Gerry Anderson RIP

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    jwsg wrote: »
    The UFO series are arguably the pinnacle of British Sci-Fi, with a drama sadly lacking in some modern television.

Agreed, great TV series.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,266
    Forum Member
    Twizzle

Torchy the Battery Boy

Four Feather Falls

Supercar

Fireball XL5

Stingray

Thunderbirds.

Not sure of the chronology from there but there were still some good 'uns. UFO was excellent.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Four Feather Falls is one of the first TV shows I remember..............:o

RIP Gerry.............a pioneer in TV
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerry Anderson created childhood memories for a generation. Its a unique body of work and Gerry has a place in tv history for sure.
    RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Joe 90 always censored from history? Not a mention for it today.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a bit of a fun time this afternoon playing some of the Theme tunes from the shows :)

Great stuff and great memories from being a kid
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Gerry Anderson

Is Sylvia Anderson still alive ? They never mentioned her.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to hear about his death.At least he had a good productive life,a good innings too.
    A top bloke.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Major part of my childhood also. Infact all the family could enjoy the show. All ages. All the characters were so memorable and the spaceships/cars,etc. All perfect really. I bought Thunderbird models and captain scarlett cars. Never forget them.
    So much care was taken making his programmes. The music was brilliant also. Theme tunes just perfect
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderbirds is really good! The series, that is. It's great watching the puppets being controlled in such a lifelike manner!
  • DixDix Posts: 79,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my. RIP. :(

Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Stingray made up a big part of my childhood.

Used to watch it too..Thunderbirds are go! R.I.P
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    <<<<<<<<< Gutting news.

Remember him for the live action stuff, it’s what he would’ve wanted. UFO, Space 1999, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun/Doppelganger etc.. Those and the quite superb CGI Captain Scarlet.

R.I.P.F.A.B.

He created my childhood, simple as.

R.I.P. S.I.G.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    steviex wrote: »
    I saw the tributes to him on the news. They showed all of his puppet series and Space 1999 but didn't mention UFO, which was one of my favourites.

F.A.B. Gerry. Thanks for the wonderful childhood TV memories.

R.I.P.

Bleedin UFO they put that on so late when I was a kid, I'd fall asleep before the end, sleep deprivation test.
    I had Ed Strakers car though :)

Oh dear, just found out Ed Bishop's dead too, 2005.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolores Mantez (purple hair girl) of UFO also died recently too.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Anyone remember his first...Supercar.

My husband does! He loved Fireball XL5 too.
    I started watching with Stingray 'Anything can happen in the next half hour'!
    My favourite was Thunderbirds. Absolute class.
    RIP Mr Anderson. Your were FAB. :(
  • bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Was a big fan of Thundrbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlett has kid but never saw Joe 90, Fireball XL5, or Supercar. Thank you for the childhood memories Gerry Anderson. R.I.P.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such sad news. Another piece of my childhood gone. RIP.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Major part of my childhood also. Infact all the family could enjoy the show. All ages. All the characters were so memorable and the spaceships/cars,etc. All perfect really. I bought Thunderbird models and captain scarlett cars. Never forget them.
    So much care was taken making his programmes. The music was brilliant also. Theme tunes just perfect[/QUOTE]

The theme from Thunderbirds is one of the great TV themes of all time. Just thinking of it gets the adrenaline pumping.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite GA related story: he once wangled a visit to the site where Concord was being built, without telling anyone who he was, but one of the engineers got suspicious. Eventually he had to own up and confess he was the creator of "Thunderbirds".
    The engineer gave him a quizzical look and said "Come with me." GA, seeing a cell and handcuffs in his immediate future, followed him to one of the design studios where the engineer opened a plan chest and took out some blueprints.
    GA was amazed to see that in their spare time, the Concord team were working out how to make Thunderbird 2 fly!
    R.I.P. You are officially forgiven for "Terrahawks".
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much care was taken making his programmes. The music was brilliant also. Theme tunes just perfect[/QUOTE]

The theme from Thunderbirds is one of the great TV themes of all time. Just thinking of it gets the adrenaline pumping.

Indeed. Barry Gray could turn his hand to anything and would always produce something that caught the mood. The fast action music that accompanied any perilous action was incredible, and the triumphant music that started up when a rescue was completed really stirred the blood!
  • stinker watsonstinker watson Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    caught this sad news late on last night so i came here to say this.

one of my earliest memories is from about 69-70 when aged 4-5 ish i used a large woodscrew as the mole, getting the effect of it burrowing into the ground by getting at eye level with a table, then moving it up and down the opposite edge! a happy and precious memory influenced by Gerry Anderson.

R.I.P. Gerry, and my sincerest condolences to your family.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thunderbirds are gone............Gerry Anderson R.I.P.
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The genius behind all my favourite shows as a child, thanks Gerry for making my childhood so great!

A true pioneer of childrens TV, rest in peace Gerry.
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinn. wrote: »
    Arguably the best Sci-Fi writer that British TV ever had... F.A.B

Cannot agree with that. Captain Scarlet and UFO owed much to writer and script editor Tony Barwick and lets not forget the tone for most of the series' created by composer Barry Gray who made so much money from his music he had to live in Guensey. Been gone 28 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing that he managed to capture the imagination of 2 generations of children. Kids TV these days is absolutely abysmal.

my 13 year old lad and his 79 year old granny are sitting here watching captain scarlet (the animated version) at the moment. says something of the quality of the things Gerry Anderson created. remakes and another generation totally absorbed by the concept.