Dionne Warwick is broke & filing for bankruptcy

whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
Forum Member
http://dlisted.com/2013/03/26/cousin-dionne-107-million-debt

not another one, I find it curious that her income is just $10 more per month than outgoings. What is it with these stars and tax, stick em on PAYE or U.S equivalent

I love the outfit too, great fanny pack

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She has nice teeth as well as a nice fanny pack. :) I bet those gnashers set her back a few bob - no wonder she's bankrupt! :eek:
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    the whole get up is a sight to behold.
    She was a bit s*** singing on This Morning recently, she was very authoritative at Nippy's funeral though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I saw her live and she was rubbish
  • spanglystevespanglysteve Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find it odd when she attempted to launch a comeback last year, especially since her voice was so much weaker than it used to be. Now we know why.

The likely reason for her income being so close to her outgoings will be that she is on a re-payment plan with her current debtors. There will be known outgoings and she will have a fixed budget for personal expense each month (which she is off-course likely to over or underspend).

I find it incredible that she can be earning £13k a month in royalties/appearance fees yet no-one said to her that she might want to keep some of that aside to pay her tax bill at the end of the year. Who on earth was her accountant?

Also it is likely that all her appearance fee's and royalities are paid through a company in order to make it tax efficient. It would be interesting to understand if it is her, or her company which is bankrupt. I would imagine it is probably the company, and that she still has a sizable private wealth. Its such a loophole in the system and must be closed.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    She had the same expensive habits as Whitney, thats where it has all gone
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find it odd when she attempted to launch a comeback last year, especially since her voice was so much weaker than it used to be. Now we know why.The likely reason for her income being so close to her outgoings will be that she is on a re-payment plan with her current debtors. There will be known outgoings and she will have a fixed budget for personal expense each month (which she is off-course likely to over or underspend).

I find it incredible that she can be earning £13k a month in royalties/appearance fees yet no-one said to her that she might want to keep some of that aside to pay her tax bill at the end of the year. Who on earth was her accountant?

Also it is likely that all her appearance fee's and royalities are paid through a company in order to make it tax efficient. It would be interesting to understand if it is her, or her company which is bankrupt. I would imagine it is probably the company, and that she still has a sizable private wealth. Its such a loophole in the system and must be closed.

Indeed! Shame though she was a cracking singer in her time

By the way i am self employed on a lot less than £13K a month :eek: and was advised by my accountant to become a limited company for exactly the reasons you state so you may well have hit the nail on the head there ;)
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    Surely she saw this coming?
    The Psychic Friends Network was a telephone psychic service operating in the United States in the 1990s. The company's infomercials were aired frequently on late night television and in early 2012 launched a new state-of-the-art website.

Presented in talk show-like format and hosted by singer Dionne Warwick and psychic Linda Georgian, each installment featured a 1-900 number for viewers to call to consult a psychic at the rate of $3.99 per minute.

The company declared bankruptcy in 1998 due to poor business decisions and spiraling competition.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    She tried to live it large like Big Boy Barry, but couldn't handle it.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must have been a heartbreaker for her though.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    The IRS just confiscated her surname

Now she's just Dionne
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, poor Dionne...she'll have to forfeit her luxurious lifestyle by selling everything she owns in her name or resort to panhandling for a few cents on the mean streets of New Jersey nowadays.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was a committed christian? Not that committed christians don't sin and all that but when she was interviewed by Fearne *pretending to be your best friend* Brittan she said her church was her life and Jesus was her saviour and she lived by faith and what the bible taught etc etc etc!!
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I thought she was a committed christian? Not that committed christians don't sin and all that but when she was interviewed by Fearne *pretending to be your best friend* Brittan she said her church was her life and Jesus was her saviour and she lived by faith and what the bible taught etc etc etc!!

Don't understand what you're getting at there.:confused:

Committed Christians can still go bankrupt.
    Forum Member
    off topic slightly but Whitney was a big old Christian/Baptist and look how that ended.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Dionne Warwick once and spoke to her!! She was on the same flight as me from Chicago to Heathrow(First Class obviously), and we met when she was in the same line as me going through Border Control at Heathrow!! I would have thought, with her money and fame, that she would have been ushered through the VIP section!!:eek: I knew who it was cos in Chicago she was led onto the plane first and I overheard a flight attendant mention her by name as "Ms Warwick"!!

