Doctor Who - Season 8

1234568»

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I recently figured out that, as of the end of 2013, we will have been given the equivalent of 7 X 13 episode runs + 13 specials equivalent to more than 1 series. That's 8 series in 8.5 years. When people talk of lost episodes/ a lack of episodes, and I am just glad we're getting some new eps, I look at these figures and feel happy :)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    I agree.

I'm still not ruling out a late start for S8 with 4 eps showing between the anniversary and xmas.

That would give us 14 eps over the course of the year with at least 2 of them being 60 minutes ..... Is that really too much to ask?

Yes it is too much to ask because it clearly isn't happening.

S7 B hasn't even aired. Moffat is still writing the anniversary special. Where do you think they are going to magic new episodes from? The BBC haven't even confirmed that S8 has even been commissioned. Some people are just deluded and its becoming wearisome having to see the same old posts which just fly by on blind optimism and ignore the facts.

We will get at least ten episodes this year. Lets enjoy them and look forward to that. Why dream of phantom episodes that haven't even been commissioned or written yet? Its madness.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The anniversary special technically IS the start of series 8. This, and then the Christmas special and, hopefully, at least 8 episode run the following Spring will make up series 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The anniversary special technically IS the start of series 8. This, and then the Christmas special and, hopefully, at least 8 episode run the following Spring will make up series 8.

No it isn't. It is the anniversary special.Whatever production code is used or how its bundled for DVD it is a one off special. Season Eight does not even currently exist in any capacity except Moffats head.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member

lol. Are there any references or sources to back up this theory or did you just make it up in your own head and decide that it must be true? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    lol. Are there any references or sources to back up this theory or did you just make it up in your own head and decide that it must be true? :)

I think we all know the answer to that question...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If them lot at the BBC have been planning to reduce the 'standard' episode count they could just say. They could announce they are thin king about it months before hand so there's time to get used to the idea before it's official. Then come out with something like:

"The standard episode count from now on will be 8 episodes long. We still plan on Christmas episodes too. The reasons for this are partly financial, and partly due to other commitments by the actors/members of the production team. We don't see this as a bad thing because it allows for more time to be taken per episode- to make sure they are of the highest quality possible"

That would reassure everyone that there's no agenda to mess with the show so much before they axe it, and also let us know they are concentrating on quality rather than quantity, which is a very fair trade off.

Because we've had nothing but rumors about what might happen (and they ARE capable of forecasting and telling everyone what might happen- like they did before the 2009 specials, which wasn't a disappointing surprise when it rolled round because we knew all about it) it just leads to loads of arguments on forums like this and all across the internet, and people are just feeling let down. That is the real problem with all this.

Personally I'm going to enjoy what we do get. I'm going to secretly hope we get more than has been announced, although I deep down know it;s not going to happen, but still hoping.

Maybe with all the other unannounced stuff (and announced stuff like the docudrama and pointless celeb special) it might feel like there's loads on and I wont miss not having series 8 this year. I do feel that if we get loads of classic episodes on tv that would be a huge extra in my eyes and I'd be very happy about that. It might start to feel like the show was taking over tv then.

Either way it wont stop me being a fan and enjoying the show. (and we always want more of what we like) :)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Steven Moffat has confirmed via The Radio Times that what we have coming up for 2013 is series 7b, an anniversary special and a Christmas special. "....and then series 8 and beyond."

I think this might be the first official mention for some while of the existence of a series 8 named as such. But the anniversary special is not part of series 8 and none of it will be before Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Great stuff cannot wait to see the anniversary special :-) .
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm more than satisfied with this, I think. Yes, more is always lovely... but if it ensures a level of quality then I'm all up for it having this slight slowdown.

If we can bump the Anniversary special up to more than 60 minutes... 90, 75, even 70... I'll be exceedingly happy.

Hopefully we'll hit some more reguarity in the broadcast in 2014. With the changes in broadcast in Series 6, then again with Series 7, I feel the show could use it. I imagine Series 8 (and subsequent series) will be set up a bit more like Series 6 with a spring half and an autumn half. If we can reintroduce two-parters, at least for finales, then I'll be over the damn moon! ;):D
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think that means we'll be getting some of series 8 between Christmas and New Year? I hope not becaus that would just make 2014 seem like there is less doctor who. However, if it was to start like that and ends around April then see series 9 start somewhere near Christmas.

I think I do prefer it being from March/April through to the summer, but having the split means we don't have to wait as long for more episodes (excluding last years 9 month wait).
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I should think there is abaolutely no chance whatsoever of the announcement meaning that series 8 episodes will broadcast between 26th and 31st December.

Although I do look forward to being told that this is a possibility we cannot discount and we must remain optimistic for this until the finalised schedule for series 8 is published in the Radio Times.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Steven Moffat has confirmed via The Radio Times that what we have coming up for 2013 is series 7b, an anniversary special and a Christmas special. "....and then series 8 and beyond."

I think this might be the first official mention for some while of the existence of a series 8 named as such. But the anniversary special is not part of series 8 and none of it will be before Christmas.

That makes sense.

Series 8 will be a clean slate in that way.