Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Starts on BBC4 next Saturday at 9pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wtv8y

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavily previewed in the, otherwise lacklustre , Xmas Radio Times.

I have a cut-out of Krister’s head on a long stick just in case the change proves too traumatic! Industrial Light and Magic would charge millions to achieve the same effect. Probably..........
  • RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I have a cut-out of Krister’s head on a long stick just in case the change proves too traumatic! .
    :D

Is this a new Wallander, or is it a repeat of the original Swedish films, before Krister made the role his own?

edit, just checked wiki- it's a repeat of the original film series
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rutakateki wrote: »
    :D

Is this a new Wallander, or is it a repeat of the original Swedish films, before Krister made the role his own?

edit, just checked wiki- it's a repeat of the original film series

The last three Lassgard Wallanders overlapped with the first series of the Henrikkson Wallander
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Sky+ says "an old friend of Kurt's suspects that the death of his father may have involved foul play" - I know that's one of the books (The Man Who Smiled?) so I'm guessing it's an older Lassgard film. It'll be interesting to see a different set of actors...
    Straker wrote: »
    I have a cut-out of Krister’s head on a long stick just in case the change proves too traumatic! I.

I want one! :D
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great! Thanks for the heads up. It will be very interesting to compare the various versions...

K
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a disappointment, similar with the situation where some of us have got used to Krister and don't like Brannagh.

It's the same with the Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy of films. Noomi Rapace has turned down the part of Lisbeth Salander in the Hollywood re-make, so I won't be bothering, when it's released.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was convinced that Krister would be too old and soft-looking - it took me one episode to fall in love with him.

This other guy (she says insultingly :o )... I've watched the first few minutes of one show and then forgotten all about it :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Oooh, I wish you'd all spell his name correctly!!! I know the English alphabet has less letters than the Swedish but it's only a copy-and-paste job to get it right.

The Swedish can get very upset when people spell their names wrong. It's Lassgård, not Lassgard. An 'å' is not the same as an 'a', and using an 'a' in its place means the name is pronounced incorrectly as well as spelled incorrectly. The nearest english sound to 'å' is probably 'or', so the word 'står' is pronounced as 'storr', for example.

This may be being a bit picky, but I have Swedish friends who always complain about when English people write their names, they just substitute letters for any they can't see on their keyboard rather than taking the few seconds to paste them in. It's just respectful to make sure you write someone's name properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    DemonDan wrote: »
    Oooh, I wish you'd all spell his name correctly!!! I know the English alphabet has less letters than the Swedish but it's only a copy-and-paste job to get it right.

The Swedish can get very upset when people spell their names wrong. It's Lassgård, not Lassgard. An 'å' is not the same as an 'a', and using an 'a' in its place means the name is pronounced incorrectly as well as spelled incorrectly. The nearest english sound to 'å' is probably 'or', so the word 'står' is pronounced as 'storr', for example.

This may be being a bit picky, but I have Swedish friends who always complain about when English people write their names, they just substitute letters for any they can't see on their keyboard rather than taking the few seconds to paste them in. It's just respectful to make sure you write someone's name properly.

What sensitive souls - my wife's a Sian and is quite happy for her "hat" to be there or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Damn..I was hoping for a Krister series 2 repeat...
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm liking this version - it's very close to the book (apart from the love interest!) but I'm not convinced by - and I'm bloody well going to spell this the English way - Lassgard. He's a good actor but I just love Krister!!
    He is, though, far better and more Wallanderish than Branagh!
    I need Straker's Krister puppet!
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a curate's egg, I thought. Good in most places, but occasionally I felt as though I was watching a 70s B-movie - the soundtrack was just odd sometimes. I'd give it 7/10 (Krister scores 10 of course!).

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I liked the open ending, made it less like a TV movie.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    We still had a troubled and flawed Wallander but a less saturnine and more impulsive one than Krister Henriksson's Wallander.

It was a good storyline and was well acted (I liked the bit at the end when the file was transferred to the journalist). Unlike the theatrical and over-acted British Wallander, this one had a genuine Swedish feel to it (not surprising really!). I'd now like to see all the other 8 Rolf Lassgård Wallander dramas plus a repeat of series 2 of Krister Henriksson's Wallander. Time to make a comment to BBC4...

Initial Verdict:
    1st Place: Krister Henriksson's Wallander on 10 points
    2nd Place: Rolf Lassgård's Wallander on 8 points
    3rd Place: Kenneth Branagh's Wallander on 4 points
  • Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did actually enjoy it........as a detective series, just couldn't accept Lassgard as Kurt Wallander and kept waiting for Krister Henriksson to come in and take over.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firewall is on next week. This film is in two parts. Part one shown Saturday night and part two Monday 20th. Each part is 1 hour 25 minutes long.

