a quieter speaker , easy enough i would have thought :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I would never get rid of the speaker on a pc tbh, it tells you a lot about the state of the machine especially as a system builder (like when idiot here forgets to install the ram or even stupider the cpu itself...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never get rid of the speaker on a pc tbh, it tells you a lot about the state of the machine especially as a system builder (like when idiot here forgets to install the ram or even stupider the cpu itself...)

Just out of intrest how would you know this will they be different beeps?. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uri Gellar wrote:
    Just out of intrest how would you know this will they be different beeps?. :o

Yes - you'll often find the beep codes in your motherboards handbook.

Some of them can be quite instructive.

A single beep usually means "all's well". Others may have gaps - such as beep beep space beep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your computer is running fine just now then simply unplug the speaker. Mine is unplugged. If I ever got to the stage of suspecting something failing other than the op system then I can always plug it in again to hear how many beeps I get.
    Incidentally the reason mine got unplugged was that everytime I tried to sneak the computer on without my little boy annoying me he would hear the beep and come running over. Now he's got clever and hears the fan but best not to disable that ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uri Gellar wrote:

Why do you want the on/off button at the back of the machine? :confused: This is what we used to have 15+ years ago and it was a pain having to reach round the back all the time.
  • MisanthropeMisanthrope Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    I think Uri means a switch to turn the beeping bios off at the back of the machine :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Uri means a switch to turn the beeping bios off at the back of the machine :)
    Oh, right. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suppose you could always break into one of the cables and put a switch on it yourself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to switch on the PC then wander off while it boots up, and hear the beep while I'm walking away. A couple of times there have been problems, like a failed battery, so there's a "bee-bee-beep". Then you know to fix it right away instead of coming back 5 mins later just to find a BIOS error message. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CS Aye wrote:
    I tend to switch on the PC then wander off while it boots up, and hear the beep while I'm walking away. A couple of times there have been problems, like a failed battery, so there's a "bee-bee-beep". Then you know to fix it right away instead of coming back 5 mins later just to find a BIOS error message. :)
    Me too. There's no way I'd sit around waiting for it to boot up. I go off and make a coffee in the meantime. :)
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    My case has not got an inbuilt speaker. My graphics card has though, most bizarre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    yes.... unplug the speaker from the motherboard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My asus board has some woman's voice thats tells me everything is ok on boot. It is linked to my external speakers though rather than an internal one (which I haven't seen on a new case for years). Apparently you can change the messages to whatever you want but I have never gotten around to trying.

It isn't the most reliable thing mind. Normally she says the computer has passed tests and that it is now booting from operating system, but every now and again she claims that the system has failed due to CPU overclocking (even though it cleary hasn't as it happily boots into windows and there is no problem whatsoever).

Better than the random beeps though as you don't need to know the various combinations.
  • Steve PearceSteve Pearce Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uri Gellar wrote:

Not sure if you are serious but what does this have to do with Microsoft? They don't make motherboards/BIOS's as far as I know.