Is there a setting to use desktop web sites by default?

JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
Forum Member
I'm using Google Chrome on my 10" Samsung/Android tablet

Every page I open I have to specify "Use Desktop site" (instead of the default mobile site with 4 words per page and no links)

Is there a setting to use desktop web sites by default? (either Google Chrome setting or Android setting)

I dont use Facebook app for same reason (10" photos) and much prefer browser, dont use Google+ apps or indeed any apps at all that just access the web

apps are fine for my mobile where you cant read web pages properly but there is simply no need for web apps on a 10" screen - it is big enough to read web pages same as my PC - and my PC dont need no 'special apps' to access wed sites

I might have to use a better browser on my tablet, but I prefer GC because it's alllllllll synced up with my mobile & PC

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the same problem on my Nexus 7; tend to find myself using Firefox more often now.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    I'm using Google Chrome on my 10" Samsung/Android tablet

Every page I open I have to specify "Use Desktop site" (instead of the default mobile site with 4 words per page and no links)

Is there a setting to use desktop web sites by default? (either Google Chrome setting or Android setting)

I dont use Facebook app for same reason (10" photos) and much prefer browser, dont use Google+ apps or indeed any apps at all that just access the web

apps are fine for my mobile where you cant read web pages properly but there is simply no need for web apps on a 10" screen - it is big enough to read web pages same as my PC - and my PC dont need no 'special apps' to access wed sites

I might have to use a better browser on my tablet, but I prefer GC because it's alllllllll synced up with my mobile & PC
    Have you tried Google Chrome beta? It's available in the Play store and doesn't seem to have the same problem (ie it remembers the setting).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Have you tried Google Chrome beta? It's available in the Play store and doesn't seem to have the same problem (ie it remembers the setting).

I can't find it in the play store. Is it not compatible with nexus 10?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Dolphin HD browser and find it's the most 'like a regular' desktop browser for my needs and seems to remember the desktop setting.

I does bug me that Firefox for Android doesn't seem anywhere near as good as the desktop version. I appreciate it's hard to make a touchscreen tablet do the same but Dolphin has nearly achieved a decent browser that is very close to what you use on a full size computer.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »

'beta' suggests its a version "in development"

I have actual "Google Chrome" (working version) installed

are you saying Google Chrome Beta is different version?

Maybe give that a try Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'beta' suggests its a version "in development"

I have actual "Google Chrome" (working version) installed

are you saying Google Chrome Beta is different version?

Maybe give that a try Thanks

Chrome Beta is a stable release of the next version AFAIK. Anyway it seems stable on my Nexus 7 and not had any issues with it so far. It doesn't replace your existing version of Chrome and can be installed along side. Easy enough to remove.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not exactly having your issue on nexus 7 chrome. I requested desktop site for only certain sites like onces in a month. Most sites are in desktop site. Maybe your resetting something?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Beta doesn't mean the same thing in Google speak as it normally does.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish i could transfer all the cookies and data cache from chrome to beta.

I cant be bothered to input all my passwords again! :(
  • Sandy AlessandroSandy Alessandro Posts: 13,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    I am not exactly having your issue on nexus 7 chrome. I requested desktop site for only certain sites like onces in a month. Most sites are in desktop site. Maybe your resetting something?
    I have the same problem as the OP. I don't want mobile versions of sites on my Nexus 7, but it is the default and there seems to be no way to make desktop browsing the default.

Its a PITA, so I would be interested to hear if the OP finds a solution.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    Tried chrome beta - no different

Always defaults to mobile web site (4 words per page)

Even my 345623432 year old blackberry had several different browser options in settings

Bit surprised a company the size of google could make such a school boy over sight

Pains me that I have google chrome all synced up but I can't use it - looks opera have another customer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried chrome beta - no different

Always defaults to mobile web site (4 words per page)

Even my 345623432 year old blackberry had several different browser options in settings

Bit surprised a company the size of google could make such a school boy over sight

Pains me that I have google chrome all synced up but I can't use it - looks opera have another customer
    What website (for example) are you having a problem with?