Raspberry Pi - Released February 29th.

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    ....and the add-on RAM for the ZX81 took so long I went and bought a rival's product...
    I went as far as building my own with a couple of 2114 1k chips doubling the RAM for me while I was waiting!
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a deja vu for me, all this.
    Tried to buy a BBC Micro when they were launched in 1981, curiously also called the Model A and Model B.
    It arrived six months later.

I'm sure the model names are deliberate.

Okay, I'm interested in the project because of the people involved, and think the aim to get school kids programming is admirable... but (didn't see that coming, did you?) aren't PCs already pretty ubiquitous now?

I sorta want to pick one up because I'm having a nostalgia rush, remembering programming simple games in BBC Basic/6502 assembler a million years ago. I also used to use a compiled Basic on the Atari ST... I want to say GF Basic but can't remember for sure.

But in the last twenty years I've not felt the urge to program anything, though there are plenty of free tools out there.

I did recently try out Codecademy ( http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0 ) which takes you through structured exercises to teach the rudiments of javascript programming - kinda fun but you really only scratch the surface.

Hand a kid a pc on a card, that needs to have monitor, mouse, keyboard, storage etc etc plugged into it to work and I wonder how many will even bother to plug it all together.

Now, get a monitor manufacturer to build it into their screens and add a bluetooth adaptor - for maybe twenty quid on the price of a screen you have a computer you only need to add a BT KB + M to get working. That I'd like to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I would only buy one if it was called an Apple Pi and cost 100 times as much with half the technical specs."

PeteSaman wins the Grauniad comment thread.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's no good, I still can't see what this does (programming wise) that you can't do by calling up Windows BASIC on your PC and getting writing straight away!:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no good, I still can't see what this does (programming wise) that you can't do by calling up Windows BASIC on your PC and getting writing straight away!:confused:

Windows hasn't come with BASIC pre-installed for around a decade or so. Also, if you want to raise a new generation of coders, they won't be using BASIC.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you just want to write basic programs then this board will do exactly the same as a pc can do but if you want to do more advanced stuff like controlling external hardware then the Rasbery Pi comes with GPIO ports, UART, I²C bus and an SPI bus which you don't find on a standard PC.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, I don't know about that! I was a great Sinclair fan in the late 60's and 70's and some of the stuff they advertised took ages to appear. I waited weeks for my Project 60 stereo tuner, and the add-on RAM for the ZX81 took so long I went and bought a rival's product.
    The Sinclair QL computer of the 80's was delayed and delayed while they worked out how to fit extra ROM, despite the QL being advertised for months previously.
    I was just lucky then, or the delay pales to insignificance compared to the problems at Acorn. Perhaps there just wasn't the same level of demand for ZX80 kits.
    albertd wrote: »
    I went as far as building my own with a couple of 2114 1k chips doubling the RAM for me while I was waiting!
    First memory upgrade I did was 1k to double the memory on a Tangerine Microtan. Cost me £18! :eek:
    dadioflex wrote: »
    I sorta want to pick one up because I'm having a nostalgia rush, remembering programming simple games in BBC Basic/6502 assembler a million years ago. I also used to use a compiled Basic on the Atari ST... I want to say GF Basic but can't remember for sure.
    I can't remember either. The OS was 'TOS' though - Tramiel Operating System. You'd probably like Python. It's a very high level script language (so no compiling necessary) and seems very well thought out. It's even coming to Android soon (if not already there).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't GF Basic it was GFA Basic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFA_BASIC

I couldn't let it lie - had to ferret out the name.

A buddy from way back wrote a 2 user MUD using it - one person could play on the keyboard locally, with another player connecting over the telephone. Back then that was like science fiction to me - mind blowing.

I actually bought a book on python programming ages ago but it's gathering dust somewhere... I see there's a whole series of Youtube videos giving a tutorial on using the Pi to programme with Python.

It's just, these days... who has the time? Exercising my brain would cut into my reality television viewing.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    So will schools have to invest in all new HDMI monitors for this to take off?
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    It also has composite RCA video out. A cheap set of video/audio leads will do it.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »

They could use DVI adapters.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Now if this takes off big time I'm half expecting MS and Apple to go directly after making Linux go underground.

I'm a bit lost :confused:
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to cost up this device, plus case, plus keyboard, plus monitor, plus hard disc, compared to the price of a netbook or a small laptop.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to cost up this device, plus case, plus keyboard, plus monitor, plus hard disc, compared to the price of a netbook or a small laptop.

Pi:- £22
    Keyboard:- £5
    Mouse £5
    No hard drive so use SD Card:- £10 for a decent size.
    Most people either have an HD telly or a monitor so no cost there.

Total:- £42.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Pi:- £22
    Keyboard:- £5
    Mouse £5
    No hard drive so use SD Card:- £10 for a decent size.
    Most people either have an HD telly or a monitor so no cost there.

Total:- £42.

Most people also have a PC or laptop, making their cost absolutely nothing.

Again, I'm not knocking the device but I just don't see the advantage this has either in schools or at home. Now if I was making industrial/embedded computers I'd probably be crapping myself.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I was thinking the same. They will be insisting on massive discounts on Beagleboards etc.

I can really see many companies ordering several hundred of these at a time so lets hope Pi allocate 50% of production for UK sale.

The government is clueless but if they had got their act together this should be quickly chosen as standard issue to schools. Or other countries may get their orders in first!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit lost :confused:

I dont get it either.
  • RogRog Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who don't get it - as I mentioned before, stick it under the telly and use it as a media center, or at least for live streaming. Far cheaper than any alternatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rog wrote: »
    For those who don't get it - as I mentioned before, stick it under the telly and use it as a media center, or at least for live streaming. Far cheaper than any alternatives.

It makes for a very low powered inexpensive test unit for students, especially the £16 version.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The government is clueless but if they had got their act together this should be quickly chosen as standard issue to schools. Or other countries may get their orders in first!
    Agree completely, but they also need to provide plenty of resources to go with it and amend the curriculum accordingly or its just going to be even more public money down the drain.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the product. I don't get the statement we quoted. Why would ms or apple be bothered by this product? I can't explain this better with edited quotes because I'm on my iPhone.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media keep saying that it is for programming, but only say it runs Linux. Is it only programmable in machine code?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    The media keep saying that it is for programming, but only say it runs Linux. Is it only programmable in machine code?

You program within Linux, using languages such as C++.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rog wrote: »

If I eventually get one, that would be my use for it. Get a decent sized memory stick for it and you could download directly to it as well. Would never need to turn the desktop on.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I eventually get one, that would be my use for it. Get a decent sized memory stick for it and you could download directly to it as well. Would never need to turn the desktop on.

You'd never get it working :)

I'll definitely get one when the initial excitement has worn off and there's a few tips'n'tricks and how-to's on-line.

Might force me into using Linux on a regular basis and actually learning something useful.