The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• chris_bauerchris_bauer Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Let's Dance would have got over 7.07m last week had BBC1+1 existed.... :rolleyes:

Every so often, I'll take a look at this thread and find the exact same thing. You moaning about the same old things.

Rambling on about +1 ratings, trying to criticise a successful performance by an ITV programme or calling people "ITVistas", I mean honestly, the fact you have even coined that phrase suggest you need to get out more. How anyone can be such an obsessive fan of a TV channel - not even a programme - a channel, is just beyond me.

When it is ten to one on a Sunday morning and you are posting comments about your loathing for ITV, probably suggests you should find a hobby.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Why are you debating it then?! Of course it would, if BBC One had a +1 it would comfortably be the most watched +1 there is, with ratings regularly over 500k. Let's Dance would probably of averaged around 7.20m.

Anyway BBC1 doesn't have one, so statements such as 'SNT is the most watched Saturday night programme of the year', are entirely invalid.

Well no, because how do you know it wouldn't have been 6.2m on BBC1 with 500k on +1 taking it up to the 6.7m it got in total? Chances are it would have been somewhere in the middle, with 6.4/6.5m on BBC1 and a total of 6.9/7.0m. Also, I think the statement that if BBC1 had a +1 ratings would regularly be above 500k is somewhat silly given that ITV+1 tends to average 200-300k and BBC1's regular primetime ratings aren't that much higher than ITV's.

I didn't make that statement in your second paragraph either. I kind of agree that it may seem a little unfair to say that, but I think it's equally unfair to just write off an overnight audience of above 600k that under the VOSDAL rule should count anyway, so overall it is the most watched Saturday night programme of the year.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Not quite: 4.98m (22.35%).

Thanks Neil :cool:
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you know they are:)

exc/ inc +1
    Totally YBF: 3.32m (15.4%) / 3.63m (16.8%)
    TMO: 4.17m (18.8%) / 4.39m (19.8%)
    Ross: 2.79m (14.3%) / 2.99m (15.3%)

I thought they would be, yeah. Thanks Neil. :)

I think that's a little underwhelming for Take Me Out considering the lead-in, although it was 90 minutes long which for a lightweight dating show is a real stretch. The Cube probably won't do any better next week though.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    Neil, do you have the overnight ratings for last week's Got to Dance (quite late to ask this but oh well)?
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the first and second episodes of Push the Button got? :)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    But if BBC one shows that game, Ant and Dec will get over 7million and that's without +1. BBC can't let that happen with doctor who and the Voice launching soon afterwards. For the long term benefit of viewers and as a channel which should be educating, entertaining as many people as possible, it would be better to put rugby on bbc2 imo.

You do know there are five million Scots in Scotland? You do know that Scotland is still part of the UK? You do know that some 2 million Scottish households will watch the match? You do know that the same amount of households in England will watch the match too don't you? BBC1 can't decide not to show a UK nation match just because it isn't England. There is a lot of interest throughout the UK for the six nations. They are right and proper to show it on BBC1.

Ant and Dec have their following. They proved it last night. But launching with around 6-7 million was an indication that those who follow them tuned in to watch. I don't like SNT or Ant & Dec. I also don't like Rugby. But, I wouldnt watch SNT just because Rugby was on the other side. Many people would share my way of thinking. SNT will remain around where it is now.
    Forum Member
    Going on the last series, SNT may consolidate by roughly 400k.

Series 1's premiere had an official figure of 5.51m, Series 7 6.59m and Series 8 6.41m. All the other premieres had an official figure of well over 7.5m, even 9m for the third series.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You do know there are five million Scots in Scotland? You do know that Scotland is still part of the UK? You do know that some 2 million Scottish households will watch the match? You do know that the same amount of households in England will watch the match too don't you? BBC1 can't decide not to show a UK nation match just because it isn't England.

