Voting to be done via Twitter?

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a456642/x-factor-viewers-to-be-able-to-vote-via-twitter.html

Not sure if it will happen but it's an interesting topic. I could see Simon Cowell backing this way of voting as he understands the link between social media and the record buying public, but I can't see ITV being quite so keen as it means they'll lose revenue.

If implemented, it would almost certainly influence the type of winner we would get at the end of it. Let's face it, if this has been a way to vote in 2010, 1D would have absolutely sailed through to the winning position.

Comments

• Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    Awful, awful idea.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't 'twitter' how TOWIE managed to win best drama award a couple of years ago?

Won't happen, they make the money from the phone lines, they're not going to sacrifice that cash cow.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    No thanks.

I mean it would be easier than having to relay a number into a phone but no because fangirls (and boys etc) would get their way and the finals would be filled with just one type of artist/just good looking male's and acts like Rebecca Ferguson probably wouldn't do aswell.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Makes sense in the long run. Would benefit younger acts (1D, Little Mix for example) and dampen acts like Christopher which is exactly what they want.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    The source explained: "Twitter voting may well work in America, but there are a lot of obstacles to stopping it from being a realistic proposition in the UK."
    What difference does location make to digital stuff? Twitter in the UK is no different to twitter anywhere else, unless they're referring to Ofcom regulations, in which case Big Brother did a twitter vote for the wild card housemate last summer without much trouble. Though it wasn't done via DMs, you had to go to a dedicated website and use your twitter details to log in and vote, with each person entitled to one vote each.
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The success of 1D/Little Mix shows that the Twitter users are exactly the type of audience they need to focus on to produce a successful winner but I do agree there a lot of potential problems in letting this happen/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I am surprise they mentioned Twitter, not Facebook. Facebook accounts are more reliable.

Australia and USA had Facebook voting last year (along with the regular phone/SMS methods).
    Each week, a person can have 50 votes (X Factor USA) / 1 vote (X Factor Australia).

Facebook has a very strict policy to register a account. Hence, it limited the chances of a person vote from multiple accounts.

Use social media, it allows some free voting, and opens the voting system to those cannot pay the votes by phone. For examples:
    - kids / teenage girls who doesn't control their phone bill
    - the lower class who cannot pay the extra bills
    - international fans (this helped AU's Samantha Jade)

Furthermore, Syco/Sony/X Factor can analyze the voting demographic for future artist development.
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    A horrendous and incredibly stupid idea.

It would completely alienate a large portion of their audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Starzz123 wrote: »
    The success of 1D/Little Mix shows that the Twitter users are exactly the type of audience they need to focus on to produce a successful winner but I do agree there a lot of potential problems in letting this happen/

Australia didn't get rid of the old system, just add a new method.
    However, AU's Jason Owen, who has a similar fanbase to UK's Christoper, and not upto the same level as other acts, still made top 2 without bottom 2s. (People suspected his vote came from phone voting, which was unlimited votes.)

At least the new method enabled some online campaigns for Samantha Jade to win. It's because international fans can vote using Facebook.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want free voting then why not just drop the call charge right down? A vote on Got To Dance costs 5p! It's as good as free. If Sky can do it then theres no reason why ITV can't do it on a show that gets 10 times the audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What difference does location make to digital stuff? Twitter in the UK is no different to twitter anywhere else, unless they're referring to Ofcom regulations, in which case Big Brother did a twitter vote for the wild card housemate last summer without much trouble. Though it wasn't done via DMs, you had to go to a dedicated website and use your twitter details to log in and vote, with each person entitled to one vote each.

The difference is that in the UK they make a profit off the phoneline votes, whereas in the US they make no money from the votes so the way in which people do so is not important.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a good idea. Judging by my facebook feed, an awful lot of people who watch X-Factor talk about it online at the same time. I can't see anything possibly going wrong with online voting at all ...just ask Time's person of the century Ronnie O'Brien.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Only if it's one vote per IP address...
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Awful, awful idea.

This. It's asking for disaster.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,499
    Forum Member
    They may as well axe the Overs category if true
  • davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    don't like it
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    The acts I generally love usually aren't the ones that twitter go crazy over so there is some bias that makes me want to join the "It's an awful idea bandwagon.", but the ones who're popular on twitter right now are the ones who're selling... So even if I don't like it, I'll reluctantly admit this is a pretty good idea from a commercial point of view.
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with this idea works alot better than the grans controlling the show with flop and flop... steve,leon,chris etc..
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

only thing the overs catogary has done is produced olly murs(who they would have probally let audition anyway) so it is usless and should be scraped.. kye and chris where awful 2 of the worst of all time..
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't think this is neccessarily a bad thing. I think they should have a 16-21 category and then 22+. The reality of the music industry is that it's very difficult for anyone over the age of 30 to come along and make a major chart impact unless they're exceptional, and the overs category has always struggled becase of that. If they dramatically lower the age of the overs, it will actually become a serious category because there will still be acts in there that are commercially viable, and if anyone over the age of 28 is good enough (like Olly), they'll still be able to be included.

Or have a 'groups', 'males' and 'females' category and then just have a wildcards category which is made up of one of each that the public votes in.

I still don't think the twitter thing is going to happen but I think it would be really interesting to see what happens if it did. Considering Sony pretty much pick up all the acts now that they consider to have potential, it's not like anyone needs to win the show or even make the final in order to be signed. If an act is good enough, they'll be signed, so why not change up the way people can vote? I'd actually vote each week if the vote was free and as easy as doing it over Twitter, and I'm sure many others would as well that aren't voting at the moment.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember the Big Brother Facebook voting debacle??

I can see the same happening for the Xfactor
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    only thing the overs catogary has done is produced olly murs(who they would have probally let audition anyway) so it is usless and should be scraped.. kye and chris where awful 2 of the worst of all time..

Yes but you also get gems like Beverly, Ruth, Mary and Melanie who all arguable deserved better than what they got.

It's a shame really though because the Overs don't have a great track record, yet it's one of the defining features of the show having an Overs category and a Groups category.