The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Wow, shocked by that rating for The Voice. :eek:
    If it continues falling like that,it could be a very slippery slope. I didn't enjoy this weeks show much to be honest, much preferred the auditions and battle rounds.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    And how many viewers would have even known it was prerecorded, let alone put off by the fact ? Didn't seem to put off SCD viewers.

Enough to explain the drop.

SCD are older and less likely to look up the result on the internet (as I'm sure you know perfectly well.:p)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    If it continues falling like that,it could be a very slippery slope. I didn't enjoy this weeks show much to be honest, much preferred the auditions and battle rounds.
    After a dream start the wheels are starting to come off a bit, and the media are beginning to pick up on it. TWS just flagged up a story in the Metro about its decline, so another publication to add to the list that is currently reporting the story.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's been a lot of hype about The Voice. The BBC seem to have taken every opportunity they can to promote it; either ads between TV shows, their website homepage, or national radio.

Now it's got past the novelty value 'spinning chair' part, what is there to distinguish it from all the similar shows that have gone before?
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

The 7.30-8.00 section last week averaged 9.1/9.2 last Sunday and this week it had 8.6m between 7.25-8pm. So you're shocked by a 600k fall. If it was a like for like[7.30-8.00] it would even be less.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Agreed.

And I was also surprised that the Sunday show was recorded. I was expecting it to be live, like the X Factor is.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Enough to explain the drop.

SCD are older and less likely to look up the result on the internet (as I'm sure you know perfectly well.:p)

Maybe I think if it had gone out at around 9.30/40 live on a Saturday night it would have rated around the same anyway.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that the BBC will be more than content with that figure. for the pre-recorded results show. As with SCD, it's a cheap way of filling air-time and pulling a big enough audience.
    Forum Member
    5 a day wrote: »
    There's been a lot of hype about The Voice. The BBC seem to have taken every opportunity then can to promote it, either ads between TV shows, their website homepage, or national radio.

Now it's got past the novelty value 'spinning chair' part, what is there to distinguish it from all the similar shows that have gone before?
    That's pretty much exactly what they were saying on TV just now. It's gone from that to just people singing and a public vote... which isn't very new or distinctive at all, no matter how fancy the studio is.

According to The Telegraph it's only unique selling point is that it's "relentlessly positive" and it goes on to argue that it needs a villain. You do that though and then you really do become the BBC's X Factor.

There's probably something to that argument though. For me the feel-good vibe is about the only thing it has going for it, but the public at large probably feel differently. Look no further than this year's Dancing on Ice to see what a nicer judging panel for example can do to viewing figures. Nice = boring? :(
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTCC averaged 376k, 2.8% yesterday on ITV4. Peaked at 605k
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voice was just terrible in terms of Editing.
    you had the crowd noise like a riot yet the Camera shot was of an Audience just sitting down very calm just like waiting for the show to Begin.

Just before Sir Tom was going to decide who was staying the Audience noise was cut dead like someone stopping a Tape.Hollys performace was also berated.If the BBC are going to make the sunday show recorded they need to have a serious look at the production values the entire show was dead and they did such a good job keeping the spoilers off the internet.
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pre-recorded live show was such a misstep. And the first major mistake I think the BBC made.

As others have said, some terrible editing and fake audience applause, couple with the fact that they didn't even try and make it appear to be a different night (You'd think the judges would have changed outfits, at least?) made for a very lifeless show.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have time to do a full roundup, but...

18:30 - Countryfile: 7.04m (32.1%)

What the...?! :eek:
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Don't have time to do a full roundup, but...

18:30 - Countryfile: 7.04m (32.1%)

What the...?! :eek:

Countryfile was actually 18:25-19:25 so that will probably be adjusted - The Voice started at 19:25.

However Countryfile has always rated really well when it was the lead for the Strictly results so I guess it benefits from people switching on early for the following show.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1

Countryfile 7.04m (32.1%)
    The Voice 8.6m (35.1%)
    The Antiques Roadshow 5.53m (21.6%)
    Silent Witness 4.81m (18.8%),

ITV1
    All Star Family Fortunes 3.82m (16.1%) (+1: 240k)
    Vera 5.01m (20%) (+1: 261k)

Ch4
    Celebrity Deal or No Deal 1.77m (6.9%)
    Homeland 2.02m (8%) (+1: 323k)

Five
    Once Upon a Time 1.1m (4.3%) (+1: 190k)

BBC2
    Simon Reeve's Indian Ocean (2.34m/9.1%)
    Ewan McGregor's Cold Chain Mission (2.14m/7.6%)
    Match of the Day 2 2.91m (15.8%)

E4
    Desperate Housewives 723k (3.8%) (+1: 171k),

Sky 1
    Hawaii Five-0 511k (2%)

ITV2
    The Incredible Hulk 923k (3.8%) (+1: 301k)
    Benidorm 802k (3.1%) (+1: 144k)
    The Only Way Is Essex 1.07m (5.4%) (+1: 184k)

ITV4
    BTCC 376k (2.8%)

Primetime Share
    BBC One 23%, ITV1 16.1% (+1: 0.9%). BBC Two 8.7%, Channel 4 6.2% (+1: 1.1%), ITV2 3.9% (+1: 0.9%), Channel 5 3.8% (+1: 0.5%)
    Forum Member
    Since we're all keen to talk shares today, it's interesting that ITV2 was more popular than ITV1 amongst 16-34 year olds yesterday. Channel 5 and ITV1 were tied on a 5.5% share in this demographic, whilst ITV2 had 6.1%.