They can if it's a dead rubber. The championship decider is highly likely to be Wales v England, so it makes sense to move France v Scotland to BBC2 (a channel that everyone in Scotland is able to receive).
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    You do know there are five million Scots in Scotland? You do know that Scotland is still part of the UK? You do know that some 2 million Scottish households will watch the match? You do know that the same amount of households in England will watch the match too don't you? BBC1 can't decide not to show a UK nation match just because it isn't England. There is a lot of interest throughout the UK for the six nations. They are right and proper to show it on BBC1.

Ant and Dec have their following. They proved it last night. But launching with around 6-7 million was an indication that those who follow them tuned in to watch. I don't like SNT or Ant & Dec. I also don't like Rugby. But, I wouldnt watch SNT just because Rugby was on the other side. Many people would share my way of thinking. SNT will remain around where it is now.
    Look, I completely get it that the game will have more relevance in Scotland. But it wont count for anything, both Scotland and France are doing rubbish in the Six Nations, and the Scots can tune over to BBC Two if they really want to watch it.

More people overall will watch the BBC if the Scotland game is shown on BBC Two. 4.5million would watch BBC One's shows like In It To Win It and Casualty and probably about 2.5million for BBC2 rugby = 7million overall. If BBC One shows the rugby, that will probably get something like 3.5million and only 2million will watch BBC Twos usual shows = 5.5million overall. Surely it is better if the BBC serves more viewers overall? That would be done by putting the rugby on BBC2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every so often, I'll take a look at this thread and find the exact same thing. You moaning about the same old things.

Rambling on about +1 ratings, trying to criticise a successful performance by an ITV programme or calling people "ITVistas", I mean honestly, the fact you have even coined that phrase suggest you need to get out more. How anyone can be such an obsessive fan of a TV channel - not even a programme - a channel, is just beyond me.

When it is ten to one on a Sunday morning and you are posting comments about your loathing for ITV, probably suggests you should find a hobby.

It's part of the tradition and history of this thread. It's not up to you to decide anothers viewpoint. Robbie is well respected on here and yes his opinions are occasionally belittled and ripped to shreds, but there are others who are the same over ITV as Robbie is to ITV. If it's beyond you fine, don't participate in a discussion that has been carried over for 45 parts. For some regulars, this thread is a place to chat about telly in general. That's why we are all here.

And there are many (me included) who agree with Robbie about ITV bloody plus one. If there isn't a level playing field it can't be comparable. It's like saying a football team with 16 players won a match against a team of 9.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, I completely get it that the game will have more relevance in Scotland. But it wont count for anything, both Scotland and France are doing rubbish in the Six Nations, and the Scots can tune over to BBC Two if they really want to watch it.

More people overall will watch the BBC if the Scotland game is shown on BBC Two. 4.5million would watch BBC One's shows like In It To Win It and Casualty and probably about 2.5million for BBC2 rugby = 7million overall. If BBC One shows the rugby, that will probably get something like 3.5million and only 2million will watch BBC Twos usual shows = 5.5million overall. Surely it is better if the BBC serves more viewers overall? That would be done by putting the rugby on BBC2.

OK. I see your point, but perhaps the BBC is contractually obligated to show all matches on BBC1? Six Nations is a big sports commitment for them. They aint gonna risk losing it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Well no, because how do you know it wouldn't have been 6.2m on BBC1 with 500k on +1 taking it up to the 6.7m it got in total? Chances are it would have been somewhere in the middle, with 6.4/6.5m on BBC1 and a total of 6.9/7.0m. Also, I think the statement that if BBC1 had a +1 ratings would regularly be above 500k is somewhat silly given that ITV+1 tends to average 200-300k and BBC1's regular primetime ratings aren't that much higher than ITV's.

I didn't make that statement in your second paragraph either. I kind of agree that it may seem a little unfair to say that, but I think it's equally unfair to just write off an overnight audience of above 600k that under the VOSDAL rule should count anyway, so overall it is the most watched Saturday night programme of the year.

