Celebs Who Commit Crimes: Do you still support them musically?

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    The whole MJ being an "alleged" paedo thingy has put me off him. But i sometimes listen to his music, not because i like him but because the song is catchy! I still don't think the verdict at his trial wasnt neccessarily the right outcome but hey. lol.
  • the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worpler wrote: »
    I boycott all RnB cos it is sh1te.

And this Chris Brown sounds like a right little ****.....he will do it again of that we can be sure.
    RocaBoi18 wrote: »
    1) You obviously haven't listened to much RnB
    2) To make a generalised statement like that is ridiculous
    3) What is your favourite genre? Cause maybe that's not to other people's taste!
    Exactly!
    I heart R'N'B.:)
    worpler wrote: »
    I've heard more than enough to know it's vacuous chod, but each to their own.
    I agree with that.

I would only boycott a star I liked if they'd done something completely heinous. Other than that, no... if it's more minor, I don't give a fig.

Rofl :D

Completely agree worpler.

Can't be doing with this R'n'B lite that's in the charts at the mo. It's not even R'n'B, it's pop!
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I still listen to Whitney Houstons early stuff, even though shes a crackwhore, same goes for The Wino. Can't stand their personalities mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still listen to Whitney Houstons early stuff, even though shes a crackwhore, same goes for The Wino. Can't stand their personalities mind.

I think it probably makes a huge difference if the celeb has committed a crime against another human.

If you started disregarding every celeb for doing drugs then the showbiz world would be in trouble lol.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    the_phoo wrote: »
    I think it probably makes a huge difference if the celeb has committed a crime against another human.

If you started disregarding every celeb for doing drugs then the showbiz world would be in trouble lol.

Whitney has attacked around 100 paparazzi, I know they're scum but can be classed as another human... maybe?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney has attacked around 100 paparazzi, I know they're scum but can be classed as another human... maybe?!

Lol possibly :o

Might need to look it up on Wiki :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like some people I'm boycotting CB but should you boycott all stars wo go court whether they've been found guilty or not guilty?
    Who you still endorse star, even though they've been found guilty of a crime?
    How serious would the crime have to be for you to not defend the star and class it as a ''mistake''. And if you boycott, one star who's been found guilty of crimes should you boycott them all.
    I've boycotted stars because I feel if you're buying into there stuff and they do a serious crime and get found guilty, your endorsing them to do it again.
    If you listen to stars who do things offence, on the radio or on t.v and Youtube is that different to endorsing them by buying there stuff, or is it the same?
    If you wouldn't enorse a star, why? If it's complex why?

To be honest, its a difficult question.

My feeling is that if i liked the music, i probably would not boycott it. This is because I buy my music to listen to it and enjoy it, not as an act of support towards the artist.

I can see why people feel that someone such as Chris Brown does not deserve sucess, but if he releases a song that i want to listen to (which hasnt happened yet), i will probably listen to it.

Once you start basing your music choices on the actions of the artist, it ceases to be about the music and more just a popularity contest, which is too prevelent in the music industry as it is and is destroying it by letting uncreative and uninnovative songs have sucess based on the act's name alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irish-óg wrote: »

My feeling is that if i liked the music, i probably would not boycott it. This is because I buy my music to listen to it and enjoy it, not as an act of support towards the artist.

I can see why people feel that someone such as Chris Brown does not deserve sucess, but if he releases a song that i want to listen to (which hasnt happened yet), i will probably listen to it.

Once you start basing your music choices on the actions of the artist, it ceases to be about the music and more just a popularity contest, which is too prevelent in the music industry as it is and is destroying it by letting uncreative and uninnovative songs have sucess based on the act's name alone.