Channel 4 managed to narrowly beat BBC One to take the number one spot here (9.6% v 9.3%), even without The Voice. Presumably if it had that show it would be the clear ratings leader amongst young people on Sundays right now.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely one of the key ratings for the Voice will be next week, when people have seen what they like/don't like from the main show and decide if they want to stick with it.

If theres a signifigent decline then, then that will be when it happens.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Five
    Once Upon a Time 1.1m (4.3%) (+1: 190k)

Another big drop. Even lower than last week's, when they moved it to 9pm (up against Homeland), to avoid The Voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Surely one of the key ratings for the Voice will be next week, when people have seen what they like/don't like from the main show and decide if they want to stick with it.

If theres a signifigent decline then, then that will be when it happens.

Yep. The results show got what results shows get.
    It'd be better live on Saturday, but live on Sunday and it'd still get the same.

Even if The Voice ends up being a 8/9 million show, am pretty sure most people saw that as a success a few weeks ago :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Another big drop. Even lower than last week's, when they moved it to 9pm (up against Homeland), to avoid The Voice.
    Given the stronger +1 showing it wasn't down much more than about 100,000 overall. Hardly a "big drop" on last week. And still infinitely more popular than any drama broadcast on a Sky branded channel in the past 7 days.

But the trend is disappointing most definitely, it should have gone up last night really. In hindsight the Sunday slot was wrong for it, a more consistent timeslot on a weekday would have been better.

I'll see what the officials say later before I comment further. They'll be bitterly disappointed with these overnights though, for sure. They gave this show more support at launch than any other on the channel this year apart from Celebrity Big Brother, and it hasn't paid off.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimshaw wrote: »
    Yep. The results show got what results shows get.
    It'd be better live on Saturday, but live on Sunday and it'd still get the same.

Even if The Voice ends up being a 8/9 million show, am pretty sure most people saw that as a success a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Exactly. The only way The Voice could be seen as in trouble is if its ratings dip to below 7 million. As that would indicate a big audience drop off and a problem.

However

X Factor also usually dips after the auditions and then rebuilds its audience back up for the final. This isn't restricted to The Voice.

Talk about overreaction. There is nothing wrong with the ratings The Voice has pulled in. Its already more than many in this thread were expecting a few months ago. For one people need to remember its still a new show finding its feet and audience. Any problems they think the programme has they will act accordingly and iron them out. That is what you do with new formats... Early Strictly is completely different to the one we see now. As was X Factor. I'm not going to deny there was problems with the first live show as there was and everyone knows there was. Its up to the BBC to sort it out. Which they will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    How can people be surprised????
    The Voice dropped in every country after the blind auditions and even more after the battles. The battle rounds in the UK where very well made so the drop was little. The drop of around 10% here in the UK is actually great. In germany it dropped about 30% where in the US the drop is in the 40% range.
    This is a result show which is, although it is programmed on a stronger night, much less interesting then the contestants singing. The programs surounding the Voice have much older viewers which doen't help. And it's just an half hour show so it can't build its total viewers.
    Forum Member
    X Factor also usually dips after the auditions and then rebuilds its audience back up for the final.
    The Voice is not following the same pattern as X Factor. It's a bit misleading to suggest this.

The first X Factor results show last year was actually its second best rating episode up to that point, beaten only by the finalists being revealed the previous week.

The Voice's first results show last night produced its second worst rating to date, indeed you'd have to go back as far as its premiere over 5 weeks ago to find a lower rated episode.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The Voice is not following the same pattern as X Factor. It's a bit misleading to suggest this.

The first X Factor results show last year was actually its second best rating episode up to that point, beaten only by the finalists being revealed the previous week.

The Voice's first results show last night produced its second worst rating to date, indeed you'd have to go back as far as its premiere over 5 weeks ago to find a lower rated episode.

You cannot compare one X Factor rating against one The Voice rating. Its well known X Factor often suffered dips following the end of the auditions. You have 8 series to go back and look through to see I am right and only 1 live episode of The Voice to try and prove your point with.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its ridiculous that The Voice results show is not live. However that figure is not bad at all when compared to DOI results or X Factor results before it moved to Sundays and considering its a half hour sandwiched in between shows with presumably different audiences. I think it is a mistake though.
    Another good share win for BBC1, but Silent Witness overnight is in Upstairs Downstairs territory.
This discussion has been closed.