JK Rowling to write new Harry Potter inspired film series

ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.. could she pull it off again? I wonder if the book/films will be aimed at a slightly older audience than the HP books, to try and attract her original HP fan base?
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    WOW. I never expected that

How exciting :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Wow. I was worried it was gonna be Beadle the Bard related, then. I hope she does pull it off, because that could be brilliant if it works!
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    If Hogwarts is not in it then I will hope it fails.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was just reading about this. Sounds interesting.

I remember a fly on the wall documentary about her which finished with her completing The Deathly Hallows.

Even though she said that was it, you could tell it wasn't and that she would be lured back into the wizarding world.

Hope they get David Yates onboard.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Apparently it is set in New York City and not Hogwarts so my expectations are low.

I preferred British to American.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be interesting to explore the other aspects, places etc.

Maybe we will get to see the Salem Witches Institute. :)

I hope they bring back David Yates as well.
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Can - Not - Wait :d
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very unexpected but very welcome news.
    In fact I imagine this is the best news I'll hear this year!!

As a huge Harry Potter fan it's always interesting to learn more about the Wizarding World as JK tells it, so this film will be very interesting and exciting
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    Not surprised to find Hollywood returning to the Potter well, frankly. Only when it runs dry...

Mind you, is this a first?

A fictitious creation from within another fictitious creation (here a book within a book) being given the same sort of treatment?

Can't think of it happening before.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keep on milking that cash cow JK.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »

Maybe she will make a donation to Comic Relief in the same way the book does for every copy sold.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why shouldn't she? People want it...
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone should make a really good hp game next gen. One where you could do not just, 5 or 10 spells at certain times, but hundreds at almost any time. I think that should be the future for video games.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quelle surprise, when bereft of ideas rehash.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unexpected but very welcome news.
    In fact I imagine this is the best news I'll hear this year!!

As a huge Harry Potter fan it's always interesting to learn more about the Wizarding World as JK tells it, so this film will be very interesting and exciting
    Agreed :D I'm wondering what to expect..
    :rolleyes: She's not doing it for money. She's doing it for the HP fandom who have desperately wanted more HP stories etc.
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Why shouldn't she? People want it...
    Exactly, the HP fandom still want more :p
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    There's still money to be made from this franchise. It makes perfect sense to keep it going. It's a good idea though to leave the main storyline and expand the series beyond Harry/Ron/Hermione etc...
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mind you, is this a first?

A fictitious creation from within another fictitious creation (here a book within a book) being given the same sort of treatment?

Can't think of it happening before.
    I think these questions perhaps give this new franchise more credit for originality than it deserves. All Rowling's done is taken one aspect of an existing film (or series of films in this case) to base another series of films around. In other words, it's a spin-off, no more, no less. The specific device - i.e. a book - may be a first, but it's really no different to using an existing character, location or sub-plot around which to base a new film, e.g. Puss In Boots, the Ewok films and American Pie: Band Camp.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    In other words, it's a spin-off, no more, no less. The specific device - i.e. a book - may be a first, but it's really no different to using an existing character, location or sub-plot around which to base a new film, e.g. Puss In Boots, the Ewok films and American Pie: Band Camp.
    Not quite.

Think of Cheers/Frasier. Frasier was a spin-off, yet his character existed in Cheers at the same level as the others did. If Frasier has been a fictitious sitcom within Cheers that the other Cheers members watched/discussed, then that would be much more like what's happening with Potter.

Unless they choose to use a twin narrative/book-ending technique, wherein the fictitious story being told is visualised for the viewers benefit, like The Princess Bride.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Interesting.. could she pull it off again? I wonder if the book/films will be aimed at a slightly older audience than the HP books, to try and attract her original HP fan base?

After she failed get the same acclaim for her rather feeble attempt at adult literature, she's obviously returning to what she knows best. Can't blame the woman for that.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite.

Think of Cheers/Frasier. Frasier was a spin-off, yet his character existed in Cheers at the same level as the others did. If Frasier has been a fictitious sitcom within Cheers that the other Cheers members watched/discussed, then that would be much more like what's happening with Potter.

Unless they choose to use a twin narrative/book-ending technique, wherein the fictitious story being told is visualised for the viewers benefit, like The Princess Bride.
    Ah, this is probably where my relative lack of knowledge about all things Potter lets me down. I've read the books (once) and watched the first three films so I know the broad themes, but I don't recall the little details. So is Fantastic Beasts fictional even within the context of the Potter universe? What I mean is, is it their equivalent of what a book about, say, Greek mythological creatures, is to us? I assumed it was their universe's equivalent of an Attenborough style wildlife book or something. If the former, I suppose you could say Rowling's creating a meta-Potterverse.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite.

Newt Scamander is a real historical figure within the Potter universe. Where did you get the idea that he was fictional?

Maybe you're getting mixed up with Tales of Beedle the Bard which is fictional within the Potter Universe.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After she failed get the same acclaim for her rather feeble attempt at adult literature, she's obviously returning to what she knows best. Can't blame the woman for that.

Actually The Cuckoo's Calling was successful and the second book in that series is due out next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Good news for a HP fan like myself !!... Hope it turns out alright.. :)
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The reaction to The Casual Vacancy may have been mixed but The Cuckoo's Calling was met with many a great review.

I am rather surprised at how quickly she's returning to the Potterverse though, although admittedly it has been six years since she directly contributed to it. Plus writing a screenplay is something completely different to anything she has ever done or achieved before, even if said film is sticking to familiar territory. And as a Potter fan I'm looking forward to the results.