My views on +1 are well known. I share the same opinion as Robbie and Ronant. But at least you rightly say "Including +1 SNT is the most watched Saturday night show of the year". At least that statement is both accurate and not misleading.

Mind you, I fail to understand the popularity of Ant & Dec. But I guess it's horses for courses.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. I see your point, but perhaps the BBC is contractually obligated to show all matches on BBC1? Six Nations is a big sports commitment for them. They aint gonna risk losing it!

There is no contractual obligation. Scotland v France was shown on BBC2 last year.

http://www.touchline.tv/tv/rugby/six-nations-2012-live-on-the-bbc-s4c

The new BBC contract covers 2014-17.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    There is no contractual obligation. Scotland v France was shown on BBC2 last year.

http://www.touchline.tv/tv/rugby/six-nations-2012-live-on-the-bbc-s4c

The new BBC contract covers 2014-17.

Ok. Thanks for the clarity. Means that the BBC obviously don't think logically like you guys then!
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the first and second episodes of Push the Button got? :)

Ant & Dec's Push the Button
    Series 1

Ep 1 (27/02/10): 6.57m (26.7%)
    Ep 2 (06/03/10): 5.74m (24.4%)
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Neil, do you have the overnight ratings for last week's Got to Dance (quite late to ask this but oh well)?

Sunday 17th February 2013
    Sky 1 (exc +1)
    18:00-19:30 - Got to Dance: 667k (2.9%)
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I don't understand though why they can't wait until after this third weekend of games to decide the order of games on the final day - still gives them three weeks notice, as much as any FA Cup game, and the games will still happen on that day, so rearranging kick-off times isn't too much of a logistical nightmare.

Would it still be possible to jiggle the final day's schedule? They could dump France v Scotland in the afternoon, put England v Wales on at 20:00 and start the build-up at 19:00 which would give BBC One a fighting chance against Ant & Dec (presuming they stay in their 19:00 timeslot). Incidentally, I notice that there are 8 episodes of Takeaway this series.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if BBC one shows that game, Ant and Dec will get over 7million and that's without +1. BBC can't let that happen with doctor who and the Voice launching soon afterwards. For the long term benefit of viewers and as a channel which should be educating, entertaining as many people as possible, it would be better to put rugby on bbc2 imo.

Let's Dance has just dropped 1.7m when the competition got tougher. No reason why SNT wouldn't drop when it faces tougher competition (though possibly not by 1.7m).

If it gets 7m against the rugby when it gets 6.5m against Let's Dance then the extra half million would be casual viewers that could easily be lured elsewhere in future weeks. And I refuse to believe that all 6.5m viewers last night must watch SNT every week irrespective of what else is happening.:D
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=NeilVW;64438775

Would it still be possible to jiggle the final day's schedule? They could dump France v Scotland in the afternoon, put England v Wales on at 20:00 and start the build-up at 19:00 which would give BBC One a fighting chance against Ant & Dec (presuming they keep their 19:00 timeslot). Incidentally, I notice that there are 8 episodes of Takeaway this series.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't France play a lot of later in the day games for the benefit of French TV?

And tickets for the matches will have already been sold, so no, it wouldn't be possible to jiggle the final day's schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ant & Dec's Push the Button
    Series 1

Ep 1 (27/02/10): 6.57m (26.7%)
    Ep 2 (06/03/10): 5.74m (24.4%)

Sunday 17th February 2013
    Sky 1 (exc +1)
    18:00-19:30 - Got to Dance: 667k (2.9%)

Would it still be possible to jiggle the final day's schedule? They could dump France v Scotland in the afternoon, put England v Wales on at 20:00 and start the build-up at 19:00 which would give BBC One a fighting chance against Ant & Dec (presuming they keep their 19:00 timeslot). Incidentally, I notice that there are 8 episodes of Takeaway this series.

