Bands who should keep going

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
The opposite of the "Bands who should call it a day" thread.

I will start off with Europe who just seem to go from strength to strength. Their last 3 albums were fantastic and I am watching the DVD from their 30th anniversary show and they still rock a stage.

Another one still making great music is Michael Schenker. Check out the taster from his upcoming album.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/premiere-michael-schenker-where-the-wild-winds-blow/

Glenn Hughes as well. I loved his work with BCC and am eagerly looking forward to his next project.

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I think Gary Numan has found a great balance between trading on, and satisfying the ongoing interest in, his mega-successful period (79-81) and continuing to release interesting new material. Apparently his latest album - Splinter (Songs from a Broken Mind) - is the first to reach the UK top 20 for 30 years and since he ditched electro-jazz-funk for a darker and more industrial sound 20 years ago the critics have been much kinder.

(I know he's a solo artist but he does have a band when he plays live)
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wrens.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Purple, The Who, Blondie, Roger Waters, and The Rolling Stones.

They can all still put on top notch shows.

I'm going to see Black Sabbath in December, so not sure about how good they still are, but I doubt they'll go on after this tour anyway.

The Moody Blues still do a good show, but they're a bit watered down since Mike Pinder left them.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Who

Can Daltrey still sing? I thought he sounded pretty rough at the Olympics.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Purple, The Who, Blondie, Roger Waters, and The Rolling Stones.

They can all still put on top notch shows.

I'm going to see Black Sabbath in December, so not sure about how good they still are, but I doubt they'll go on after this tour anyway.

The Moody Blues still do a good show, but they're a bit watered down since Mike Pinder left them.

I'm seeing them in Belfast on the 12th December. Can't wait :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I'm seeing them in Belfast on the 12th December. Can't wait :D

Cool :cool:

My contribution to this thread will be Jamiroquai. They've been around for 21 years and continue to perform great music even now. I know much of the 'classic' lineup have left, but I think they're still capable. I would, however, like to see their next album (which I believe should be out next year sometime; the band intend to start work on it soon) return to the sound of their earlier albums (I'm thinking the first four albums). As much as I liked the later albums, I personally prefer the acid jazz sound (think Space Cowboy, Alright and Seven Days in Sunny June).
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely The Rolling Stones! I think they're still fab and put on great shows - and as long as they still want to perform then I don't see why not!
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Pet Shop Boys definitely, their new album, Electric is brilliant!

Also Depeche Mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    Can Daltrey still sing? I thought he sounded pretty rough at the Olympics.

He sure can. I think televised events like the Olympics don't portray the sound that well.

The Who have just done a long tour performing Quadrophenia in it's entirety, and it was stunning. Rogers top edge screams are a little altered nowadays, but his singing was top notch.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its been over four years now since the last album from country band Diamond Rio. I hope that another one is released someday soon because I miss them.

God bless you and the guys always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He sure can. I think televised events like the Olympics don't portray the sound that well.

The Who have just done a long tour performing Quadrophenia in it's entirety, and it was stunning. Rogers top edge screams are a little altered nowadays, but his singing was top notch.

I saw The Who on the Quadrophenia tour and I must say Daltrey was in fine form that night. Great show it was, and that includes the support band.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Shop Boys definitely, their new album, Electric is brilliant!

Also Depeche Mode.

100% agreed :D
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not bad for a 69 year old! Actually I think Paul McCartney was the one I might have been wincing at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    Not bad for a 69 year old! Actually I think Paul McCartney was the one I might have been wincing at.

Paul got a lot of flak for that, but he's still pretty good really. I thought The Who were the stars of the Olympics, and that Roger was great then too.

I don't know if you saw the New York charity show last winter, but The Who were brilliant there, and Paul was good too, and he actually did one song with the remaining members of Nirvana.

Roger Waters and The Stones also did great sets at that show.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Blondie and No Doubt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Blondie and No Doubt

Blondie are still great live, and when I saw them this summer they played a lot of newer material, including unreleased songs, rather than comfortably going through the hits.

Not many older bands dare do that.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I agree with Depeche Mode - Only one of their last four albums has been decent (Playing the Angel).
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, PiL, U2, Chic and Public Enemy....all still sound great.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    U2 really, really dont sound great. They haven't since 2001.

I will add Pearl Jam to the list. And Soundgarden.