FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Is the movie as good as the book?

Comments

• LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The movie that hasn't been made yet? Hmm. Let's say "YES". Or maybe "NO".
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't a film of the book, is there?

edit in light of previous reply: there's nothing on imdb, anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Kloves has been working on adapting the book in to a movie for a few years now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite books of all time, I hope if they make a film it's done well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice clip of the stage version
    http://www.curiousonstage.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Having read the book, a few years ago mind. I can't see it working as a film, bits of it are very internal, the story is quite bleak and the hero is, to put it nicely, incredibly "non-traditional" and that will probably causes issues. I think they'd have to change so much for it to work for a mainstream audience that it's not really worth it.

And then they'd Americanise it, because heaven forbid an Englishman not be a charming evil tea drinker...
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    One of the best books ever
    One of the best plays ever
    Let's hope the film is just as good :)
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Kloves did a great job of adapting 6 of the Harry Potter books in to movies so I'm sure he is capable of doing a good job on this book too.
    Forum Member
    I have nothing against the writer, I'm just saying that in order for the film to work in Hollywood they'd have to change so much (and they'd probably move it to America) that it wouldn't really do the book justice. My primary concern would be that they have to play down the Autism/Asperger's aspect of the book in order to portray a more normal protagonist, which would defeat the entire point of the book.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have nothing against the writer, I'm just saying that in order for the film to work in Hollywood they'd have to change so much (and they'd probably move it to America) that it wouldn't really do the book justice. My primary concern would be that they have to play down the Autism/Asperger's aspect of the book in order to portray a more normal protagonist, which would defeat the entire point of the book.

Maybe, but isn't it right that the name of his disability is never revealed in the story? This means Kloves can name Christopher's condition however he likes. I'm willing to bet that he won't name it, like the novel. And I agree, the setting will probably be relocated to the U.S. No big deal, really.

It's possible that Kloves (who's apparently set to direct the adaptation) will portray Christopher as an ordinary teenager, who happens to see the world differently from people around him, which could be revealed through his interactions and reactions that will put him at odds with the world. It can be done and well. There are films with this approach that works. Examples:

God's Ears
    According to a former colleague, this film offers the best portrayal of an adult with autism. I had lower-than-low expectations (an autistic boxer falls for an exotic dancer? Come on!), but the film was good enough to have me eating two slices of a humble pie afterwards. :o

Perks of Being a Wallflower
    This film accidentally has the best portrayal of a teenager with Mild Asperger. The character's mannerisms, behaviour, reactions, thinking pattern and the way he interacts with people are strikingly similar to those of my spouse's 19-year-old godson with Mild Asperger.

The Lookout
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character isn't autistic nor does he have Asperger. He's left brain-damaged after a road accident, which affects his memory function, the way he processes information and how he interacts with people. We don't know how extensive, which is eventually revealed through his actions and interactions. I thought the portrayal and handling of his disability were reasonably well done.

Ben X
    Teen video gamer with Asperger. I haven't seen this film, but the former colleague liked the film's portrayal enough to recommend it. The film has flaws, but what he liked is that the teen's obsessive and repetitive nature reflects in his thinking and beheaviour, which he felt was spot on.

Can Kloves pull it off, though? I haven't seen Harry Potter films and The Fabulous Baker Boys, but I did see Racing with the Moon, Wonder Boys and Flesh and Bone. My bet is on "maybe".
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Maybe, but isn't it right that the name of his disability is never revealed in the story? This means Kloves can name Christopher's condition however he likes. I'm willing to bet that he won't name it, like the novel. And I agree, the setting will probably be relocated to the U.S. No big deal, really.

It's possible that Kloves (who's apparently set to direct the adaptation) will portray Christopher as an ordinary teenager, who happens to see the world differently from people around him, which could be revealed through his interactions and reactions that will put him at odds with the world. It can be done and well. There are films with this approach that works....

Can Kloves pull it off, though? I haven't seen Harry Potter films and The Fabulous Baker Boys, but I did see Racing with the Moon, Wonder Boys and Flesh and Bone. My bet is on "maybe".

It's mentioned in the blurb but not present in the text itself, and it's been very much presented as being about Asperger's. Mark Haddon regrets mentioning it though, so it's possible they won't mention it explicitly.

I don't think it will work, because the character suffers from sensory overload and regularly becomes upset by things which wouldn't affect most people. I think they might be asked to change those elements, to "Hollywoodise" it.

It's also not the most child friendly book, having caused a storm in Texas for uses of the f word and the lead's exclamation about there being no god. I wonder if it might have issues being accurate and getting a PG-13...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it will work, because the character suffers from sensory overload and regularly becomes upset by things which wouldn't affect most people. I think they might be asked to change those elements, to "Hollywoodise" it.

Sounds like I'm a lot more optimistic than you are. :D
    It's also not the most child friendly book, having caused a storm in Texas for uses of the f word and the lead's exclamation about there being no god. I wonder if it might have issues being accurate and getting a PG-13...

Well, Haddon did say that he doesn't know much about the disability, which means the question of accuracy is moot, surely? The Perks of Being a Wallflower has managed to get a PG-13 so I think it won't be a problem.
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Sounds like I'm a lot more optimistic than you are. :D

Well, Haddon did say that he doesn't know much about the disability, which means the question of accuracy is moot, surely? The Perks of Being a Wallflower has managed to get a PG-13 so I think it won't be a problem.

I meant accuracy to the novel. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is less problematic, if my understanding is correct, there's fewer f words, less sequences of threat and no sequence in which a dog has a pitchfork thrust into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant accuracy to the novel. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is less problematic, if my understanding is correct, there's fewer f words, less sequences of threat and no sequence in which a dog has a pitchfork thrust into it.

Fair enough. I don't believe a film adaptation can ever work when very faithful to a novel. Well, I haven't seen any that's succeeded, anyway. Not surprising as we're talking about two different mediums.