I doubt very much if the organising committee behind the Six Nations are even remotely considering Saturday Night TakeAway. And, the BBC are not necessarily running scared of it either. The BBC promotion teams are uisually a lot more intense than ITV's. There will be many trails for The Voice over the next few weeks. And, if SNT starts at 7, you can probably win a bet that The Voice will start at 6.40.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I doubt very much if the organising committee behind the Six Nations are even remotely considering Saturday Night TakeAway.

LOL, I guess not, but can the BBC not bring its influence to bear on the schedule, particularly given the potential dead-rubber nature of certain matches? The ticketing issue which iandb mentions is a sticking-point, however. England and Wales fans might not take kindly to a match finishing at 9.30-10pm when they expected it to be 6.30-7pm.
    Forum Member
    8 episodes of SNT would take it to 13th April wouldn't it? Doesn't BGT also start on that day? I would assume it'll be SNT first and then BGT and maybe The Cube afterwards. Would maybe push SNT back to 6pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    8 episodes of SNT would take it to 13th April wouldn't it? Doesn't BGT also start on that day? I would assume it'll be SNT first and then BGT and maybe The Cube afterwards. Would maybe push SNT back to 6pm.

A good strong schedule for ITV there. But equally a good strong schedule from the BBC with Doctor Who and The Voice and of course Casualty. The spring will indeed be an interesting time for ratings observers!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind you, I fail to understand the popularity of Ant & Dec. But I guess it's horses for courses.

They are one of the few cross cultural 'acts', really. Possibly a throwback to the way TV created entertainers in the 60s/70s etc - like Morecambe and Wise (which you can see were a big influence on them).

Like Miranda Hart (who has similar influences and broad fan base) they are not trying to be edgy 21st century comedians or presenters. They know this way they will be loved by (nearly) all. And you can tell they enjoy what they are doing which translstes immediately to the watching audience.

Everyone from kids to grannies likes them and they are totally none threatening, understanding what a family audience means. They enhance any show they present - turning a poor show into a watchable one and adding 1 million + viewers to any minor hit.

If they were presenting Dancing on Ice it would still be losing viewers, as the format is tiring. But it would be in less of a crisis simply because they were at the helm.

I bet the BBC would pay a lot to poach them but ITV will not let them go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are one of the few cross cultural 'acts', really. Possibly a throwback to the way TV created entertainers in the 60s/70s etc - like Morecambe and Wise (which you can see were a big influence on them).

Like Miranda Hart (who has similar influences and broad fan base) they are not trying to be edgy 21st century comedians or presenters. They know this way they will be loved by (nearly) all. And you can tell they enjoy what they are doing which translstes immediately to the watching audience.

Everyone from kids to grannies likes them and they are totally none threatening, understanding what a family audience means. They enhance any show they present - turning a poor show into a watchable one and adding 1 million + viewers to any minor hit.

If they were presenting Dancing on Ice it would still be losing viewers, as the format is tiring. But it would be in less of a crisis simply because they were at the helm.

I bet the BBC would pay a lot to poach them but ITV will not let them go.

Thanks for your post. Even if I don't particularly rate them (I don't dislike them either), you have clearly summed up reasons for their popularity.

It also demonstrates ITV's ability to create stars. I can see why celebs go to ITV. They really do know how to fulfill stars' potentials. The BBC do not seem to be able to do this. They had two lads with potential in Dick and Dom. Rather than explore and promote these two, they kept giving them the same morons on a mission role which ultimately became tiresome and then led to them losing any credibility they had with the audience. Ant & Dec started off as child actors and as a spoof pop act. It was only ITV's confidence in their abilities that brought them stardom.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,459
    Forum Member
    Cracking start for Takeaway, and it had a big impact on numbers for Lets Dance.

Very impressive too for the Rugby. I may have missed it - any peak figure for the match? Or a 'match average'?
This discussion has been closed.