How long does iPhone upgrade take to switch over SIM cards?

Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I upgraded but my new phone won't make calls or anything.

How long does it take?

Comments

• HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the network not the phone.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all the networks officially say it could take up to 24 hours, but in reality it's usually no more than a few hours at most.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Took me seconds on O2 yesterday
  • Joy2286Joy2286 Posts: 28,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends. I got the guy to do my transfer on O2 in the shop when I picked my phone up on my lunch break yesterday- by the time I was literally 100 yards out the door my number had transferred. However, my brother- also doing the same transfer on O2 was still waiting this morning so it really is seeming to vary.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting which is a little frustrating...does it require someone at "the other end" to switch it or could it happen over night?
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting which is a little frustrating...does it require someone at "the other end" to switch it or could it happen over night?

Have you turned your phone off and on? Also have you tried your old SIM card in a phone to see if it still gets signal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Have you turned your phone off and on? Also have you tried your old SIM card in a phone to see if it still gets signal?

Yeah tried the ol' on and off trick. My SIM is in my iPhone 4 and still working - still texting and whatnot off that one. Can send iMessages off the 5 phone but can't call or anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah tried the ol' on and off trick. My SIM is in my iPhone 4 and still working - still texting and whatnot off that one. Can send iMessages off the 5 phone but can't call or anything.

What network are you with?
    And how did you do the sim swap? In store/by phone/website?
    Did you get a confirmation email or text?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange
    I just did it myself - phone was delivered to my house so used SIM card they sent me.
    No confirmation anything as yet!
  • allenasusallenasus Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange
    I just did it myself - phone was delivered to my house so used SIM card they sent me.

Hello, upgrades can take be 24/48 hours unless supplied by 3rd party which can be 4/5 days, your sim card should switch off and shortly after your new sim should activate.

If you have ordered 3rd party , they have extra built in delays , just in case of parcel gets delays to prevent user being left without any service.

Worth noting if your new price plan has higher mins or text or data, you won't have these until the time of month where your mins refresh...hope this helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange

Did you upgrade direct with Orange?
    And What do you mean you did it yourself? How did you process the sim swap?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    If you upgraded with Carphone Warehouse direct, they've set the sim swaps to through on Monday between 7 and 9pm. And no, it can't be changed, sorry :(
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took about 4 hours on T-Mobile when I kicked it off online at about 12PM today.
    Turning off and on made no difference. Impatient patience did!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched to a nanosim last Tuesday with O2 and the swap took about 10 minutes. Was using it with an adaptor until the new phone arrived. The whole process varies by network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys. Guess I'll just have to keep playing the waiting game!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys. Guess I'll just have to keep playing the waiting game!

Have you given Orange a call?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still don't get how you did the sim swap, I'm pretty sure you have to call them to swap it over, or go in store or do it online.