Home and Away is horrendous!

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
I love Home and Away and during the 90's and early 00's it was the best thing on tv BUT NOW it is the worst thing on tv and a dread to watch which is a real shame.

They need to completely revamp the show to make it good again and get rid of the dull characters and stop the constant crimes and accidents.

Comments

• topgooner100topgooner100 Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Braxtons but they are way too dominant! Agree I used to love it in 90s and early 00s now I just drop in and out when I get a chance. Also there's way too much crime stuff and silly unbelievable stories too!
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I like the Braxtons but they are way too dominant! Agree I used to love it in 90s and early 00s now I just drop in and out when I get a chance. Also there's way too much crime stuff and silly unbelievable stories too!

I like the Braxtons too and they are one of the reasons why I haven't switched off for good.
    There is just too many grumpy characters and I really hope that they don't cast another cop.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I think horrendous is way harsh.

I haven't watched past fortnight but usually watch regularly and I like it and enjoy still.

In my opinion it's better than most British soaps.
  • saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't anyone be happy
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Its great.The best soap and as said, much better than any of the Britsh soaps which have all gone bad.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    its not as good as it used to be but i wouldnt hate it, storylines just seem to fall flat these days and they should bring back the opening titles
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think H&A is horrendous at all. I like the Braxtons although how many times is one of them going to end up in hospital . The baby death storyline was a brave move, andI like seeing Dx slowly recovering from his accident. The teen domestic abuse storyline with Stu and Sasha was very well done also
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Is Pippa and Irene still in it ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to catch up on Home and Away but it has been focusing too much on the Braxtons for a long time now and I do wonder if the scriptwriters don't find the other characters interesting enough.
  • CRP2012CRP2012 Posts: 2,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Pippa and Irene still in it ?

Irene Yes,Pippa pops up about once every 5-6 years
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    Its great.The best soap and as said, much better than any of the Britsh soaps which have all gone bad.

You must be joking ?

I watched h&a religiously and was a soap I would hate missing.
    Now I barely even catch it twice a week.
    It's utterly dreadful and I actually think it would benefit from a British producer.
    I hate to sound Aussie-ist, but they simply cannot make decent television .

The show itself is stuck waay in the past, boring storylines , boring characters, nothing groundbreaking in there anymore.
    And I really don't get the deal with ignoring LGBT. even neighbours has a gay character now. (Though I heard that was because its on a digital channel in oz now, and 'that sort of thing' is allowed)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching after it moved to Channel 5 and don't think I could even tell you who was in it anymore.
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    The only thing that I genuinely love about it, is the Dex/April relationship and his recovery storyline but the Walkers in general I adore, I'm so so sick of The Braxton show, I don't mind Casey but they are overusing Heath and Brax, the show is all gloomy and crime oriented now, I still don't get why they killed Rocco off, Why can't a couple be normal and happy in home and away land...
    and If rumours on Back To The Bay are correct, they are set to ruin yet another couple, with another depressing death in Gina dying.. smh, The Walker Family are the reason I'm still watching..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about horrendous but it is very weak at the moment.

The death of a baby playing second fiddle to yet another story about Casey being in trouble with the police had me at a loss for words.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Harvey and Roo I can't stand. They're so annoying, all the constant rowing etc. Roo comes across to me as a bit of a spoilt brat, goes mad if she can't get her own way etc.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,732
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    And I really don't get the deal with ignoring LGBT. even neighbours has a gay character now. (Though I heard that was because its on a digital channel in oz now, and 'that sort of thing' is allowed)
    No, Chris was gay before they switched to the digital channel. Also, he has a boyfriend now, so the show has 2 gay characters.

H&A has zilch. It's too conservative, which is ironic, considering all the murder and drug stories they have. The show has no identity, while it's trying to be something it isn't: a freaking drama. If they weren't so ashamed of being a soap opera, the show would find some sort of identity from that, but sadly, I don't think the Seven network want that.

RIP Home & Away, your golden days are long gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be joking ?

It's utterly dreadful and I actually think it would benefit from a British producer.

The show itself is stuck waay in the past, boring storylines , boring characters, nothing groundbreaking in there anymore.

Australia has made great television shows and there have been a lot of LGBT characters on Australia TV over the decades. Other posters have supplied you with extensive lists which you choose to ignore because your main agenda is belittling Australia rather than having any rational discussion about the issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    H&A is nowhere as near as good as it used to be, but I just treat it as a bit of escapism and try not to compare it too much to the UK soaps, because it never will deal with the issues UK soaps deal with. H&A's biggest advantage is its location, which I believe is the best out of any soap. Palm Beach is a stunning location.

Saying that, H&A has improved a lot in the last 6 months with Dex's crash and aftermath, Rocco's death, the filming in the desert (the actual plot a bit bizarre though), Roo & Harvey's wedding, the return of Colleen, Celia & Morag.
  • Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, I just wish the relationships would stop going back forward all the time. One moment April likes Dex, then the next she decides she can't cope with his condition and then she's okay with it again and on and on the cycle goes on repeat. Same thing with Roo and Harvey, why get married when there are clearly massive trust issues in the relationship?? And then obviously bianca and heath find some happiness and then boom it's all over. :(
  • TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand Indi she must be the worst characte ever.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be joking ?

Maybe you need to revisit this extensive list of glbt characters on Australian TV. It includes the first gay couple on an Australian soap opera (in 1972) and the first televised kiss on the lips between members of a gay male couple (also in 1972) - some time before there was such a thing as a digital channel.

And, er, some time before similar things first apeared on UK TV. :rolleyes:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61416143&postcount=29
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think H&A is still really good, just going through maybe a 'quieter' period. I do agree, the Braxton's are dominating a bit. Still kinda miss likes of Jack, Martha, Nicole, Angelo... then even some of the further back lot Amanda etc too.

The crime turn has had it's phase I think since really Hugo Austin. Now they are going for the 'defeats death' storyline with
    Charlie
    coming back in 2013 for a few eps!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    The show lost its way in 2007 when Cameron Walsh took over from Julie McGauran as series producer. Ironically, they got married a few months after he took over from her, so it was her own husband who undid all her work.

Home and Away was quite sensationalist during her tenure but I think that's what made the show so great. They must have had a disaster/lost at sea/lost in the bush/just generally lost type storyline every few months but the slightly wacky storylines hooked people in and the show still had a lot of heart and likeable characters which kept people invested. It was fast paced (admittedly sometimes a little too fast paced) and had a great balance of stories.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you need to revisit this extensive list of glbt characters on Australian TV. It includes the first gay couple on an Australian soap opera (in 1972) and the first televised kiss on the lips between members of a gay male couple (also in 1972) - some time before there was such a thing as a digital channel.

And, er, some time before similar things first apeared on UK TV. :rolleyes:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61416143&postcount=29

Fabulous.

Still none in home and away though ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabulous.

Still none in home and away though ...

So? There are no lesbians on Eastenders.