Using “Doable Barkers” in a comic context here?

JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just got to thinking here, being 4.38am and all; “Doable Barkers” a phrase John Nathan-Turner apparently used to describe teenagers who might be willing to have sex with him because he was producer of Doctor Who, and a phrase I fear we may hear a lot of this year.

So, do y'all think it's okay to take the piss and describe things as Doable Barkers on this very board, and in general in comic contexts? I might be tempted to, as my sense of humour is fairly dark, but I don't really want to offend everyone. I've used the phrase "ming mongs" here before, but that to me feels like an inclusive term, meaning everybody here, therefore not really offensive, where as “Doable Barkers” seems to have something darker going on.

In any case I'm probably thinking about this too deeply, but would be interested to hear opinions, if there are any.

Comments

• nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I don't know what other forum members think of this kind of black humour. I suppose you'll just have to suck it and see.

:o I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [Goes off to find some photos and videos of sexy Doctor Who fans, just to use this exciting new phrase in context.]
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    If the BBC have the balls to have the doctor hanging around a playground after Jimmy Saville then why should you worry
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [Goes off to find some photos and videos of sexy Doctor Who fans, just to use this exciting new phrase in context.]

Noticed you're still searching... :D

Doable barker
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I get the 'doable' bit . . . but the 'barkers'?

Would that be as in 'barking mad'?
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

That's my guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I just got to thinking here, being 4.38am and all; “Doable Barkers” a phrase John Nathan-Turner apparently used to describe teenagers who might be willing to have sex with him because he was producer of Doctor Who, and a phrase I fear we may hear a lot of this year.

So, do y'all think it's okay to take the piss and describe things as Doable Barkers on this very board, and in general in comic contexts? I might be tempted to, as my sense of humour is fairly dark, but I don't really want to offend everyone. I've used the phrase "ming mongs" here before, but that to me feels like an inclusive term, meaning everybody here, therefore not really offensive, where as “Doable Barkers” seems to have something darker going on.

In any case I'm probably thinking about this too deeply, but would be interested to hear opinions, if there are any.

The first thing that's most important to stress here, is that "doable barkers" does not refer to teenagers, but to fans that JNT and Gary Downie considered exactly that. Yes, some of them may have been teenagers, but many targetted were also
    young men.

Secondly, to bring it to your thoughts, I think it's an expression fandom is going to be stuck with from now on, along with
    Ming-Mongs. W'll have to live with it.

Personally, I was once ear-marked out as a potential for Gary Downie's 'affections' in 2002 or 2003, although I should stress nothing came of it, and he was jusy enquiring through a mutual contact. Some days - most, probably - I might find having the badge of "doable barker" funny, especially now I know what it was called, yet other times, I might not. I understand some people might have worse experiences themselves, and feel it's off-limits as a joke.

As the Doctor once said, to paraphrase Battlefield from memory, "high drama is like comedy. It all depends on the timing!"

Just judge it on a case-by-case basis, maybe?

Hope that helps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Yarp. That's exactly what Downie called the fans, so by extension, I'm presuming so did JNT.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Yarp. That's exactly what Downie called the fans, so by extension, I'm presuming so did JNT.

Nice to feel respected lol
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I don't like either term. They have nasty overtones.

Both, it seems to me, betray a certain attitude, a lack of respect, towards and belittling of those who are fans of their work.

Perhaps I'm betraying my age, but "m_ng" used to be a very derogatory word in my childhood and today is highly non-PC.

Personally, I try to stay away from name calling unless it's joking and I'm pretty sure the "victim" won't take it as malicious.

Don't do to others what you wouldn't like done to you.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so bothered by the 'doable' part, but I don't think it's very nice to suggest that Doctor Who fans are 'barking mad' especially if you happen to be someone who works on it! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the title, I thought this thread would be something to do with jokes in episodes of Doctor who. Well, I've not seen any 'fourkandles' mentioned anywhere, or even any Sontarans with thick glasses sitting in chairs and telling amusing anecdotes about how their mother in law mistakenly thought they were the enemy, so tossed a grenade at them.

It seems the term means something totally different to what I thought it would.

I am thinking the term was probably used ( by them at least) before it became associated with Doctor Who fans. It probably meant anyone crazy/mad/obsessive etc. who you would still think are attractive enough to 'bang', despite the possible bunny boiler aspects to their character, which may lead to some unpleasantness afterwards. OR- would still think are attractive enough to 'bang', despite the otherwise 'square-ness' of their general character?
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting how people seem more offended by the lack of respect towards fans!:confused:
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would argue Sue Barker and Linda Barker were 'doable'.

But you'd be pushing your luck with Ronnie Barker...