The thing is, she looked like a down and out tramp!!:eek:

And this was in 2001, cos it was just 3 weeks after 9/11 happened!!
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    She did a gig here in the UK some years ago and the auditorium wasn't very full.
    She refused to perform.

[The same thing happened to Kiki Dee at a smaller venue, and Kiki came on stage and down the mic asked everyone to come and sit together at the front to make it seem full and still did her show.]

So, to me, Dionne came over as a bit grand and it made me dislike her.

And I felt that her Christian beliefs might be a bit of a 'front.'
    And although I think it's great to believe that the Lord will provide etc, but as far as I know, He doesn't do your accounts and pay your tax bill for you.

:)
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.:(

I've always thought she was a good'un.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She tried to live it large like Big Boy Barry, but couldn't handle it.

Are you well-known?

Do you have a talent comparable to Dionne's?:confused:

She has great talent.
    Do you?:confused:
    Forum Member
    I do not like how singers like her can live a lifestyle of excess in every way and yet still profess to love God, whilst still continuing the same way.

They do it and then confess to be a sinner, that should work for a couple of times yet after years of the same behaviour, they still cling to the same old story, it doesnt wash with me.

If they were given a voice and talent which they destroy by their lifestyle, they should be made to face their destructive ways and not forgiven time after time as it only gives them permission to continue.

I do think it is in the family and will continue with Whitneys daughter, they cannot cope with their talent, fame and notoriety, such a shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I do not like how singers like her can live a lifestyle of excess in every way and yet still profess to love God, whilst still continuing the same way.

They do it and then confess to be a sinner, that should work for a couple of times yet after years of the same behaviour, they still cling to the same old story, it doesnt wash with me.

If they were given a voice and talent which they destroy by their lifestyle, they should be made to face their destructive ways and not forgiven time after time as it only gives them permission to continue.

I do think it is in the family and will continue with Whitneys daughter, they cannot cope with their talent, fame and notoriety, such a shame.

It is indeed a shame and I feel really sorry that you think its not wrong to be sitting in judgement on a lovely lady imho.
    Forum Member
    It is indeed a shame and I feel really sorry that you think its not wrong to be sitting in judgement on a lovely lady imho.

We didn't think she was lovely when she refused to come out of her dressing room and sing to us.

We eventually got a refund on our tickets, but we didn't get a refund on our travel expenses and hotel.

And we didn't think she was lovely enough to spend money on seeing again after that.

Forum Member
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    I met Dionne Warwick once and spoke to her!! She was on the same flight as me from Chicago to Heathrow(First Class obviously), and we met when she was in the same line as me going through Border Control at Heathrow!! I would have thought, with her money and fame, that she would have been ushered through the VIP section!!:eek: I knew who it was cos in Chicago she was led onto the plane first and I overheard a flight attendant mention her by name as "Ms Warwick"!!

The thing is, she looked like a down and out tramp!!:eek:

And this was in 2001, cos it was just 3 weeks after 9/11 happened!!

I must admit I thought she looked pretty scruffy on This Morning, IIRC she was wearing jogging pants and Ugg style boots
    Forum Member
    We didn't think she was lovely when she refused to come out of her dressing room and sing to us.

We eventually got a refund on our tickets, but we didn't get a refund on our travel expenses and hotel.

And we didn't think she was lovely enough to spend money on seeing again after that.

don't blame you, sweet story about Kiki though sounds lovely:)
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    don't blame you, sweet story about Kiki though sounds lovely:)

I'll never forget it.
    Only about twenty four people turned up.
    It wasn't a huge venue, but it must have been a bit of a downer for her.

But she never showed it. Not one bit.
    For me, that's a true Pro.

Unlike Ms Warwick.
    Forum Member

I do not think she is a lovely lady, therefore I will call into question her trying to absolve all her continued indiscretions by
    using religion.