My sentiments exactly! And entertainers arent usually your normal kind of person. A lot of them are high school drop out, do drugs, and have a lot of skeletton in their closet, just unheard of. Its been said that CB hit Rihanna before, but to the fan, he seemed like a very clean wholesome person until this incident. SO like you said, its stupid to out these artists in a moral box. I never do! As a matter of fact, I expect the worst from them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irish-óg wrote: »

I understand you but the thing is, if a artist you supported abused kids, wouldn't you be endorsing their actions if you continued to buy their stuff, and funding their court cases. I feel I should not give money, to padeos, murders, women beaters. Any other offence seems minor to me unless someone apart from the artist is killed. Maybe, I'm silly to boycott everyone who commits these offences but I see by not supporting an artist who is an
    1. Padeo
    2.Murder
    3.Women Beater
    you are discouraging those who are famous from doing it, in fear their career will die. I just feel if I listened to the music of women beater singing a love song, they are being hyprocritical.
    Maybe the reason why we as people care so much were music is coming from instead of wherther the song itself, is good music or not, is because of the celebrity culture that has risen in years to destroy people who do the unthinkable, and judge them on them as person rather than their music. I don't know, I was bought up this way. I learned that you can't put your own morals against music, because that's just stupid, at the same time I don't want to buy the album of someone who's killed a person and fund their court case.
    Maybe, I'm expecting too much from stars, when I think they should not, murder, abuse kids, or beat up their partners.
    But then I ask this:

Is their a difference between listening to an artist's music and then buying it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ama2k9 wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly! And entertainers arent usually your normal kind of person. A lot of them are high school drop out, do drugs, and have a lot of skeletton in their closet, just unheard of. Its been said that CB hit Rihanna before, but to the fan, he seemed like a very clean wholesome person until this incident. SO like you said, its stupid to out these artists in a moral box. I never do! As a matter of fact, I expect the worst from them.
    Well, that's your opinon. But accept the fact others choose not to support anyone who:
    Murders.
    Abuses kids.
    Is a women beater.
    Most people don't support drugs but don't consider that as reason to boycott someone. It's reasons like those above.
    Also, I have never heard of Rhianna or Beyonce, murdering, abusing kids or beating anyone up.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go to see a Roman Polanski film. Don't understand how he's acceptable in society
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why this thread has been bumped. Intersting to read thoughts about MJ as he was still alive when this started. One thing though unlike the JS affair have people come out of the woodwork now he's dead I havent herd of any?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry it was an accident, it came up when I was searching for something else and I didn't notice the date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever boycotted jeff boycott?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still buy Chris Brown's music, because I genuinely do enjoy his albums. If he's ever allowed back to the UK I'll probably go see him on tour as well because I love his music.

Does that mean I like him as a person? No. I can't really stand him, but I'm not going to let the producers/writers of his music suffer by illegally downloading just 'cos he's a knob.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I still buy Chris Brown's music, because I genuinely do enjoy his albums. If he's ever allowed back to the UK I'll probably go see him on tour as well because I love his music.

Does that mean I like him as a person? No. I can't really stand him, but I'm not going to let the producers/writers of his music suffer by illegally downloading just 'cos he's a knob.

I personally would never buy an album of someone who I can't stand. When you listen to his 'heartfelt' songs (I haven't listened to any of his albums but presume they have some slow,'sad' songs on there?) do you just listen to his voice and appreciate it or are you thinking all the time "you're such a twat?"
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the crime. I would probably stop buying their music, because I wouldn't want any of my money to go to them, but if I liked a record of theirs, I'm not going to lie and say I don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally would never buy an album of someone who I can't stand. When you listen to his 'heartfelt' songs (I haven't listened to any of his albums but presume they have some slow,'sad' songs on there?) do you just listen to his voice and appreciate it or are you thinking all the time "you're such a twat?"

I don't really think about his personality, tbh. Just like when I'm listening to any other artist I'm not sitting thinking about their personalities either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    The only things that really make me decide not to listen to someone ever is pedophilia/child abuse/animal cruelty probably... just because I can't not think about it when listening to a song.

Every other crime... I don't care much at all.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I hated Chris Brown anyway, and I hate him more after what he did.

Although I like Beth Ditto and still buy all of Gossips music, I feel a bit hypocritical but :o
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    ...Although I like Beth Ditto and still buy all of Gossips music, I feel a bit hypocritical but :o
    What has she done?
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I don't really think about his personality, tbh. Just like when I'm listening to any other artist I'm not sitting thinking about their personalities either.

Fair point, but seeing them in concert? I couldn't bear to see anyone that I couldn't stand in concert, or listening to their music
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    What has she done?

Not to the extent of CB, but she assaulted a guy whilst drunk, although not as big case as Chris