On a side note. 0 out of 10 for yesterday's TV section of the Times which said this was the Branagh version.

Edit, Kenny T beat me to it.

The episode after that deals with the death of Svedberg as well as the death of three teenagers at Midsummer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Loved it!!
    ;)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Pat13 wrote: »
    I did actually enjoy it........as a detective series, just couldn't accept Lassgard as Kurt Wallander and kept waiting for Krister Henriksson to come in and take over.

I'd go along with that. It was good crime drama in its own right and much better than the dog's breakfast that is British Wallander. At the moment I still prefer the Krister Henriksson Wallander but I certainly look forward to seeing more good Rolf Lassgård Wallander episodes. :)

I know what you mean, DemonDan. When I reproduce Scandinavian words, I try also to give a rough pronounciation guide (not in the phonetic alphabet as very few understand that) so for the letter å I'd suggest that English speakers pronounce it something like "aw" as in "paw". That should be close enough to be understood in any of Sweden, Norway & Denmark.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hardly think that it is necessary to demand people use foreign characters when posting on this board. When transliterating names from foreign languages the use of special characters is at best optional. Why should we have to use the umlaut on this board with Sven Göran Eriksson when very few newspapers did?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I can assure you that the vast majority of Swedes don’t give a shit if you happen to leave out å, ä and ö or not!!! This much in the same way we, in Sweden and I assume in the U.K, do not spell Chinese, Greek or Russian names the way they spell them themselves. I’ve yet not heard an Englishman pronounce my own name the way it is pronounced in Sweden since our e is pronounced differently in the English language so for an Englishman to say Lena the way it is spelt it would sound the name Lina in Swedish. It's really not a big deal and I don’t mind; why bother in trying to teach them to pronounce it right when it is hard for them and all of us know it is me we’re talking about :-)

The way I know Rolf Lassgård from interviews I’d say he is a pretty sensible, humble, pleasant guy with a sense of humour so I’m sure he’s okay with his name being spelt Lassgard, after all we all understand who is referred to!

In Sweden most viewers, and critics, see Rolf Lassgård as the original and ‘the’ Wallander. He is also more true to Mankells books. Lassgård is a very popular actor among the general public since he’s been in quite a few films that has done well whereas Henriksson is more of a theatre actor and before he became Wallander he was not so known among those who never set foot in theatres. Otherwise Beck is the most well-known, popular and most talked about crime series among Swedes. The other week a Swedish Crimewatch programme asked their viewers who their favourite cop was and the winner was the character Gunvald Larsson (played by Mikael Persbrandt) in Beck followed by Rolf Lassgårds Wallander. I personally do not particularly like the Beck films and when it comes to Wallander I like both Rolf Lassgård and Krister Henriksson whereas Kenneth Branagh I'm afraid not so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    So that's three Wallanders we've seen...two to go.

Five actors have currently played the part of Kurt Wallander. We've still to see Gustav Skarsgård, who played a young Wallander (still a uniformed policeman on the beat) in the swedish film The Pyramid, and Lennart Jähkel in the swedish TV series The Talisman.

Hopefully we've get to see the full set in time.
  • Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Lena LaVern

In Sweden most viewers, and critics, see Rolf Lassgård as the original and ‘the’ Wallander. He is also more true to Mankells books. Lassgård is a very popular actor among the general public since he’s been in quite a few films that has done well whereas Henriksson is more of a theatre actor and before he became Wallander he was not so known among those who never set foot in theatres. Otherwise Beck is the most well-known, popular and most talked about crime series among Swedes. The other week a Swedish Crimewatch programme asked their viewers who their favourite cop was and the winner was the character Gunvald Larsson (played by Mikael Persbrandt) in Beck followed by Rolf Lassgårds Wallander. I personally do not particularly like the Beck films and when it comes to Wallander I like both Rolf Lassgård and Krister Henriksson whereas Kenneth Branagh I'm afraid not so much.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that information Lena LaVern. I had always been curious as to how well known or popular these two actors were in their home country as opposed to ours and it does explain why Henriksson was so eager to leave Wallander and return to the stage. I understand that is where he is currently.
    I like Kenneth Branagh, just not as Wallander, but do have to thank him for introducing me to Henriksson, Lassgard, Martin Beck and a whole range of Scandinavian authors. A whole new world has been opened up for me!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that when Branangh did a version of this story they gave it a happier ending...

BTW:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wvcyj
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Being fairly new to Wallander, I was confused as to why the film had another actor to the one I have seen in the series.

All is explained here, thanks to the wonderful people of DS!

I must say that although the film was superior to most other cop shows, it wasn't a patch on the more recent (Swedish) Wallander series that I've seen.